Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2006 1.8 Tdci

kobo

Hello. I have recently purchased my first diesel (2006 Focus 1.8 TDCI) just one query, I have noticed that its not happy cruising along at 40mph in 5th gear and likewise at 30 mph in 4th gear, ( Slight labouring making me change down gear) all on flat roads which is something I never had a problem with in my petrol 1.6 focus. Most roads hold these speed limits around where I live. Is this the norm for diesels.

Can depend on the car/gearing.

My 2.0 TDCi Focus does not like 4th gear at 30mph, and definitely wouldn't like 5th at 40mph. It is more like 5mph above each of those before I can use the higher gear.

Thanks for quick reply, has anyone experienced it in the 1.8

same as in ours. i dont do 40 in 5th, and majority of the time not 30 in 4th.. now 30 in 3rd and 40 in 4th then yes....

30 in 3rd is like 1500rpm, now if you go in 4th this drops to like 1100 rpm... tick over is just under 1000.....

going them speeds in the gear's you are using isnt very good for a derv....

Same here, you just need to get used to the gearing on the diesels. its the same on the golf 1.6 tdi i drove too

Thanks for your replies, plus I thought that by dropping down a gear I would use more diesel but obviously not.

It can actually be the opposite, keeping the gear too low causes the engine to use more fuel trying to prevent a stall.

If you have a realtime mpg readout you can try it.

no ur just building up more carbon deposits in the engine, instead of burning them....

change ur driving habbits, and cange ur oil/filter more often... you look after the car, in return it will look after you....

you have a derv for fuel economy issues, dropping down a gear aint gonna hit the mpg.... i get around 44 mpg round town driving, mostly toe down, with subtle mods

Will take this all on board. I've been driving it like an OAP. Having the oil and filter changed tomorrow and plan to change 6 monthly.

drive it like u stole it lol.... well mayb not that bad.....

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club