Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta Mk6 Door Open Light Stays On..... Help......!!

chris301up

I own a 2008 Ford Fiesta MK6 1.4 TDCI and I am having a little trouble with the door open warning light on the dash staying on.

Also, the doors won't lock using the key remote control. If I shut the O/S front door hard then all is well so can only assume the problem could be the micro switch?

The only problem .... Where is it ..? I cannot find it anywhere.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Haven't got my mk6 anymore, but they are usually on the car frame where the hinge joins somewhere

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

That's what I thought, but no. The switch is nowhere to be seen. Just hinges......

Just read that apparently their built into the door latch assembly but can be unplugged to turn the light off and trick the ecu into thinking that the door is always closed

The door panels are a nightmare to take off (or they are from my experience)

Isn't it just the little plastic thing sticking out of the inside pillar that goes in when you close the door? Usually if you press it in with the doors open on any car it turns the lights off?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Ford OC mobile app

Thank you for the information. I'll strip it down over the Bank Holiday and check it out

Right.

I have attempted to strip down the drivers side door but no joy. I have removed outer door card, the inner door handle, the three screws attaching the door latch and the eleven bolts attaching the inner door card, but it just won't come off. I just cannot see how to remove this.

Why so damn difficult for such a small job :angry:

There may be an easier way to get the door liner off but I really struggled when I took mine of

Me and my dad ended up having to take the glass out of the door before we could get actually inside the door

That's assuming you mean you can't get the door card off and not the latch itself

Right. I have tried again and still cannot get the inner panel off. I do now think it will have to be a window out job and then try again over the week end. Problem is, I can no longer lock it.

Does anyone know if the switch can be replaced on it's own or is it an integral part of the o/s door switch/central locking unit?

Nightmare......!!!!

I had the same problem with my Ghia 2008 TDCi. It fixed itself after about 2-3 weeks.

If you have a look at my guide on how to convert manual windows to electric on mk6/6.5 in the guide section, I've described how to remove the inner door card window and door latch, from my experience it is tricky but not impossible, the 3 and 5 door mk6's are slightly different, on my 3door the latch is easy enough to swap with a new(used) part from eBay.

Pm me if you need any more help info or advice.

Hope you get it fixed :-)

Right. I cannot find your guide on converting manual to electric windows, and I am struggling to find how to PM you?? Really difficult site to negotiate.

Anyway, just to update you. I have tried on three separate occasions to strip the door down - but no joy. I have worked on cars for many, many years, but this is just a nightmare. I have now given up and have to leave the vehicle unlocked.

• 1 month later...

Just an update.

I still cannot remove the door card to access the central locking unit. This is proving to be very difficult!

Although I cannot lock the doors using the remote control unit, thy WILL LOCK manually using the key. The good 'old fashioned' way! I have now wired into the system an immobiliser/alarm I had on the shelf in the garage, and guess what, IT WORKS!

So why doesn't the proper Ford remote control unit work? Have replaced battery just as a matter of course - but still no joy.

It obviously cannot be a problem with the O/S door locking mechanism as the other unit I have installed would also not work - would it????

Baffled.................................

• 1 year later...

Just an update on my previous posts.

I still have not managed to remove the door cards to inspect the ongoing issue.Have to keep slamming the doors shut so that the doors will lock. They no longer lock just using the key!

Have now noticed the 'doors open light' now comes on when switching on the windscreen wipers.

What this all about??

I'm getting really annoyed with what should be a relatively straight forward repair.

Any further advice would be good !!!

This doesn't surprise me at all. You'd expect someone to think that there just might be a few dozen too many sensors. Lunacy IMHO (or a brilliant money making scheme).

I think my best bet is to replace the car when the warranty expires rather than pay a fortune to a clueless dealer who prolly couldn't fix it anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having a very similar problem myself...

I can however confirm that to remove the door, you need to remove the out handle and undo the nut holding it in place, remove the screws holding the lock in place... on the inner door card there are two rubber bungs, remove hose, lower the window so that you can see two nuts, undo these then shimmy the glass up and into the closed position... then wiggle the door card up and twist it so that the window runner lifts over the actual door... It comes out as with the window runner and door lock together.

• 2 years later...

I had this problem with a 2006 fiesta.  It was caused by corrosion in the plug and socket to the door (located where the door is attached to the body).  If you unscrew the locking ring and visually examine the many pins on this socket and you see any green colour, this is almost certain to be the problem.  I cured mine by cleaning out the corrosion as best I could with a very fine needle file and several sprayings of WD40.  I had to have 2 or 3 attempts to clear it, so be patient.  DO NOT dismantle the door until this common problem is eliminated as a possible cause.  You may also find the drain holes at the bottom of the door are clogged too, leading to water build-up on the inside of the door after rain.  Clear those with a toothpick or similar.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your kind advice

I can now confirm that I have sorted the problem - eventually. I purchased a second-hand O/S door mechanism from our local scrap yard, and after several hours of fiddling around, removing and replacing the unit, door card and glass can confirm this was the issue. The doors lock and unlock and the 'door open' warning light has finally extinguished. If only Ford would make it easier to remove and replace parts then I'm sure I could have sorted this problem earlier? Oh well - never mind. 

• 11 months later...

Sorry to bump an old post but I'm having the exact same issue with my fiesta

I've been quoted £250 to replace the door latch with a new one but surely they're is a cheaper way to fix the problem

Thanks

Just now, davidaa87 said:

Sorry to bump an old post but I'm having the exact same issue with my fiesta

I've been quoted £250 to replace the door latch with a new one but surely they're is a cheaper way to fix the problem

Thanks

Hi

I sorted my problem by replacing the door latches with good, second hand units. I've actually done both side now. Initially I thought this was going to be a difficult job, but it really isn't. Just a bit fiddly getting the door cards out. I got mine from a local Ford Fiesta breakers yard (they are listed on Ebay) which I would recommend. If I recall I think they cost around £20 each. Worth giving them a call

https://www.usedfiestaspares.co.uk/

Thank you I'll get straight on it

I appreciate you taking the time to reply

• 8 months later...

Hi, Thanks for all the insights, I have just recently purchased 1.6 Fiesta Ghia and have the same problem.

I sent it back to the dealership a day after purchase, and two days later I have received it back... Lets hope its sorted.

• 4 months later...

Hello, I am also having the same issue. before I go out spending money on a replacement unit, is the old unit repairable? can you get to the micro switch to have a look at it?

I took mine apart a while ago to have a look and couldn't see the switch and I ran out of time as I had to get the kids from school and never had a chance to look at it again, its a nightmare trying to lock the doors as it keeps trying to lock and just opens again stating drivers door is open, but if I fiddle with the locking bit and i can hear the micro switch clicking when I move the locking bar back and forth it eventually locks the car doors. I know its a loose connection in the unit near the micro switch but where? I just want to fix it.

the kids play "bum ninja" as you have to keep slamming the door until eventually the doors lock and its getting harder and harder to lock.

any help would be greatly appreciated

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club