Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wheel Refurbishment

Connor2x4

Hi all, for my birthday I gained an extra 8 alloy wheels for my p reg fiesta. While 4 are in alright nick, the other 4 arent so great (but they were dirt cheap)

I've always wanted to have a go at painting some alloys so I had a crack on the worst wheel there was (heavily scratched, lots of filler, punctured tyre etc) and attempted to transform it.

Obviously I can't go for a professional finish as its my first try, but even the best have to start somewhere right?

post-48601-139867453631_thumb.jpg

post-48601-139867455618_thumb.jpg

post-48601-139867450366_thumb.jpg

post-48601-139867451679_thumb.jpg

post-48601-139867456924_thumb.jpg

post-48601-139867458943_thumb.jpg

post-48601-139867459868_thumb.jpg

post-48601-139867459868_thumb.jpg

post-48601-139867460978_thumb.jpg

post-48601-139867461951_thumb.jpg

I'm still not 100% sure on black, I like it but theres something niggling at the back of my mind about it

That one wheel hasnt been lacquered yet, but any feedback is helpful :) hope you enjoted the small picture thread too lol

I love the black m8!!! Sooo sweet!

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

Thanks, I may have to do them all black then :)

For your first attempt that looks pretty good to me. I once did the wheels on an MGB, they were two different colours (black/gold) just keep at it and you'll get better.

Id defo get them all black :) would look epic!!

Can you see any off the marks there where or anything? How much did u get them for if you dont mind me asking and they 15's??

Looks like it's come out OK for a first try at home job. Personally, I think it depends on what colour the car is, as to whether black wheels look good or not. I tend to prefer gun metal wheels on most cars.

the look good for a first attempt.

I do like a nice black wheel myself

Thanks for all the good feedback guys :) really spurs me on to do the rest rather than just whack em on my car lol

My cars a dark blue (state blue) but after a bit of inspection today I do think the black would go. But I was considering the gunmetal grey/anthracite.

I'll be spraying the rest in a garage so hopefully it wont be as breezy as the garden lol

Id defo get them all black :) would look epic!!

Can you see any off the marks there where or anything? How much did u get them for if you dont mind me asking and they 15's??

You can see a tiny part of the dented bit where filler was used but its only noticible within a foot or so

One set was £15 for 4 and no hubcaps and the other 4 complete with hubcaps were £50 so all in all not a bad deal if I say so myself

How big are they?? And nice :) are they all road worthy? Sounds good m8!!! How did u get such a good deal?? And where from lol

How big are they?? And nice :) are they all road worthy? Sounds good m8!!! How did u get such a good deal?? And where from lol

Sorry I forgot to say they are 14s and I currently have have 13 steels with official trims lol.

Erm a two are roadworthy, a few are crossing the line and the rest are balding so I'll need some new tyres soon. Hopefully ill be able to do a swap with my current 13s which would save me a few quid.

My pops a regional manager and so he does a lot of driving and saw the 15 set on eBay and picked them up the next day. Not sure where he got the £50 set from but still a good deal nonetheless!

Excited to do my wheels now. Optimus is currently at a garage, had a pre mot from a mate and the exhaust had fractured but turns out they've sent the wrong exhaust:( all in all though its £150 for parts and labour on the exhaust centre and end plus doing the front wishbone bushes

• Like 1

Nice :) shame if they were 17's id ask to buy 4 off you really like me but need 17's im sure it wil look wicked m8!! Keep the updates coming

Sorry mate theyre 14, I've only got an old car haha.

I was going to spend most of my day doing them today but I've been called into work 5 hours early :(

as you say your car is state blue the black/gunmetal grey or anthracite would go with it fine imo.

here is a pic of my state blue fez with shadow chrome 16 inch mondeo alloys on the colour looked a bit like gunmetal grey and suited it well.

DSC00532.jpg

Nice one trying the refurb yourself... I have done loads of alloys even welded cracks and re machined the rim edges ...

If I can a few pointers.

• If you are unsure as to the origin of the wheel before starting anything have the tyre removed and get it placed on a balancer. This will show if its buckled ( no point spending time on a bit of scrap ). I normally use a large lathe and check its trueness on there.
  • The main consideration on painting is the base. A good finish is great but if it won't stay on whats the point. Good prep work is key , make sure you remove all loose flaking material , dirt and grease. A 120 - 180 grit quality abrasive paper is a good start for the worse bits. Use this to feather out the existing coating . ( I would recommend abrasive blasting with a fine abrasive ( NOT STEEL SHOT IT'S TO HARSH )
  • Other areas of the wheel can be sanded with a 240 - 320 grit depending on the condition of the existing finish.
  • If there are bad marks to the wheel faces or edges a little filler can be used to fill these. Aluminium filler is available ,but any easy sand filler will do.
  • Once prepped use a good quality primer and apply several good coats to give a reasonable build. 2 pack primer is the best but using a acrylic primer from a can will suffice.
  • Apply a guide coat ( google if unsure what that is ) to show any defects still remaining on the surfaces whilst rubbing down the primer coat. Small imperfections can be filled using a stopper filler. Use a 600- 800 grit paper for primer
  • You can now start the final finish process. I normally use a 2k ( 2 part or 2 pack ) base coat and lacquer system but you can use a aerosol based system just as well. The 2k is far harder wearing than the spraycan stuff . ( TIP:- the more lacquer the deeper the gloss and the better the look )
  • VOILA FINISHED

This is just a brief guide hope it helps. If anyone is wanting powdercoated wheels please make sure they clearcoat the wheels after at the coaters as they loose colour and finish if silver and end up looking like bad blotchy primer after about six months +...

as you say your car is state blue the black/gunmetal grey or anthracite would go with it fine imo.

here is a pic of my state blue fez with shadow chrome 16 inch mondeo alloys on the colour looked a bit like gunmetal grey and suited it well.

DSC00532.jpg

I'll get some side shots of the car later as mines a three door but yours looks wicked too :) I think I'll stick to the black for now though and see how it goes over the last lot of wheels

Thanks for all that advice mate has hrlped me out a bit as I sanded the first wheel down with 40 grit and smoothed it with 400 :o I have started to use 80/120 on the next one and will smooth out with higher numbers next time

I've been told about filler/putty primer which fills in any deep scratches to get a better base coat, anyone had any experience with this?

(I've also smoked the front headlights now and will post that on my optimus prime thread. Am bit upset at the moment as I picked up my car from the garage other day after a bit of repair work and someones dented the bonnet :'( )

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club