Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus Heater/fan Not Working...

E63M6

hi guys

Having problems with the heater in the car, it only works on #4 and still makes a loud noise and not blowing much air out. what could be causing this problem?

(video of the noise the heater/fan is making)

th_WP_20140407_001_zpsb57e2863.jpg

Thanks for your time

It's behind the glovebox to the right-hand side of the fan housing. Just one screw holding it in, and a multiplug. Dead easy to change but you will need bendy arms and a short screwdriver as space is tight in there.

Five minute job, tops.

[edit] after listening to the sound in the video, I can safely say that the bearing in the fan motor has gone. This commonly causes the resistor to blow. So unfortunately you're going to need a new heater fan as well. You're looking at about £30 for a scrapyard one. It's not hard to change but you have to remove the footwell kick panel, glovebox, and part of the ducting for the air vents, then practically stand on your head in the footwell to remove the three fan retaining screws. The fan is pretty heavy and drops out of the bottom with the screws removed, so you have to be careful not to damage the plastic mounting brackets especially when there's only one screw left in.

I strongly recommend getting the screw at the back out first - it's a total sod to get so you don't want to add to the difficulty by trying to hold the fan up in the air as well.

Would a blown resistor make the noise it is making. Also at further inspection the sound is coming from the glove box where i believe the motor is also giving it a couple of kicks (not the best method) stops it from making the noise... And the fan carries on working only on #4 but going over a bump the noise is back...

Would a blown resistor make the noise it is making. Also at further inspection the sound is coming from the glove box where i believe the motor is also giving it a couple of kicks (not the best method) stops it from making the noise... And the fan carries on working only on #4 but going over a bump the noise is back...

Looks like you posted at the same time as me - see my post above.

Thanks for that mate. Just spoke to my mechanic and he also said a blown fan He's quoted me £60 all in does this price sound reasonable?

Depends how he's going to fix it. For that price he won't be putting a brand new fan in. Or are you getting the parts and it's £60 labour?

No said he's gonna get the fan from the scrappy and fit it in and the cost will be around £60. Looking on the internet they are around 30-40 pound so around £20 for labour.

cheers

Not too bad then.

Just get him to make sure the fan blades are in perfect condition - I once put one in which had a small crack in the blade (didn't even spot it til I got home). Thought it'd be fine, but put some insulating tape around the outside to be sure. Worked perfectly until I turned it up full, at which point the fan blades exploded into a hundred pieces. Went everywhere including up into the ducting and was a nightmare getting all the bits back out.

Thanks for all your help BigD,I will make sure he gets a good one and have got the car booked in for the weekend so hopefully the problem will be sorted out.

Thanks to all the contributors.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club