Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Please Say Not The Turbo....

majorwedgy

Hi guys,just changed my mk 1 2.0 zetec for a mk1.5 tdci as the former was a bit thirsty. When i bought it the fan belt squealed no problem i thought but i have noticed it is crazy slow and the fan belt sound kicks in around 2.2k. Any ideas what could be the problem since i am guessing fan belt and slowness are not linked? I have changed the two hoses at the front for the intercooler which has done nothing and did try blanking the egr but have sheared a bolt :( ant help greatly appreciated

when was the car last serviced? a clogged up fuel filter will make a huge difference to the performance.

sometimes a good thrash is also required if the previous owner drove like a granny!

Thanks for getting back to me,was serviced very recently.reason i bought it was because it was an ex company car. Not sure if fuel fillet specifically was changed but stamped as full service if that means anything

Thanks for getting back to me,was serviced very recently.reason i bought it was because it was an ex company car. Not sure if fuel fillet specifically was changed but stamped as full service if that means anything

Does it mean anything - not a lot because of the ridiculusly long service intervals - ive heard of cars going through 2 services and thousands of miles without things like the air filter being changed - assume nothing - some people even mark the filters/ check the oil color to make sure they have been done -

on top of that there is "money saving" scams -

typical scams are changing the oil but leaving the oild oil filter in,(a favorite of the "fairly-speedy"-fit type places) cleaning an external filter instead of replacing it - the "one point" service- filling the radiator up with tap water and stamping the book- of course, your garage or a main dealer would not do anything like that, would it :)

• Like 1

FOCA is certainly right, I would say dont trust it entirely to be accurate. More and more places are trying to get away with such tactics, dealers, indies, they all are susceptible to a bad one that can take you for a ride, not all are that inclined, but a lot could be dishonest to pocket a few quid.

If you are not averse to getting your hands dirty and spending a few small quid on it, I would suggest its worth doing these yourself anyway, worst case scenario, it doesnt rectify the problem, but you have a more healthy alternative in there than may have been before. Best case scenario you fix the problem. For the sake of about £30 for a fuel filter, £5 for an air filter and a few quid for oil, its worth doing it for peace of mind if nothing else.

• Like 1

fanbelt sound could mean the alternator is on its way out... this is what happened to ours last year, n i thought it was the turbo n got it checked n garage suspected the same, until batt light came on then i diagnosed it at charging failure

Thanks for the responses guys, alternator is interesting shot since the battery has only very recently been replaced by the guy I bought it from, Well keep eye on it in that case. For reference I can head the turbo spool but didn't already to make any noticeable difference to acceleration,the fact it can be heard does that mean it is ok? Only ever had a new 120d to compare and that kicked like a mule when turbo came into play hence my questioning it. Appreciate the responses

u got the 1.8 tdci? the turbo should spool up and kick in around 1800 rpm... always let the car idle before and after a run to get oil circulating around necessaries

Yup, will try it tomorrow, doesn't seem as slow as old Peugeot 309 diesel which was 1.9 and slow as a !Removed! but definitely not noticed any kick. Bought a chip for it thinking that may help but, it seems to noticeably choke above 2.5k

if the chip is fitted remove it and do the elimination progress on whats making it run poor.... no point hiding problems you will just make them worse.... once all is done then re-fit the chip but only if its a decent one

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=271280572740&alt=web

That's the one I got, agree with diagnosis important before fitting, on a possibly related note, the bracket holding the inlet pipe is broke at both points meaning it is floating above the rocker cover, not massively enamoured by Ford's manufacturing skill since also found pipe for rear washer snapped in boot lid too :@

so all the chip does is increase the fuel input, and no other parameters....... to me its a bad idea, but other may agree with you...

inlet pipe you mean diesel feed?

No the metal pipe that feeds from the intercooler. As for the chip, I had my beemer remaped and it made a massive difference, there seems a lot of debate re. Chips v remap and from what I can gather the chip will be similar in that I used a 'generic' rather than rolling road specific map, nothing ventured nothing gained :)

ahh. the only pipe ive got going over my rocker/right next to it is the feed/return for my fuel filter.... a generic is a obd2 file transfer... live mapping re...rolling road etc....

Yup it was odbc and boy was it effective

some of them add-on chips do work as some guys on here have used them and had good results on the rollers.

which pipe is broken? get a pic up!

let us know how you get on with getting the fuel filter change.

Well my investigations have just taken a turn.....ford the worse and comical. Went to ford breakers and they listened and watched and said the actuator for turbo wasnt fully engaging and suspected that injectors were an issue (black smoke). He advised sticking in 2 bottles of fuel cleaner and seeing if that worked....so I did. Well got home and the engine massively overheated. Got home and water was bubbling in the resevoir; will let you know later whether it is dead or not. Well while I was cursing the world I thought I would look at the air filter.....needless to say I may have stumbled upon my problem. I am speechless to say the least and will let the pictures do the talking

OMG, thats is shocking. looks like someone has deliberately put that there....(suspicious minds!)

let the car cool down and take it for a drive to see how it drives.

!Removed! nora mate, wonder if a garage has done that to you so it brings business... leave the car for a long while as stated.... you didnt check in there prior to today?

No didn't check in there before driving this morning although clearly I wish I had!!! Car drives thankfully, however driving normally results in normal temperatures, if I give it the beans it soon starts over heating. Any thoughts?no oil in the water and doesn't appear to be losing water or oil. On a positive it feels like a bat out of hell!

OK another symptom.... No heat from the vents in the car.... Possible that the thermostat has seized?

Had a car that was overheating and no heat from the vents last summer. Was the water pump that was gone. That was a nasty bill, few hundered.

I think probably thermostat, or water pump. I wouldn't drive it until its sorted as you could blow you head gasket I'd it overheats.

Sent from my Zetec S using the FOC for Android app

Well changed the thermostat yesterday and drained the radiator. Water just stayed in the reservoir didn't move at all out of it. Stripped the side plastics out and the squeal from the left hand pulley which I believe is the water pump was awful. Spraying WD quietened it for a few seconds so thinking water pump. Looking at the belt it is virtually new I think so guessing the joker who sold it knew the pump or tensioner were dead. Water pump is about 30 new on eBay can't seem to find the tensioner though. Virtually stripped down to where need to so going to buy pump and hope for the best. Will keep you updated

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club