Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MPG

blodger59

Hi All

just rescently bought a new fiesta 1.6 tdci titanium, i am impressed with the spec and the car drives really well, the only downside is i get less than 400 miles to a tank of fuel or about 42mpg, i have now done nearly 6000m and i expected more like 50-55mpg.

i know it's all down to driving style , my last two cars were a mondeo 2.0l 130 tdci which achieved 55mpg and a 2.2l mondeo tdci st which achieved 46 mpg , both better than i am geting now.

one other thing yhe blindside door mirror is on the passenger side and not on the driver side!.

apart from that i think the car is great :)

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• blodger59

• irononreverse

• paulworthing

• Sara Fiesta

Hi All

just rescently bought a new fiesta 1.6 tdci titanium, i am impressed with the spec and the car drives really well, the only downside is i get less than 400 miles to a tank of fuel or about 42mpg, i have now done nearly 6000m and i expected more like 50-55mpg.

i know it's all down to driving style , my last two cars were a mondeo 2.0l 130 tdci which achieved 55mpg and a 2.2l mondeo tdci st which achieved 46 mpg , both better than i am geting now.

one other thing yhe blindside door mirror is on the passenger side and not on the driver side!.

Isnt the blindside mirror always on that side?

hi

this is the first time i have experienced the blindside mirror to be on the passenger side

hi

the blind spot mirror should be on driverside so it can be used as an aid for overtaking

hi

the blind spot mirror should be on driverside so it can be used as an aid for overtaking

There was a topic about this ages ago and ended up with someone contacting ford about the issue. They said that the mirror is where it is to be within european law or something.

Hi blodger59,

I have a 2007 1.6TDCI 90bhp done 18000 miles i'm getting 52-55 mpg if i drive carefully.

There was a topic about this ages ago and ended up with someone contacting ford about the issue. They said that the mirror is where it is to be within european law or something.

It would be nice to have them on both sides really, some more expesnive cars are like that :( As for the MPG, best i've got out of my 1.4 petrol was 48 MPG on the motorway. Round town i get between 34 and 36 MPG depending how i am with the right hand pedal ;)

I also found this strange on my mk7.Why not order a mirror for a left hand drive car,problem solved.

Hi All

You must have a heavy right foot then as I get that out of mine!!

Either that or there's something wrong with it......................... :unsure:

Modern engine oils eg the 5w30 Mobil 1 you are likely to be running, slow down the bedding-in of piston-rings, etc --- main-bearings/ big-end bearings/gearbox layshaft noises/whining in 1st and 2nd gears/baulking.

The old running-in period still needs the use of some revs after the first 1500 miles, to loosen things off.

I now have 2500 miles on my Fiesta Mk 6.5 1.25L, and I run without the heater valved open, and no air-con. Once out in the country, and the engine warmed up, I give the engine its head up to 4000 RPM in 3rd and 4th gear, then let it cruise with steady throttle, and avoid braking by looking ahead for approaching speed-limit areas and slow traffic that will need overtaking. I will even use 5th gear in towns and villages wherever possible.

Keeping an eye on the MPG computer helps.

Even the last 500 miles of this treatment has given an audible improvement in torque arriving at lower revs.

Although your engine is cast aluminium, the bores are coated with a hard alloy, just as the zetec engines have, and Toyota Aygo/Yaris petrol & diesel engines; and my D-4D Yaris was still tight at 16000 miles, until hot.

Modern engine oils eg the 5w30 Mobil 1 you are likely to be running, slow down the bedding-in of piston-rings, etc --- main-bearings/ big-end bearings/gearbox layshaft noises/whining in 1st and 2nd gears/baulking.

The old running-in period still needs the use of some revs after the first 1500 miles, to loosen things off.

I now have 2500 miles on my Fiesta Mk 6.5 1.25L, and I run without the heater valved open, and no air-con.

Exactly what he said! Red line for a good time! Should do this on pretty much every engine to give it a nice breaking in period. As for the mirrors, yes it should be on the drivers side, but alas the Europeans in their infinite stupidity think that everyone in the world drives on the same side of the road as them. My sister works for Evans Halshaw so I'll get her to ask around and see if there is any way to sort this out or if the mechanics know of any aftermarket products that would sort it out.

Our 1.6tdci 2009 model has done approx 1500 miles. We are averaging approx 53mpg at the moment. WHich is pretty much what I am expecting for an engine with so few miles on. We expect to get over 60 mpg when the engine is fully run in in approx 8000 miles.

With all of our Diesel cars we have always matched or almost matched the govt combined figures for mpg and we always get a few more mpg than that on a decent run.

Even our C4 Picasso with a 138bhp 2.0hdi engine is now averaging 47 mpg ( govt combined is 46.3mpg) on a normal daily commute and it has done 12300 miles.

