Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Attempt To Fit Rear View Camera Went Up In Smoke

TheRookie

My missus was nagging me for a rear view camera in our Focus for quite a while so I gave up.

I bought mirror monitor http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007ACXWTC and wireless camera kit http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231095927719

Both devices arrived promptly so I decided to test it in my lab prior to car fitting.

The camera unit consists of three parts - the camera itself, the LED light and radio transmitter.

The receiver part is just that - the radio receiver.

Since I needed 4 independently controlled power sources (I wanted to know how much power do individual parts consume) I shamelessly stole dual-output bench power supply from my colleague and set it in addition to my own one.

The setup:

1. Red and black cables on camera module - these cables only power LED light and do nothing at all for the camera. The cables shall be connected to numberplate light connector. Obviously black is ground and red is VCC (aka 12V aka BATT).

2. Red and black cables on transmitter module - this is to power transmitter AND camera. The camera does not have its own power terminals so that if you would like to convert it from wireless to wired you would have to cut power connector (see below). Anyway, the black shall go to GND and red must be connected to Reverse light VCC.

3. Camera power connector - this is to connect power line from transmitter. It seems like the camera is actually 5V, not 12V and there is a tiny DC-DC converter inside of the plug.This means that if you need to power the camera independently cut the wire before the converter, not after!

4. Connect camera video cable to transmitter video cable.

5. Red and black cables on monitor shall go to permanent 12V and GND respectively.

6. Red and black cables on receiver - as per monitor. Now, it might be wise to connect red to reverse VCC as the receiver will be drawing current all the time and might even trigger monitor to turn on if there is a serious interference,

7. Connect video output from receiver to mirror monitor.

All power supplies were set to 12V output with 500mA limit. The LED takes roughly 50mA while the whole transmitting shebang (camera and transmitter) take about 300mA. The receiver and monitor use roughly 300mA together.

The monitor and receiver were permanently on, then I turned on camera. After about 2 seconds the picture appeared.

The picture itself was nice and clear, with distance lines and annoying blinking STOP writing in the middle of red distance line.

Mind that the claimed 170 degrees viewing angle is nowhere near that, more likely 140.

Occasionally there was a visible interference (probably coming from router or phones as the camera is using 2.4GHz spectrum, same as many other devices).

The system worked for a couple of minutes then the image disappeared from monitor. I checked the power supplies and all were fine except for receiver one that went into overcurrent mode. OK, I thought, maybe 500mA isn't enough for it and cranked it up to 1A. Then there was a cloud of smoke coming out from the receiver and power supply switched off again.

The receiver was really hot but what was even more worrying is that tiny DC-DC converter on camera was also extremely hot (I couldn't even hold it),

Maybe this is a faulty camera set but I am !Removed! scared now of putting anything like that in my car. If this thing can't withstand perfect lab conditions how can it be trusted to work in a car where power supply can be anything from 6V to 18V?

send it back mate, it could be a faulty unit.

I purchased an obd2 reader and that got very hot within seconds it melted the plastic and I got a replacement item within 2 days.

Of course I'll send it back but the thing is that I simply can't trust these guys anymore. If instead of testing the thing in my lab I would just do what everyone does and fit in straight into car I would have a burning piece of kit under the trim.

send it back mate, it could be a faulty unit.

I purchased an obd2 reader and that got very hot within seconds it melted the plastic and I got a replacement item within 2 days.

:o dont send stuff like that back,

The poor kids in the chinese swet shop will be shot,

No HR finger waggings in the jobs over there,

On a more serious note, most kit on eBay is cheap from china and the expensive stuff is cheap from china then enterprised on in the uk,

No real gurantee with any of the stuff mate,

Just fit your own splice in fuses to help protect from surge leading to fire.

Yeah, the Chinese... I just finished reading the "Poorly Made in China" book by Paul Midler - an amazing stuff really. :)

Looks like fuses are the right thing to do. Is there such a thing as a splice with built-in fuse or shall I just make my own circuitry?

ide buy better quality stuff mate that cheap stuff as you found could cause a fire

Yeah, the Chinese... I just finished reading the "Poorly Made in China" book by Paul Midler - an amazing stuff really. :)

Looks like fuses are the right thing to do. Is there such a thing as a splice with built-in fuse or shall I just make my own circuitry?

there is,

Log on to eBay.co.uk

Dave is the guys name absolute ledge

Has supplied all my automotive cables and connectors,

He supplies splice in fuse connectors.

heres a link to his shop: http://m.ebay.co.uk/seller?itemId=400689780599&sid=autostar*

Lenny

Thank you for the link, I didn't eveb knew such thing existed!

I also found it on RS components website.

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/inline-fuse-holders/1679382/

artscot79

I will happily buy quality product but which one? Shall I buy Ford OEM camera?

