Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Fiesta Zetec 10 Plate - Failed Steering Column

donnat89

Hi All,

I am new to this forum and unfortunately for me it’s not through good circumstances, I purchased a Ford Fiesta Zetec 10 plate from Jennings Ford in May 2012 when it was 2 years old and had only 10,000 miles on the clock. I am just a young girl (early 20’s) and had to buy it on finance (the only debt ive ever had in my life), it was something of a luxury for me and I had to buy it on Fords finance (through Santander) for 4 years. I have never ever purchased a car through a garage before, only second hand through private dealers and have never had any major issues with them.
Lucky me….just under 2 years later the car is 10months out of warranty I had been away for 2 nights I came back and tried to drive the car and the power steering had gone off and the steering wheel light and traction control lights were on the dash board. The AA came out and couldn’t figure out what was wrong with it, I am only a petite girl weighing 8 stone and I couldn’t possibly drive the car without power steering.
My dads in motor trade and first instinct was to get a friend to put the diagnostic on it, which he did and he advised my dad it was the steering column, to which we rang the Jennings ford garage I purchased it from and he advised us that of a car that age (NOT EVEN 4 YEARS OLD!!!) that its simply not possible and to bring it in for them to check (which has cost me around £100 inc VAT) and sure enough the results were that it is the steering column. Jennings ford want £1,000 to repair it.
Can I just ask how is it acceptable to expect someone to pay £1,000 for something which is clearly a mechanical fault??? I brought this up with ford and was very patient with them – I have now been without my car for nearly 3 weeks while it has gone on and basically I have to pay it or I am paying my finance everymonth for NOTHING!!

I joined this forum to advise everyone to STAY AWAY FROM FORD FIESTA ZETEC’S 2010 REG AS THEY HAVE A CLEAR MECHANICAL FAULT WHICH FORD ARE UNWILLING TO ACCEPT IS THE MANUFACTURES RESPONSIBILITY.

It would have been an entirely different story if I had my 2year old niece and 6 year old nephew in the car and it had went off when I was driving it as I would have clearly lost control of the vehicle and crashed.

I am absolutely disgusted with ford and the way I have been treated and how SHODDY this car is!!!!! I wont stop until as many people are aware of this issue!!

Funny how this is my rights yet Ford does not care……
The Sale of Goods Act 1979 doesn't say exactly how long goods should last. The general rule is that goods should last for a reasonable time and in reasonable condition. For example, a new car should last for several years in a reasonable condition but you may need to replace some of its parts over time.
If goods don't last as long as they should, they probably weren't of satisfactory quality when you bought them. For example, if the sole on a shoe comes away after a few weeks of normal wear, this suggests that it was never of satisfactory quality. – WHO HERE THINKS A STEERING COLUMN SHOULD BREAK BEFORE THE CAR IS EVEN 4 YEARS OLD????
Thoughts and comments are welcomed………..
Thank you for your time

Normally if your out of the 3 years manufactures warranty. And the inital 3-6 months warranty the garage supply from a second hand car then everything that can go wrong is chargable to you im afraid

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 1

i would not be happy if i was in your boat

Have you spoken to ford direct ?

Maybe get hold of the ceo, email and ask if he is happy with the answers you have been given

Last resort go to the press/watchdog etc see if they are interested in dong a piece on this

These things unfortunately happen as no one can eliminate all manufacturing defects. At least unlike some makes which were so badly made were failing first MOT on emissions or rust can you believe it?

Sent from my HUAWEI Ascend P2 using Ford OC mobile app

The difficulty is proving that there was a fault with it when it left the factory.

You don't know how the car was treated before you had it, there is a chance the steering has undergone too much strain at some point.

Have you had the car serviced by Ford?

You can try and pursue under SOGA, or under section 75 of CCA as you have it on Finance. Really depends if you think it is worth the agro though :/

• Like 1

Grand for a Steering Column?

Phone and independent it's not a hard job on a Fiesta, that's stupid.

Did they say exactly what has failed on it at all? They can be repaired and parts bought for them separately.

There is a trader up North ( Called DTM ) who work on Renaults and thier prices are good going from what another Forum i'm on, If you can post more details up it'd be helpful though.

But as for them giving the usual " steering column needs replacing" is very vague of them.

• 1 year later...

My auntie has a 61 reg fiesta. Hers had a problem with the steering column HOWEVER hers got recalled for this problem so was free to fix. Maybe you could see if yours was the same batch,? Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club