Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Insurance

babyface

I have a mk6.5 fiesta zetec 1.25 which I have lowered on pro sport coil overs 60mm all round, I have also put a standard air filter on the car. I didn't declare this with my insurance (I know I'm a !Removed!) and have had an accident in the car, my insurance have turned round and said if I can prove I haven't had the mods for long they may be able to insure me for the accident. Where do I stand with this? Thanks.

I would think you're be very lucky if they insure you at all now.

Could you not act dumb and say the car has not changed since you brought it and did not know these mods had been done?

The only way you could prove you have only had these done recent is by either sales invoice or fitting invoice.

Sent from my C5303 using Ford OC mobile app

The only thing I could think of as well is like Carlos said, act dumb and just say you bought the car like that and thought it was normal and didn't no.

Other than that not much else you could do :?

Hope you get it sorted.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

I played dumb and said I didn't know I'd have to declare lowering it as I was told it's only engine mods I had to declare. Sent them an email showing I bought the coil overs mid Feb so hadn't had them on long so hopefully they'll insure me for the accident then I'll ring up and cancel to avoid having to say I've had insurance cancelled because where I'm under 25 they want insure me for mods

Sent from my C6903 using Ford OC mobile app

Are you paying monthly? If so, you can't cancel.

Sent from my KFTT using Ford OC mobile app

You can if your willing to pay the rest of the premium.

• Like 1

I paid in full for the year so just hoping they'll cover the claim then I can cancel it myself

You might be lucky.

You will need to make sure you don't cancel until the claim is settled.

Not sure but that may mean waiting until the repairers have been paid.

Probably not the best idea to play dumb that you didn't know you had to declare, they would of read a script asking if it was imported or modified in any way (including aftermarket stereo).

Sent from my HUAWEI Ascend P2 using Ford OC mobile app

You can't make a claim then cancel. No policy allows that. Can't say they were fitted and didn't know as that opportunity has passed.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Ford OC mobile app

Sorry Matt that's not true. ( I have been an insurance broker for 35 years. ) You can cancel the policy any time you like regardless of if a claim has been made or not but if the claim is valid then they won't give any refund and no-claim bonus will be affected of course.

However, if the insurers refuse indemnity due to the mods then they will void the policy and may agree a refund the premium or part of it as long as they have not had to pay anything out for reports etc.

If babyface has had an accident where he is responsible then his insurers will most likely have to settle the third party claim even if indemnity is refused and they will then try and recover the money off him as the policy is void.

You can if your willing to pay the rest of the premium.

Sorry folks, I meant you can't cancel the policy until it's paid in full. If you pay monthly and make a claim 6 months in, you have to pay the remaining 6 months. You CAN cancel the insurance as the broker has so kindly explained.

Sent from my KFTT using Ford OC mobile app

Interesting. My policy specifically says I cannot cancel the policy once a claim has been made, I'm currently going through a claim at the moment and noticed it a week ago. It's a Zurich policy not some pokey 3rd party mark up job.

Matt I would consider that unfair. Take this example:

You have an accident and they say you can't cancel but you either sell the car or want to insure it elsewhere. You car is still on the database through Zurich so what happens when you or the new owner wants to insure it?

Also Zurich will be showing as the cars insurers so if the new owner decides to drive without insurance they will go through the cameras as if they are insured by you.

I must admit in all the years I have been in the job I have never come across a policy with that clause and we are Zurich agents too. If you want to send me a scan of it I will happily look at it for you.

• Like 1

True, the policy info is at work, I'll scan it on Tuesday and post it up. I didn't take any notice of it tbf thought it was the norm, first time I've made a claim too but makes sense with what you're saying. Not sure how enforceable it would be though, like said if you don't have the car anymore, get banned etc.

I always thought you couldn't cancel whilst a claim was ongoing, if the claim was resolved then you could.

I always thought you couldn't cancel whilst a claim was ongoing, if the claim was resolved then you could.

+1 to the above.

No you can cancel straight after the claim because you were covered at the time of the claim and that's all that matters. Obviously as said the insurer may not refund the premium of course but they are not bothered if the policy carries on or not. As per the above there seems to be a Zurich policy which carries a clause regarding cancellation but I have never seen one before and would like to see the wording for myself as I feel it cannot be enforced.

If you have paid a premium and the insurer indemnifies you then they have carried out their duty. In fact there was a time when an insurer insisted a policy was cancelled if they had paid out on a total loss as the policy had performed its duty for that specific vehicle which was now written off but these days they are more inclined to allow you to change it over to a new car and continue to next renewal as normal.

I have a mk6.5 fiesta zetec 1.25 which I have lowered on pro sport coil overs 60mm all round, I have also put a standard air filter on the car. I didn't declare this with my insurance (I know I'm a !Removed!) and have had an accident in the car, my insurance have turned round and said if I can prove I haven't had the mods for long they may be able to insure me for the accident. Where do I stand with this? Thanks.

Got an update?

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Just got off the phone with privilege, they have decided to void the insurance as I couldn't prove when I got the air filter (even though it was a £20 one from Halfords but their engineer insisted it was worth £130) even though I could prove when I purchased the coil overs. So yeah, lesson learnt the hard way I guess

OUCH :blink: This will probably now affect future insurance quotes as well. The old question ''have you ever had insurance cancelled or refused'' Obviously your air filter wouldn't have had any impact on the accident, but its just a way for them to wriggle out of paying up. Just the way these places operate.

What's the extent of the damage any way?

New bumper, new wings, new bonnet, new headlight unit, pretty much a whole new front end

New bumper, new wings, new bonnet, new headlight unit, pretty much a whole new front end

Are they still covering the other driver?

You can cancel it before they do.

OH has an accident and because we didn't swerve into a ditch to avoid the lunatic trying to hit us they said he didn't try to safeguard the car therefore they're cancelling the insurance (claim settled at that) so he called the day before they were due to cancel it and cancelled the policy himself so now he doesn't have to say he's had insurance cancelled but does have to say he's had an accident. Does that make sense?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 2