Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk2.5 Side Light Removal

footfistart

Guys I need some help. I'm wanting to upgrade my side lights to some leds but how on earth do you remove the little buggers. The quick guide I've got with my car says pull rubber plug off and remove bulb?? I know there the plastic tang but what do you do with it I've had some pliers on the hand and gave it a tug but it's solid? Is there a good easy technique in removing and installing them? Ta

Basically there are lolly pop type sticks attached to the bulb one for each side. If you turn them slightly and pull towards you it should come away with the bulb attached and also the wire with it. The trick is to not turn them too much or with too much force. I use a pair of long nose pliers to reach as far down as possible so as there is less stress on the plastic. I made the mistake of twisting too much and misshaped the plastic. Also at the bottom of the lolly pop is a slot which you could try slotting a large flat head screwdriver in and try turning. Either way it only takes a little turn normally to release them. Hope that makes sense and good luck

Lee

• Like 1

Yeah I notices the tang and I did twist it and as you say it seems very fragile. So long nose pliers as far down as possible and turn. Does it's matter which way it turns? I don't fancy breaking mine lol. The bulb are the capless 501s or capped? Have you got your ones in led? Thanks for your reply mate :)

I almost snapped one of mine doing it

I found that if you get a flat blade screwdriver, the plastic bit has a sort of half moon shape that the screwdriver fits in and you should be able to twist that a little bit easier

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Yeah I notices the tang and I did twist it and as you say it seems very fragile. So long nose pliers as far down as possible and turn. Does it's matter which way it turns? I don't fancy breaking mine lol. The bulb are the capless 501s or capped? Have you got your ones in led? Thanks for your reply mate :)

You only have your twist or slightly. If you use pliers and twist and pull towards you gently it will come out. I've got Cree ones in mine. Tight squeeze but are super bright

Lee

Did you get your bulbs off of eBay? There seem to be so many on there when you type in 501 gapless led. There's ones that look like the end of your usb plug at the bottom of the bulb. Could you point to me what sort of ones will fit if it's a tight fit.

Mine were a pig to get out too twist push and pull worked with long nose pliers, Then the leds flickered after a week or two got some cree ones which havent flickered yet, I greased the bayonet bit for easier removal next time

removed full head lamp, approx 2 mins. then another 1-2 mins to change bulb.. approx 6 mins either side... easy peasy

The Cree led ones that you have fitted where can I get those from as I would like ones that are not going to be an issue. I have a Cree reverse light and that's awesome. Like having a flood light in comparison.

The headlights I can have out in no time about 30 secs each but then spend the next ten mins trying toget the buggers out. Il have aanother go on the weekend I'm sure once they've been out once I'm sure it will be easier the next time round.

Thing I forgot to ask talking of bulbs do I need canbus friendly bulbs?

• 9 years later...

I must be put straight here if anyone thinks I’m not actually kicking- I’m not. I gave a 2010 focus,zetec 100 and I can’t see my side lights. First position on the light switch turns on rears but nothing at the front. Main and full all present and working. My fuse board in passenger footwell has no wiring for the 2 fuses relating to side lights, what’s going on?

1 hour ago, Focus or jag today said:

I must be put straight here if anyone thinks I’m not actually kicking- I’m not. I gave a 2010 focus,zetec 100 and I can’t see my side lights.

On a 2010 model the front parking lights (formally known as side lights) are controlled and protected by the Body Control Module (BCM). There are no fuses for this circuit.

13 hours ago, Focus or jag today said:

I must be put straight here if anyone thinks I’m not actually kicking- I’m not. I gave a 2010 focus,zetec 100 and I can’t see my side lights. First position on the light switch turns on rears but nothing at the front. Main and full all present and working. My fuse board in passenger footwell has no wiring for the 2 fuses relating to side lights, what’s going on?

Side lights on the Mk2.5 are almost impossible to see in daylight.  They are just tiny pin-pricks in the very top corner of each headlight cluster.  The bulbs are a right pain to remove as there's a small 'paddle' to twist under the rear cover which I have snapped more than once!  They fail often, so chances are both of your sidelight bulbs have probably blown.  Even MOT testers don't always pick them up as they're so small.

27 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Side lights on the Mk2.5 are almost impossible to see in daylight. 

Mine are LEDs, can be seen in daylight, but they are much superiour to rubbish halogen ones... These are my sidelights alone at night, for some reason I don't have a library shot of them in daylight, and it's raining right now, and I'm too much of a woose to go out LOL

frontLEDsidelightsnoplate.thumb.jpg.be40fe793934e84467c4d3d3c6fd4d16.jpg

EDIT

The things I do for this forum 😂

sidelightonnonumber.thumb.jpg.7ff5a4b8d28cd585585e79f82250693c.jpg

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Mine are LEDs, can be seen in daylight, but they are much superiour to rubbish halogen ones... These are my sidelights alone at night, for some reason I don't have a library shot of them in daylight, and it's raining right now, and I'm too much of a woose to go out LOL

frontLEDsidelightsnoplate.thumb.jpg.be40fe793934e84467c4d3d3c6fd4d16.jpg

In the pre-facelift they make use of the headlight reflector bowl.  Facelifts are totally different.

This is a good example of the facelift sidelights in daylight and rain...  Just that tiny blob in the top corner.

post-56243-0-86434900-1405075800_thumb.j

They are slightly more visible in the dark.  These were my own Phillips 'Xtreme White' alongside the factory Xenon dipped beam.

No photo description available.

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club