• Like 1

I'm glad I shelled out for an Alpine camera now.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

:o dont send stuff like that back,

The poor kids in the chinese swet shop will be shot,

No HR finger waggings in the jobs over there,

On a more serious note, most kit on ebay is cheap from china and the expensive stuff is cheap from china then enterprised on in the uk,

No real gurantee with any of the stuff mate,

Just fit your own splice in fuses to help protect from surge leading to fire.

Apart from your consumer rights and the distance selling regulations.

• Like 1

Apart from your consumer rights and the distance selling regulations.

i believe distance is nothing when you have an agenda,

funny-chinese-millionaire-change-name-ch

• Like 1

i believe distance is nothing when you have an agenda,

funny-chinese-millionaire-change-name-ch

I really don't get what you're saying. Under the distance selling regulations, you have the right to return any item for whatever reason within a certain time frame (I believe it's either 7 or 14 days).

• Like 1

7 days under Distance Selling Regulations

However...under the Sale of Goods Act, you have 6-months from purchase to return a faulty item, and the onus is on the RETAILER (not manufacturer) to prove beyond all reasonable doubt that wasn't a manufacturing defect.

What the Distance Selling Regs neglect to mention is who has responsibility to pay for return postage.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

I really don't get what you're saying. Under the distance selling regulations, you have the right to return any item for whatever reason within a certain time frame (I believe it's either 7 or 14 days).

i was just having a laugh mate sorry

Here's hoping my setup isn't going to go that way!

Fingers crossed it's sorted quickly for you!

Sent from my MY SAGA C2 using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 1

me 2

i have the same rear view camera, connected between the reverse light and powered from the number plate light, the only difference being im viewing my image through my CD/Stereo so should be suited to the job in theory

great camera and nice image (if you keep the lens clean)

• Like 1

Don't think that DSR applies to Chinese at all. The problem is that many of them posing as being UK business (even using UK phone numbers - ain't VoIP great?) but in reality they are in China/HK/wherever. I've sent them an email through eBay last Friday. If no satisfactory response will be received by e/o next week I'll file eBay complaint.

• Like 1

DSR sadly is only applicable to traders with a UK business number. Unfortunately the likes of getting a camera imported means that its more difficult when it goes wrong. However having said that, I must say any problems I have had with a chinese seller 90% of the time they just refund, 10% of the time they might want the product back before refunding or returning.

The last issue I had was with a seller who sent me an SD card, they wanted it back before they would issue a refund and gave me an address written in chinese. After many emails and advising I have no means of printing the address, and I am not able to write the address out by hand, I needed either a chinese address written in english or I could not return the item. In the end I told them I would be getting eBay involved, and they decided to just refund the purchase. You might find that this could be of use to you :)

I bought this one from eBay :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380852330745?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

am awaiting its arrival as it still hasnt arrived after 4 weeks, so hoping that it comes soon, but I hope that they send it out quickly or its already here just hiding in the postmans bag!

I once sold a used bass effects pedal to a local guy. He phoned me later that day to tell me it was broken, and that he could just throw it in the bin, and I could Paypal him the money. No chance. I drove out to his house, picked up the pedal, gave him back his £20 (what it cost me in diesel, frustratingly) and left.

When I got home, a quick inspection showed that one of the wires inside the case had a bit of the plastic sheath missing, and was shorting the circuit. Some insulating tape, and I sold it again for £20. No complaints so far.

Unfortunately, some people do try and take the !Removed! with this. eBay is well known for siding with the buyer, not the seller, so people can be pretty sure to get the item they want, then get a refund, without sending the item back. I don't blame a seller for being dubious in those circumstances.

I didn't realise your seller was China-based. It seems that the only protection you have is the eBay terms and conditions.

• Like 1

Finally got a response from the seller. Two responses actually in two separate emails:

In the first email they asking me to send the camera back.

In the second they want me to write camera review as I was enjoying it for a couple of weeks now. :blink:

I've sent the camera back to them today then emailed them and asked for a full refund including the postage. So far they responded positively to this, so fingers crossed I'll get my money back. :)

• Like 1

Finally got a response from the seller. Two responses actually in two separate emails:

In the first email they asking me to send the camera back.

In the second they want me to write camera review as I was enjoying it for a couple of weeks now. :blink:

I've sent the camera back to them today then emailed them and asked for a full refund including the postage. So far they responded positively to this, so fingers crossed I'll get my money back. :)

So what was your feedback comment: "Smokin hot Deal the camera really lit up my life and well it almost lite the whole house"

or

"the picture on the lens was so crisp it burst in to flames"

• Like 1

Lenny,

This is great! Can I use it with your permission? :D

• Like 1

Lenny,

This is great! Can I use it with your permission? :D

churchill_dog-website20pic.jpg

you sure it wasnt the flash going of :lol:

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club