Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lifetime Of A Turbo?

matt1981

Had my Ecoboost since Sat, loving it. Haven't pushed it hard yet apart from a handful of gear changes, I love it when the turbo kicks in and pushes you into the seat (you can tell my last car for 8 years was a 61bhp!).

Being my first turbo charged engine I was wondering what the lifespan is of an average turbo? Is it a costly fix if/when it does pack up? I was hoping to keep this car 8 years give or take like my previous car, to get my money's worth out of it.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Ford OC mobile app

I wouldn't worry for the the first 3 years Matt, it's under warrenty. I should imagine a new one should be in the region of £1200 fitted at todays prices, more for bigger ones. Just let the engine idle for a minute or two after a run to enable the oil flowing through the turbo to cool, it will prolong it's life. It will start to whistle when it's on it's way out.

Will do, thanks Roger. All of us new focus/fiesta owners are like Guinea pigs with this new engine really

It's also important to make sure the engine has clean oil. For turbo engines I recommend a 6 monthly oil and filter change but yearly at least. This keeps the small oil holes clear. Dirty oil blocks them and result in early turbo failure. With proper care a turbo can last well over 100,000 miles although it depends on their state of tune as to how long they are designed to last.

Will do, thanks Roger. All of us new focus/fiesta owners are like Guinea pigs with this new engine really

Not really, before the engine design was released to the public it was run for 100,000s of miles in different conditions, real and simulated

As others have said, frequent oil/ filter changes (with the right/ quality oil/ filter) will help protect the engine/ turbo

sensibly running the engine in/ always warming the engine up before "booting" it helps lonngevity but, "pottering about" and labouring the engine is bad too, and a good "italion tune up" now and again is a good thing

After a hard run, the oil is hot and it stays hot for a long time, letting the engine idle for a few minites (without revving the engine) is to allow the turbo to stop spinning, as well as to allow the oil to cool a little, it is when engine is switched off if the turbo is still hot and spinning that problems can occur, as this turns off the oil feed to the turbo bearing as well - some cars were fitted with "turbo timers" that keep the engine running a few minites after the ignition key is removed (dont think they are road leagal, though) another solution is an electric oil pump (that continues to run after the engine is switched off)

Its not so much a problem with modern turbos as it was with older ones

• Like 1

Interesting stuff, thanks all

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club