Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help Getting Confused

Johnsonsyard

Hi Everyone, First new Fiesta for 11 years so you can imagine some catching up to do. Have new Ford Fiesta ecoboost 1.0 5 door Zetec . Has this new easyfuel system . Have noticed that the flap does not lock so anyone could just open it . Is this right ? Also today a dull day and lights have been on at front. Am I right in thinking this will be Daytime running lamps ? Manual does not make any of thsi clear.

Regards and thanks

Nick

The fuel flap does not lock. There is nothing inside to steal, and the fuel cannot be siphoned. It's also not possible to fill up with diesel instead of petrol and vice versa

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Ford OC mobile app

The lights are always on at the front regardless.

Yes the flap is always open but don't worry no one steals fuel these days, don't !Removed! your ex off and she won't pour sugar in there.

As above fuel filler is fords easy fuel system theres no cap, its to save time ( supposedly ) and prevent misfueling

Thanks everyone above . Solved my problems. It's not always easy getting the information from these manuals. Still Like my 2003 Fiesta but it's still in the family as my son has it.

Regards

Nick

the easy fuel flap should lock under the cars central locking system....

It would be nice if it did. Sure people can't open it easily and siphon stuff out but it's not that hard to put stuff in!

it should do, go out and dead lock ur car and just try n push it in....

I can confirm 100% it doesn't lock. If it did I would be unable to refuel the way I do as I always double lock the car after getting out, then just pull the flap open. Even my 2001 fiesta had a locking door!

the door/flap doesnt lock, the entry to the fuel pipe locks, the little metal flap, whats around 2" in diameter

Ok everyone , getting confused again . With the easy fuel flap I don't even need to push it in to get it open and it does not lock even when double locked ? So who is right here ? I will defer to your better knowledge on this .

Regards to all

Nick

read up on it... east fuel system little flap locks on central locking.... i know i have it fitted to my focus....

unless they changed it on the festa, but doubt it...

To summarise, the outside door doesn't lock at all, this can be opened at any time. The metal flap inside only opens when the correct size nozzle is pushed into it. This is what prevents you putting diesel in a petrol car and vice versa, because the pump nozzles are different sizes and won't push the right bits in the right way to open the flap. This flap is also not locked in any way - it will open to anything the correct size (ie fuel pump) at any time.

I didn't know the Focus actually locked. So you have to have your car unlocked to refuel? On both my current ST and previous Zetec-S I would get out, double lock it then open the fuel door and fill up. Definitely not locked!

can only fuel up unlocked yes.... my car is doubled locked on the drive now, if i open the body flap, i cannot push my finger into the fuel pipe, as the little metal flap is locked

Oh right, wonder why they do it on the Focus but not the Fiesta. It's worth saying though, I can't push the metal flap open on mine either because my finger isn't the same size as a fuel pipe... It looks like there's little plastic clips round the edge which I assume have to all be pushed the right amount at the same time. Anything the wrong size won't push these clips and it will not open.

So its not siphon proof then. Just stick a piece of pipe on the metal plate, same size as a fuel nozzle, then feed a smaller pipe through that one, garden hose etc. Or am i getting the wrong end of the stick. Not saying anyone should try it of course, but Ford say its siphon proof.

In addition to everything that's been said above there are apparently baffles inside the filler tube too, so if you did get the flap open and poke a hose in it wouldn't go that far. You can't see these obviously so there's no easy way of actually confirming it but this is what I have read and been told.

Liquid is also sensed travelling the wrong way (eg being syphoned) and the shutter is supposed to close

A great discussion everyone . Found article on Top Gear Site .

Ford addresses concerns over Fiesta's capless fuel tank

http://www.topgear.com.ph/news/ford-addresses-concerns-over-fiesta-s-capless-fuel-tank

"

How does it work?
The Easy Fuel capless fuel-filler system acts as an integrated spring-loaded flapper door that allows customers to simply insert the fuel nozzle into the tank to fill up. Easy Fuel automatically seals after the fuel nozzle is removed--no waiting for customers to re-secure the cap, emitting fewer evaporative emissions into the environment. The technology was introduced by Ford in 2008, and other car manufacturers are following suit. Presently, in the Philippines, the 2010 Expedition and the all-new Fiesta are among the Ford vehicles that make use of the Easy Fuel capless fuel-filler system.

What about customers' fear that vandals might tamper with the fuel tank?
We can assure our valued customers that the Fiesta's capless fuel system is perfectly safe and secure. Ford engineers are not so clueless as to fail to take this into the design consideration. We invite everyone to personally inspect the Fiesta at any of our dealerships. Tampering with its capless fuel system is just as difficult as tampering with a regular locked fuel lid.

To summarize, the benefits of capless refueling are?
No lost fuel caps, no dirty hands, no risk of unwanted fuels, reduced carbon dioxide emissions, and a fuel tank that's sealed for dust and water. The Fiesta's capless fueling is changing the benchmark. It really is the smarter choice "

I open this for your comment.

Nick

the easy fuel flap should lock under the cars central locking system....

This is NOT the case for the Fiesta.

The easy-fuel system is syphon proof unless you use the specific plastic funnel that Ford provides to allow filling from cans or pouring in fuel additives.

Customs and Traffic Police now tend to carry Ford provided funnels to allow dip testing for agricultural diesel (red in UK/green in ROI) in road vehicles.

Just back from a fill up. Car deadlocked on forecourt and still able to fill up.

I'll second being able to fill up the Fiesta with the doors double-locked, because that's how I always do it.