Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus St3

MattDRX

Afternoon All,

Humble Fiesta ST owner here,

Wife is looking at Focus ST's, we need something bigger for her to cart my baby boy around in, currently she has a Mini GP which is one of the most unpractical cars for families due to only having 2 seats and being rock solid on the ride ( I hate it as well, be glad to see it go )

Who on here owns one? just wondering what is the realistic MPG on them, does it achieve 30 at all? What tyre change intervals are you looking at? anyone had any major problems with them.

She has found one she likes and wants to view on the weekend, just after some proper feedback please, mini review of ownership so far?

Thanks.,

if youre looking for family practicality then i wouldnt go for an st for many reasons 1 being high road tax 2 being mid 20s mpg 3 being its a pain in the rear to get a kid in the car seat and gets really annoying 4 the rides hard not sure what youre looking for but for practicality the standard focus is better for what you need or many other brands such as kia ceed hyundai toyota nissan take youre pick really all will be cheaper to buy cheaper to run and more practical than an st and some makes have better warranties so years of no worrying even some kias can be bought with still 4 years manufacturers warranty

having kids i know how difficult it gets shopping prams etc etc and ive put a few links below which i would consider money gets tight so mid 20s mpg isnt feasible neither are the running costs when you have kids ide love one but no way with young ones mate

Month six running a Ford Focus ST: Mark decides the Focus ST just isn't for him

People who follow this monthly report keep asking me, ‘so, do you

still hate it?’ The answer is yes – but that doesn’t mean I don’t

appreciate the Focus ST’s many strengths. Mostly that means its raw

speed. With 247bhp on tap, the acceleration can be brutal, startling

even, like a firework going off close by. It’s fast enough in third and

fourth to be a ruthless overtaking car, attracting plenty of honks and

flashed lights as you dispatch three or four slower cars in one lunge.

Problem is, I can’t afford to drive it like that. The CAR team has

been gently ribbing me over my lead foot driving habits recently, and my

often dismal mpg figures. I’ve been struggling to keep the Focus in the

26mpg bracket, and this month – indulging in the Ford’s power too much –

that’s dropped to 25.

At that rate, a tank of fuel is gone in 300 miles and it costs £70 to

refill. Which makes me slow down, and tickle the throttle with my big

toe, short-shifting up to sixth... which makes me wonder, ‘What’s the

point of that 247bhp?’ Which, in turn makes me think, ‘Hmm, on

reflection, I do still hate this car.’

http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/reviews/ford/focus/st-estate/review

http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/reviews/recommended/best-family-cars

Get the zetec s focus 180 then remap maybe, you'll get better mpg and will still be fun

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC mobile app

No idea why you'd need an st to ferry kids around,it's a drivers car. Or a weekend car,surely a diesel focus is gonna be the best bet,or in many cases a bus pass.

traffics a nightmare in the morning because of school runs,when I'm prime minister driving your kids to school will be illegal :)

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

I've 2 toddlers and a new born baby. I wouldn't even think of getting an ST.

I've always wanted a Focus. And before my daughter cane along I had a Zetec Fiesta 05 plate. I couldn't fit a new born in and 2 toddlers. So I went for a Focus Titanium. It's the best thing ever. Got all the comfort and gadgets I could ever need and I can get 61mpg out of a full tank costing me £66 Win Win.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

Afternoon All,

Wife is looking at Focus ST's, we need something bigger for her to cart my baby boy around in, currently she has a Mini GP which is one of the most unpractical cars for families due to only having 2 seats and being rock solid on the ride ( I hate it as well, be glad to see it go )

Who on here owns one? just wondering what is the realistic MPG on them, does it achieve 30 at all? What tyre change intervals are you looking at? anyone had any major problems with them.

She has found one she likes and wants to view on the weekend, just after some proper feedback please, mini review of ownership so far?

Thanks.,

Are you looking at the MK2 or MK3?

I had a MK2.5 2008 model for just over 2 years. It was a lovely car to drive but I wouldn't bother if you are concerned about fuel. 30 is achievable but only on a steady motorway run. Best I ever had was 31.9 on a 4 hour round trip. Typical day to day driving I would see between 22 and 24, less if you have a heavy right foot. Tyres it depends how you drive it although fronts obviously wear out significantly faster than rears. I think they say 10-12K miles on fronts roughly and more on the rears.

With regards to common faults, check out the buying guide I have written if it's a MK2 or 2.5 you're looking at:

http://www.fordowner...2-buyers-guide/

Do you have a link the one you are looking at out of interest?

Afternoon All,

Thanks.,

People don't buy sports cars because they are practical and/or economical

people buy sports car/ new cars/ executive cars as status symbols/ to massage their ego most people driving on the roads could not really use the performance potential of an ST (braking, handling, as well as speed) even if it was legal for them to do so

Most cars like that are too fast for the road, and although the performance is never actually used and the owner would really be far better off with a smaller engined/ more economical alternative, its up to the individual to chose - even with knowing the expensive insurance/ low mpg and expensive running costs the motorist may chose to buy the car - even if its just to own it for a while/ to have owned it - when they really need a small 5-door runaround or (eventually) a people carrier

Lots of people buy stupid or impractical cars - like a big 4x4 (like a range rover) and they live in a city, don't tow anything and never go off road - i hate these cars myself (too heavy, too slow, inneficient, un-aerodynamic, dont handle, rubbish MPG) and don't approve of them when they are not used like they should be - but its the motorists choice and i respect that

The ST has the same Shell / interior space etc as the equivelant bog-standardt entry-level model - so (for example) the lowest powered diesel in the range does not have any extra interior space

I suppose i overtake a lot of STIs, EVOs RSs and STs that are being driven very slowly - possibly to get the MPG up into the mid 20s or because there are hardly any points left on their licence :lol:

Are you looking at the MK2 or MK3?

I had a MK2.5 2008 model for just over 2 years. It was a lovely car to drive but I wouldn't bother if you are concerned about fuel. 30 is achievable but only on a steady motorway run. Best I ever had was 31.9 on a 4 hour round trip. Typical day to day driving I would see between 22 and 24, less if you have a heavy right foot. Tyres it depends how you drive it although fronts obviously wear out significantly faster than rears. I think they say 10-12K miles on fronts roughly and more on the rears.

With regards to common faults, check out the buying guide I have written if it's a MK2 or 2.5 you're looking at:

http://www.fordowner...2-buyers-guide/

Do you have a link the one you are looking at out of interest?

It's the new one we looked at today, 2.0 ecoboost, she'd. Never have the 2.5 version. She really liked the car they go really well, she made an offer on a 4 door in blue, ST3 fully speecd, but we will wait and see I guess. No one there would take the money there and then have to wait until Monday. I quite liked it personally bit too big and chunky for me to live with though. Did 31mpg on the test run.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Ford OC mobile app

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club