When it was new we were getting approx 41 mpg for the same journeys.

I found changing gears at revs just over 2000 rpm helps fuel economy also motorway driving at 60-65 mph helps, I get 410-430 miles to a tank of diesel when the low fuel warning light comes on. I also found using different fuels helps I currently use standard Shell which I found gives me better mpg than the supermarket fuels, I’ve heard that BP is very good but I’ve not got a nearby garage.

I will admit that for a small car I too was expecting the 60s mpg, I was loaned the works 2007 focus 1.6 TDCI estate for a few days and I was getting 60+ mpg which is fantastic for a car of that size, it has done 30000 miles and is not looked after so I’m hoping as mine is only just 18000 miles maybe it will get better with more miles on the clock. :unsure:

You must have a heavy right foot then as I get that out of mine!!

Either that or there's something wrong with it......................... :unsure:

hi

i do drive the car quite hard sometimes, but a lot of my driving envolves motorways and i have been keeping the speed to legal limits but still return 42-44mpg.

i have taken the car back to fords today so they can check on it

I have a 1.25 zetec and can get 41 mpg out of it, i would expect more than that on your diesel.

Let us know what Ford say :)

I now have 2500 miles on my Fiesta Mk 6.5 1.25L, and I run without the heater valved open, and no air-con. Once out in the country, and the engine warmed up, I give the engine its head up to 4000 RPM in 3rd and 4th gear, then let it cruise with steady throttle, and avoid braking by looking ahead for approaching speed-limit areas and slow traffic that will need overtaking. I will even use 5th gear in towns and villages wherever possible.

Keeping an eye on the MPG computer helps.

Even the last 500 miles of this treatment has given an audible improvement in torque arriving at lower revs.

Although your engine is cast aluminium, the bores are coated with a hard alloy, just as the zetec engines have, and Toyota Aygo/Yaris petrol & diesel engines; and my D-4D Yaris was still tight at 16000 miles, until hot.

Hi Donframac

thanks for that info, my car has now done 6000m most of which is mototway so the engine is always running hot, other than that i am impressed with the car

steve

hi blodger59,

I had mine checked by ford which involved the attaching a device to the car ecu and seeing if it reported any errors mine was all clear, ford said that they can't do anything about the mpg and it should get better in time. :unsure:

hi blodger59,

I had mine checked by ford which involved the attaching a device to the car ecu and seeing if it reported any errors mine was all clear, ford said that they can't do anything about the mpg and it should get better in time. :unsure:

Hi Sera Fiesta

my car is at fords today they said they are recalibrating the fuel system to see if it improves.

that's ford speak for havn't got a clue.

steve

Hi Sera Fiesta

my car is at fords today they said they are recalibrating the fuel system to see if it improves.

that's ford speak for havn't got a clue.

steve

Hi Steve,

LOL tell me about it! :lol:

Sara

Hi Steve,

LOL tell me about it! :lol:

Sara

Hi

got the car back from ford, they have updated the software to the ecu and recalebrated the fuel system,

the trip computor is now showing an average of 49 mpg compared to 42mpg earlier.

fingers crossed they have sorted out the problem :D

Hi

got the car back from ford, they have updated the software to the ecu and recalebrated the fuel system,

the trip computor is now showing an average of 49 mpg compared to 42mpg earlier.

fingers crossed they have sorted out the problem :D

That's great news let me know how you get on with the mpg, mines still under manufactures warranty and I’ll be taking it back to a different ford garage to see if there is a upgrade for my ecu . :unsure:

That's great news let me know how you get on with the mpg, mines still under manufactures warranty and I’ll be taking it back to a different ford garage to see if there is a upgrade for my ecu . :unsure:

Hi all

Have been driving all weekend, keeping to legal speed limits(difficult ) and the trip computor was showing 55-60 mpg.

looks like the engine managment software upgrade worked yipeeee!

steve

Hi all

Have been driving all weekend, keeping to legal speed limits(difficult ) and the trip computor was showing 55-60 mpg.

looks like the engine managment software upgrade worked yipeeee!

steve

WOW!!!

From 42 mpg to 60mpg!!

18 extra miles to every gallon with a software update!! thats amazing!

Does it still feel the same driving it?

WOW!!!

From 42 mpg to 60mpg!!

18 extra miles to every gallon with a software update!! thats amazing!

Does it still feel the same driving it?

Hi

it could be my imaganation but the car feels more responsive,my wife uses the car daily for work and used to get about 370 miles between filling up, i will report back when we fill up again and give a true milage figure

Ive done nearly 3000 miles now and im still at 37 mpg, zetec 1.25 is said to get 49mpg! Not too happy :(

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club