Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1Lt Ecoboost 125Bhp Or 1.6 125Bhp Engine

Dowdeswelln

I am in the process of looking at trading in my 06 Focus Titanium for a year old focus, I'm tempted by the 1 ltr 120 bhp Eco boost engine, however i have also been thinking of staying with the trusty 1.6 engine.

I have test driven both engine types and i am impressed with both, has anyone got any helpful advice on the pros and cons (if any) on the two types of engines currently available.

Many Thanks

Neil D

This is a post of mine from a few weeks ago in this forum. Searching this and other forums some owners are getting a better mpg than myself.

I bought this car, Focus Titanium 125 Mk3, 1L ecoboost expecting good mpg but the best that can be achieved is about 35.

There's about 10k on the clock and a lot of owners say it gets better with time, not mine sadly. Wouldn't mind if I drove the car as I like but drive it with a light right foot to try to improve the mpg. Had an 1.6 Astra, drove like bat out of hell and still got 35mpg, would improve if right foot was a bit lighter. Have spoken to dealer a couple of time who said 35 was pretty average and probably might not be bettered. With the type of driving I do "Ford intimate I should get 55mpg" Apart from this the car is cracking to drive with lots of goodies including sat nav park and hill assist, sync works well. Car is very comfortable for 4 adults and the boot is ample in size. This car would only come with a recommendation so long as mpg was not a priority.

A roads and motorway. On a long journey of 300 miles I did manage 40, this was staying within speed limits as well.

The focus is well documented as overly optomistic on the mpg ide go 1.6 simply as its a proven engine the 1.0 longevity has been a debate for a while it has to work hard due to its size for that reason ide take the 1.6 more power lower revving and will sit happier on the motorway with those mpgs youde be better off with an older car my 1.6 ti vct 115bhp gets better mpg than that

Theres plenty of long term tests and reviews online to help you decide just dont expect the qouted mpg as one test said highly optomistic to say the least

Thanks for all the feedback, good points to consider.

I'd go for the 1L mate, more fun to drive, no tax, mpg good. I'm on my second!

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

I currently have the 1.6, but my dad rented an Ecoboost model a couple of weeks back and let me have a blast of it. I thought it sounded like a bag of spanners, completely put me off buying one. I'd expect if they're going to put a noisier engine in then they'd put extra sound insulation in to make it as quiet and refined as the previous engine, or else what's the point? A new car that's less refined than its predecessor? In addition to that I get 43mpg from my 1.6, whereas people seem to be struggling to get decent figures from the Ecoboost.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I owned a 1.6 125 mk3 focus titanium for over 15 months and it was a great car size, comfort , driving fun the engine is good cursing no problem at one point I was getting over 50mpg on a good run with 10K on the clock. But if you wanted to over take you had to be on it and really use the rev band if you were in the wrong gear below 2k the engine was dead. But don't get me wrong it is not slouch bit I drove a 1.0 ecoboost fiesta and it's the best fun ever such a punchy car. Hope it helped

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

I'm getting 45mpg from my ecoboost with 4000 miles on it, I love it and it doesn't sound like a bag of spanners let me tell you, 45 mpg is easy I could perhaps get low 50's if I drove it well

My mistake sorry I Mis-read I'm on about the fiesta not the focus lol. focus I haven't driven so I can't comment