Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Insurance

turbohater

An old guy in a big Jag has just run into my 2,1/2month old Fiesta that was parked up in a car park.The rear quarter panel by the wheel arch is slightly dented and paint damage.Should i let a Ford paint shop do the repair or use an independant body shop.Also should i get the insurance involved as he has offered to pay for the repair.Thanks in advance

If possible sort it out between you. As soon as you tell your insurers it will go on the national database and you will have to declare it for the next 3 to 5 years regardless of outcome.

Get 2 estimates from reputable garages for the repair and make sure they are for the full cost including VAT and show him them and ask for cash.

If he plays silly buggers then you will have to go through your insurance and maybe you have legal protection cover that will be able to take it up for you.

Also bear in mind the time your car will be off the road. Will you need alternative transport? Will the repairers give you a courtesy car or will you have to hire one?

Normally the insurance asks you to tell them.

The idea being that if some claim against you arises in the future, the insurance knows about it. You only need to declare actual claims for the next 5 years, although I don't know if an insurer would hold a recorded "accident" against you on the insurers database, premium wise that is.

I personally would have all work done by a Ford repair centre/bodyshop. I always make sure my insurer will let me choose to go with Ford, even if I have to pay more for it. That is unless you know a really good independant that you trust :)

Insurers do ask you to tell them yes but we all know that not every little incident is reported. It depends on the circumstances. If there is no injury, small damage and both parties agree a quick cash settlement then it need not go any further.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club