Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Egr Blanked But Engine Doesn't Like It

1stghia

Just blanked my egr finally on a 1.8 tdci, pretty straight forward. However when I first turned the engine over, I got a big cloud of smoke, the big red engine warning arrow and the yellow check engine light, together with the digital readout of check eml :( Gave it a rev and switched off, restarted didnt get eml warning in digital display but the red arrow and yellow engine light are slower to go out. However the engine itself seems like it could stall, sounds like it's having a good old grumble then all is well.

is this normal? anyone had experiance similar?

cheers

Is the blanking valve fitted correctly seated well? can't say for sure but if you had carbon build up around the EGR intake it is possible some of that stuff got into the engine, may just need a good run to smooth out

Check all wiring connections about the area you were working could be a disturbed connection aswell

Hi thanks for the reply, yes I think its seated well...

post-45522-0-92578900-1397391338_thumb.j

As you can see from the pic above thats where I haave fitted the plate (not in pic - forgot) The hose/pipe leading down from there did look very coked but I can't be sure as the thing was dead solid and hard to flex just to slip the plate in without trying to peep inside, maybe I should have.

which plate did you use? was it a solid plate with no holes? if you could send us a link of where you bought it from that would be good.

I've blanked my egr off (that sounds so wrong :D ) and I didn't have any warning lights at all. The blanking plate that I used was about 5mm thick. I actually removed the egr pipe and gave it a !Removed! good clean Though it might be different on your car, mines a 2002 mk 1.5 1.8 tdci.

im unsure that the blanking is at fault... blanking it off could of made the ecu recognize another problem that has been noticed until now..... try and get a code reader on there and reply with codes......

or take the plate back out, try and reset the ecu and see if it happens again

Blanked mine yesterday and I got engine malfunction come up, removed key and started again no problem. I did clean it out first.

It's a joy to have the extra pulling power in 1st and 2nd but I'm worried about fuel consumption as it's gone down a fair bit. Guna give it a week and see what happens.

I managed to snap one of the bolts holding the 2 sections and blank together. Still seems fine. The engine management light comes on and off now and again - but it did before I got heavy handed! Sometimes I reset the DTCs, sometimes it clears itself. It has never had any effect on the actual running of the engine though.

Blanked mine yesterday and I got engine malfunction come up, removed key and started again no problem. I did clean it out first. This

It's a joy to have the extra pulling power in 1st and 2nd but I'm worried about fuel consumption as it's gone down a fair bit. Guna give it a week and see what happens.

I too blanked my EGR (1.6 2009) a good few months back and I saw a similar drop in MPG.

Within a week of fiting the solid stainless steel blank I noticed my average MPG drop by 6 MPG.

It was.all fitted correctly etc etc.

Strange eh...

I too blanked my EGR (1.6 2009) a good few months back and I saw a similar drop in MPG.

Within a week of fiting the solid stainless steel blank I noticed my average MPG drop by 6 MPG.

It was.all fitted correctly etc etc.

Strange eh...

If it goes down loads i'll proberly take mine out as i wana squeeze every mile of the diesel I put in <_<

Strangely this morning it started perfect no lights or warnings :blink:

As a bit of madness that just entered my noggin, lol do you think the mpg is going down for you guys because you are not recycling the exhaust fumes through the egr?? ie: 10 units go through the engine 8 get recirced so in essence you have 18 units going through, but with the blank you are losing the 8 extra units.

Think thats the monty python way of explaining it, but as I said it did appear in my head in a moment of utter madness :lol:

I was thinking something like that too, maybe becuasue no exhaust gas, there is more space and therfore more diesel being injected in. but im no mechanic :P

What EGR blank kit do you guys recommend? - link please :)

Apart from lower mpg, does it make any other difference?

What about emissions levels when passing MOT?

Must admit I'm underwhelmed by the mpg already, my knackered old (214k) 2.0 Astra DTi managed 520-550 miles every brimmed tank. The Focus' fuel light came on at 460 & so I refuelled at 475.

Didn't fill up this time though, so don't know how many litres it took to refill. I guess this is a 52 litre tank?

What EGR blank kit do you guys recommend? - link please :)

Apart from lower mpg, does it make any other difference?

What about emissions levels when passing MOT?

Must admit I'm underwhelmed by the mpg already, my knackered old (214k) 2.0 Astra DTi managed 520-550 miles every brimmed tank. The Focus' fuel light came on at 460 & so I refuelled at 475.

Didn't fill up this time though, so don't know how many litres it took to refill. I guess this is a 52 litre tank?

I think most have just put a solid plate in link is http://www.ebay.co.u...06889703&_rdc=1.

In 1st and 2nd you get power straight away, very noticeable.

as far as MOT goes i think it is just a smoke test and with the blank plate on there is no smoke.

I currently get just over 50MPG before blank so was getting just over 400 miles to £50 since the plate was added on saturday its drooped to 49.1MPG and i have not been booting it or anything so a little disapointed.

40-45 mpg around town before

most on a run 69.2 mpg <- haven't seen that in a long time lol

no idea after yet, will wait until I have finished this tank of ultimate and gone back to normal diesel.

Is it running smooth now? i think something may have just gotten into the engine.

Yes it does appear to be smoother, especially around the lower rev range, and quieter only slightly though it is a diesel lol. Also keep hearing a quiet dull , i suppose knock would be the best way to describe it, like when you have a chipping stuck in your tyre and you have the window open faster you go the faster the tick the slower etc etc however this knock I can't pinpoint and can only be heard in motion, think its def front half central part of the car. But I don't believe this is related in any way to the egr blank.

• Like 1

after a good blast today..

1st thing this morning big cloud of smoke but settled after that presuming choke?

Only other thing to report is that engine seems to take a tad longer to get up to heat than without the blank, temp usually sits at about 5to12 position and pretty much stays there, now when it gets there it does seem to stop and when I increase power it drops a touch then slowley back up, it might just be me but this seems more efficiant cooling, or I could just be talking !Removed! :unsure: