Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta Mk7 Cooling Fan Issue?

BHeart

Hi

Update: I forgot to add that when I first heard of the issue a week ago, the first thing I checked was the coolant level and it was about 1" below the maximum mark.

I have a query about the engine cooling fan on my previous Fiesta Zetec. Normally the air coming through the bonnet grill when the car is moving, helps keep the engine temp normal and then, when in stop/start traffic, the engine fan kicks in when you are stopped or slow moving.

My daughter has got my previous 2010 Fiesta Zetec 1.25 and has recently told me that the fan has been coming a few miles after starting. She has been at our house for the last hour or so and I went out with her while she started the car up and the fan keep on immediately which I assume is not correct so I'm guessing there must be an issue.

Can anyone advise on what the problem might be and possible cost to put it right?

My fan come on instantly as soon as i turn it over for a couple of mins then it turns off, so if say its normal maybe an over sensitive sensor somewhere in the engine temp but i wouldnt worry about it its a good thing if anything keeping the engine cool as much as possible

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

It's not such a good thing if it's running while the engine is cold because it won't allow it to warm like designed, how's the coolant level?

Sent from my LT30p using Ford OC mobile app

The only other thing is, is the air con heater fan on? If i turn mine off and start up then my cooling fan doesn't come on so you could try that

Thanks for your reply Nathan_M

I've just updated my original post and as stated, I checked the coolant level a week ago and it was about 1" below the MAX mark. My daughter is coming round to ours tomorrow and I'll check it again to see if there is any drop in the level.

Hi D13 HPD 95

Thanks for your reply.

My daughter likes the interior to be warm and so always has the 'air con' con to blow out warm air in the car with the blower fan on.

What difference does having the air con heater fan on make to the engine coolant fan coming on or off?

Tbh i dont really know but i know when i turn my to off and start the car the fan doesn't start but when i have it on the cooling fan comes on when i start the car, so i just linked the two and always start it up without any air blowing into car and wait a couple of mins then then it on if you get me

Also remember certain blower settings will result in AC operation.

The A/C causes the radiator fan to come on as the fan helps to pull air through the condenser and also to help to cool the engine mainly at low speed and idle as the AC compressor adds load to the engine, I would give the engine atleast a couple of minutes from cold before switching it on, if starting from warm then just leave it on if you desire.

Hi and thanks to all who replied to my posts concerning the engine cooling fan.

I've been out to check the air con and heat/cold blower settings that my daughter was using in her car and when I started the car the air con came on immediately followed by the cooling fan and it was then I noticed that she had the air distribution settings set to windscreen/demist (fully right) and when I turned it back off windscreen, the air con and led went off.

I've explained how the settings work to her and that you would normally only use full demist in the winter to demist the windows and interior of the car and then the air con would automatically turn on. When all the windows and car were clear, she could move off demist and the air con would turn off and that she could then use any other settings she wanted, with or without air con.

As a new owner I noticed that the fan was running all the time, I queried this with a Ford techie guy at the dealer, [and also got a second opinion] and he said that this was normal, especcilly as I run with the Aircon on all the time which is supposed to be good for the Aircon. There have been a lot of posts about this.

The fan on my 1.0 and ST have never been noticeable, always sat in the middle of the temp gauge too, that 1.0 engine takes forever to warm up too.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Ford OC mobile app

The fan on my 1.0 and ST have never been noticeable, always sat in the middle of the temp gauge too, that 1.0 engine takes forever to warm up too.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Ford OC mobile app

Yes, it is odd, on my 2.0 07 Focus I never heard the fan summer or winter, and the temp guage also remained in the normal range. In my 1.6 2011 fiesta it's running all the time !. And just to save Fords a few pence they have done away with the temp guage, so hopefully I will spot the Temp light come on in time to stop before the engine seizes up.

• 3 weeks later...

Right just for a bit of information yesturday I left my little ginger mobile idling in the sun for about 5 minutes it was up to temperature after doing about 14 or so miles with the interior heater set to coldest to stop the warm air from melting me while on the move, and for the first time since I have owned it the rad fan cut in for about 30 seconds, which also shows how effective the heater matrix is at keeping your coolant temp down in the hot weather so if you leave the car idle without the AC on in hot weather then leave the heater to hot or at least the middle of the gauge and perhaps put the fan to number 2, this will keep it cool obviously if your sitting in traffic don't do it or you and your passengers may melt, just a small observation.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Ford OC mobile app

I've got a Fiesta 1.6 TDI ZS and have had problems with the fan coming on. :/ It was so loud and after getting out of the car and going to the house, it would sit with the fan on for quite a while before turning off itself.

It's done it on and off but when I took it back they told me there were no faults on the car and that it was coming on because with it being a Diesel engine, the filters need to clear every so often, so the fan will come on and it will clear them out.

Not sure if this is true or not about the fan coming on becuase of that. I do know about the filters needing clearing regularly especially if i'm doing short hourneys often, which I've also been told can be taken care of by having a little blast up the M62 at a continuous speed rather than stopping and starting etc. :unsure:

Stop start in hot weather will make the coolant hotter as the air flow through the radiator is next to nothing, I'm not sure what the engine temps have to be with diesels to engage the fan with a petrol it's usually 95-105, if it's a hot day in stop start either suffer with hot air blowing at you with the windows down or use your air conditioning as it forces the fan to run no matter what, and a good hard blast on an A road or dual carriageway will not do any harm at all anyway.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club