Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lock Door But Can Still Open It

samw

Hi

I have a fiesta 51 plate which does not have central locking. Recently I have tried to lock my passenger door with key or from inside (no difference) and the door is locked if you try it the first time if you try it a second time the door pops open. This is what usually happens. But also sometimes when you try the door the first time it feels locked but if you let go of the handle the door pops open.

Any ides please as to what this may be as I cant really lock the car :/

Thank you in advance

Sam

Is this only the case when your in the car? if so, I think thats normal. The door is locked which is why the first pull on the handle doesnt open the door, it then pops the lock so the second pull opens the door?

Thanks for your reply. I mean from outside. If you lock the door one the key or by pressing the door handle in from the inside you can still open from outside

Do you hear the lock mechanism activate when you put the handle in?

Basically what it does is when you push the handle in, the door lock rod moves backwards and this should initiate the lock. Does the door lock otherwise OK?

hi thanks for your responce

I have just tried it and all I can say is that it sounds a bit 'springy' if that makes sence.

tried it on drivers side and the sound of the bolt was crisp and you could hear it slide across nicely but the passenger side sounded like I said above 'springy'

sam

oh and the door is the same with key or when pressing from inside

might just need greasing up.

Check that if you lock the doors from the outside that you cannot open the door. If you can, then the lock itself is in need of replacement I would say. If however it is locked and secure, then you probably need to take the door card off, and look to clean up or replace the door lock rod.

oh and the door is the same with key or when pressing from inside

yes the same both ways

might just need greasing up.

Check that if you lock the doors from the outside that you cannot open the door. If you can, then the lock itself is in need of replacement I would say. If however it is locked and secure, then you probably need to take the door card off, and look to clean up or replace the door lock rod.

is it a simple change out? don't need to change keys or anything like that?

sorry if this seems a simple answer not hugely mechanical but can do a few things..

thank you both

Hi Sam,

No worries,

basically if you need to replace the lock mechanism it can be a pain, you will need a Haynes manual at least. Replacing the door lock rod (if thats the problem) is an equal difficulty, but its not beyond anyones skill set. I managed to get most of it done, but I just didnt have time so chucked it into a garage.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club