Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Front End Knocking Noise

sjcrolm

Morning all, im in need of a littke help.

My 2007 2.0l tdci has developed a rather annoying rattle/knocking.

It seems to be coming frim the front nearside. It seems to happen at odd times, smooth road no noise, slight uneven piece of road, clonk. Pot hole, sometimes gets a noise. So I have tried to narrow it down. Drop link bar replaced, tie rod and end replaced, lower suspension arm with ball joints replaced, strut top bearing replaced!! Seem to be running out of things to replace, anyone else had similar noises? Or shed any light. Any ideas greatfully recieved.

It definitely sounds as if its coming from the spring area, but checked it when I put the bearing on top of the strut, as for the cv joint, how would this be tested???

dunno if the smax has them,but what about drop links??

Go to an open space like a B&Q car park after hours, and drive very slowly in figure 8's, going full lock to full lock. Listen for any knocking sounds as you approach full lock, and check that the steering is smooth throughout the whole steering range.

Thanks for help, drop link bars done. Just been out and had another look.

If I get hold of the strut and shake it the rattle seems to come from the spring. I csn syop the rattle by holding it, im wondering if when I replaced the strut bearing, I havent tightened the nut on top of strut enough, it has a really stupid design, and is hard to tighten. I shall try again!! The spring itself was ok, I checked when it was off.

• 2 years later...

Hi. Did you ever fix this issue? I'm having similar problems and practically did the same repairs except for the CV joints. But I want to make sure that's the culprit as this is turning into a money pit, yet the rattles remain.

• 1 year later...

This exact issue has plagued me for 5 years and is getting worse. I've had 3 garages look and I've also spent loads of money on replacement ball joints and tightening things up.

It's the low level rough road surface that is the worse culpit for the knocking clanging, speed bumps etc are no issue.

Does anyone have any idea? What about the shocks?

• 6 months later...

I have the same knock, I have been told gearbox mounts are common. I'm going to try a new mount at some point 

I had the same symptoms on a car I owned years ago. It was the top mount on the shock. The wear had left some play in it. Only clonked on surfaces that were a little uneven.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi, did anyone narrow this problem down, as we have got the same issue and have replaced pretty much the whole suspension to no avail. Cheers

Mine turned out to be a loose heat shield, garage removed it with no ill after-effects

• 1 month later...

I just brought my 2007 S-Max. Very nice car and very happy with it.

I also have a clunking as OP said. I've changed the swing arm and roll bar links no joy 😞

Then I hit the subframe and could hear noise, so I took off the wheel arch inner cover, and I can see the subframe bushing has about .5cm space above it.

I jack up the subframe and you can clearly see the subframe lift along with the bushing.

Can I replace the bushing? I only see rear subframe bushing for sale, and people saying about replacing the whole subframe.?

For me it was the Subframe bushing. Itook the bolt out. Added a few metal washers under the metal hat piece, and then screwed back on. Now all is good in the world  🙂

• 3 years later...

I have a similar knocking rattle type sound. It's at lowish speeds when you go over slightly uneven ground.

My mechanic told me it may be the steering rack. I've been under the car and yes when you knock the steering rack there is some clunking going on.

Just wondered if anyone else had similar issue with the steering rack?

• 1 year later...
On 7/3/2019 at 10:13 PM, Owenh said:

For me it was the Subframe bushing. Itook the bolt out. Added a few metal washers under the metal hat piece, and then screwed back on. Now all is good in the world  🙂

Sorry to bump an old thread but this is the direction im heading in now.. did you put the washers between the subframe bushing and the body of the car?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club