Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mondeo 2.2 Tdci & 2.0 Tddi

Vanquished

First of all I want to thank the members of this forum for all the info I needed to sort out the limp fault on my 2.2 TDCi. I didn't need to post my questions, just searched and found everything I needed to know. I purchased the Innotec turbo cleaning kit. Done the job today with ease. It's now fixed!

So being a technician myself, but never worked on anything deisel, turbo or supercharger, I have had my 2.0 TDDi running with no poke for a couple of years. I just never got round to sorting it. I was told back then to slip a blanking plate into the EGR valve. Anyway, I have just done this yesterday and feel no difference whatsoever. I got some Wynns turbo cleaner earlier today and gave that a spray, again it's made no difference.

Any ideas where I could go next before I loose interest? It's only the missus's car, but it would be nice to get it running good again.

Cheers in advance

The TDDI can be made to be quicker than the 2.2 - it depends how much money/ time/ work you are prepared to do on it

The EGR valve tends to deposit a lot of carbon in the inlet manifold, this mixes with the oily residue from the breather, forming a gooy gunge, blanking the EGR (solid plate, of course) stops this continuing but does not clean up the muck previously deposited

Spray/ snake oil etc is of limited use, you really need to get the inlet manifold off and clean it properly, the intercooler probably needs cleaning too (internally)

TDDIs can have fixed vane or VNT turbos, front or rear EGRs, MAF/ no MAF etc, if you could post some pics up to see which one you have

Thanks. I don't mind removing the inlet manifold. What seals it, gaskets or seals? I will order whatever is needed and get onto it next week. What shall I use to clean it? We have a hot wash at work that runs at about 60c so should be okay on a plastic manifold, or do I clean it manualy?

The intercooler, how do I clean it internally?

The EGR is at the rear and has no MAF. I understand I have a fixed vain on this car. There is an actuator with a rod above the turbo. What does this do? I had the missus rev it yesterday whilst I was looking at it and it done nothing.

Your advice is very much appreciated.

Thanks. I don't mind removing the inlet manifold. What seals it, gaskets or seals? I will order whatever is needed and get onto it next week. What shall I use to clean it? We have a hot wash at work that runs at about 60c so should be okay on a plastic manifold, or do I clean it manualy?

The intercooler, how do I clean it internally?

The EGR is at the rear and has no MAF. I understand I have a fixed vain on this car. There is an actuator with a rod above the turbo. What does this do? I had the missus rev it yesterday whilst I was looking at it and it done nothing.

Your advice is very much appreciated.

Cleaning the inlet manifold is a messy job, i spent hours on one with brushes, de-greaser, i even put small stones (like the ones in fish tanks) and squeezey etc, i only got it partly-clean

I handed it to a valeter that used an (large industrial) steam-jetwash on it, it came back immaculate, the type of plastic used does not melt under the bonnet, so is probably safe to 110+ degrees C (at least) and high pressures

There is a lot of posts where people have changed the inlet rubbers, (they are made of some sort of synthetic rubber and moulded into the manifold) i have used mine again and again with no problems, this is probably because i don't torque them down too much (they need surprisingly little torque, due to the design) and i run a total-loss breather (so the oil/ oily residue from the breather does not "break down/ melt" the rubber)

As a precaution, you could obtain the inlet rubbers before you took the inlet manifold off (there are 8 of them, 2 per piston, as there is 2 inlet tracts per piston with the 16v head)

The intercooler gets filled with oil from the breather (it condenses in the intercooler) but not the EGR so it does not get as bad as the manifold , de-greaser should do it, it can be taken off from taking the grille off/ without removing front bumper/ bodywork (its tight, though)

the fixed vane (its vane not vain, that means something else - ) turbo has an actuator (pnumatic) a rod and an (internal) wastegate, the engine has to be under load to produce boost, once max boost is reached (its about 16psi on a stock TDDI) the wastegate should open as that is how boost is controlled

You get a lot of lag on a fixed-vane from low revs (strictly-speaking, its not lag but the boost-threshhold, but lag for simplicity)

but it is easy to increase boost (bleed valve/ boost bottle/extended pipe/ boost controller) + the fixed vane is simpler/ more reliable (no VNT mech to coke up/ sieze)

There are a few cheap/ easy things to do to get some poke out of the TDDI, like a resonator bypass, but utimately, a Bluefin/ remap or tuning box has the biggest improvement

• Like 1

Perfect! Thanks for educating me on the vane thing. Lol.

I need to give it all a good cleaning before I work on it. There's a lot of oil around the side of the engine I want to see where this is coming from too. Not use to these dirty engines. My hands are as clean as a surgeons for a technician. I'll start with the manifold and pipes to begin with and see how it goes.

Thanks again.

I found leaving it soaking in bucket of petrol breaks down lot of carbon so when u go at it wit brush just falls off

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

I found leaving it soaking in bucket of petrol breaks down lot of carbon so when u go at it wit brush just falls off

Good idea. Cheers Mick. I'm taking it off on Wednesday and taking into work. There I have access to plenty off waste petrol that I can drop the manifold into, then I'll hit wash it.

Thanks

Thats an exellent idea! i never thought about petrol as ive been running diesels for quite a while now - i bet it would work well on the intercooler too

They actually aswell recommend throwing 5er petrol in once a year on a diesel with full tank of diesel of coarse ment clean system pretty good now I have no factual info on that maybe foca can shed some light he know most bout diesel mondeos on here

I handed it to a valeter that used an (large industrial) steam-jetwash on it, it came back immaculate

And it'll be minging before you know it

And it'll be minging before you know it

I run a total-loss breather (does not go into the inlet) and the EGR is completely removed, so inlet manifold stays clean

They actually aswell recommend throwing 5er petrol in once a year on a diesel with full tank of diesel of coarse ment clean system pretty good now I have no factual info on that maybe foca can shed some light he know most bout diesel mondeos on here

They used to add petrol to deisel to stop the deisel freezing up in the winter (to make it "thinner"/ stop it "waxing"/ solidifiing)

Petrol is a solvent so it can obviously act as a cleaner (to help clean out filters/ pipes/ injectors) but you must be careful because some solvents can damage seals etc - thats why its just once a year

This goes for other solvents or detrergents (even stuff added/ designed to be added to deisel) continuous use could damage seals/ pumps etc

They have been adding other stuff to deisel (veg oil, 2-stroke etc) some recommend this

Update.

Just removed the inlet manifold. I couldn't believe the state it's in! I also found a very big split in the intake hose too, which is now on order. I will take the manifold into work tomorrow and have my apprentice clean it.

Let you know how it all goes next week when I get the new hose.

Cheers fellas for all your help.

Vini

Update.

Just removed the inlet manifold. I couldn't believe the state it's in! I also found a very big split in the intake hose too, which is now on order. I will take the manifold into work tomorrow and have my apprentice clean it.

Let you know how it all goes next week when I get the new hose.

Cheers fellas for all your help.

Vini

Once you fit the EGR blanking plate the carbon should stop building up in the manifold, , you can also fit the breather with a catchtank - fixing the split hose can make a big difference if you are losing a lot of boost you can loose a lot of power too

I've always used petrol to clean the gunk out too.

FOCA that's a good read, I didn't need the help but interesting all the same, thanks.

Might try some of these things on my Focus. I had wondered about the intercooler, and how much crap would build up in there over time. I don't think this car has been well treated in the past, so the engine's going to get a good service soon. While I'm doing that, I'll get a can of petrol and some paintbrushes and start scrubbing!

Cheers Lads :)

I fitted a new hose yesterday. Now I'm my wife's hero! Her Mondeo performs perfect.

Thanks for all your help.