Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Mondeo Tdi 2005

Brian a

Help my car keeps shudders and blows out smoke every now and then then ok for a bit when put my foot down it goes but no light come on it keeps doing it

Assuming it's been serviced recently (oil/filter, air filter, fuel filter etc)...

First port of call should be the EGR valve. It's likely clogged up with carbon, and you can take it off yourself and clean it out for [almost] free. You'll need some carb cleaner and I strongly recommend a big box of nitrile gloves and lots of newspaper as it's a messy job.

You should do that periodically anyway. Diesel engines are ultra-dirty.

What concerns me (or it would, if it were my car) is the loss of power/gray smoke. The bad news is that it sounds like you have least one poorly injector, and really, that being the case then your only option is to replace it/them. Now, they're either expensive, or REALLY expensive, depending on whether you have a TDDI or a TDCI. The TDCI injectors are around £200 each, just for the injector. I gather that the TDDI ones are a bit cheaper.

You can verify this with a leak-off test, which I'm just in the process of gathering bits to do one myself as I've got a bad injector on my TDCi.

Just to add -

If your car is a 2005 (as stated in your profile) it is not a tdi, or a TDDI, but a TDCI

No point in cleaning out just the EGR valve on its own, but the whole inlet manifold, as this gets choked up with carbon/ gunge, the EGR housing is only a small part of the inlet

Mk3 Mondeos suffer from EGR valve problems - i recommend you fit a solid EGR blanking plate this "fixes" leaking EGR valves/ EGR problems and prevents further contamination to the inlet/ manifold etc - if you have a EURO4 engine, the EML may come on, a code reader can seset this

Most likely, you have a split turbo boost pipe (check between the EGR/ Intercooler, and elsewhere) this is a realatively inexpensive fix

I cleaned out the erg and then I sore a split in the torbo pipe all fixed thak you all for the help saved my life and money lol

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club