Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Electrical problems.

cstew

I've introduced myself in the newbie section, so here goes with my problem. Last week I fitted a new stereo in my other halfs Ka, I've fitted loads before and it's always been straight forward. I plugged the thing in, clipped it into it's cage and slotted it in to the dash. I come to see if it's working and nothing. I check all the wiring and everything is fine, no loose wires, no plugs dropped out, fuse in the stereo is fine, I try again and still nothing. I try the stereo in my car and it's working fine. Next thing I notice that the dials don't sweep when I turn on the ignition and don't move at all once the engine is on. So I check all the fuses, they're all fine, I disconnect the battery and leave it for a while, reconnect it and still nothing. There is some power getting to the stereo, as it will still suck in and eject CD's. it just won't power up to play. And just to add a final strange twist, the dials do work, after you've driven about 10 feet, they just burst in to life, I'm utterly confused, any ideas???

if you remove the new radio & put the original back into the car does it all work fine on the dash aswell ??

if it does until you fit the new radio then

check the wire connectors on the loom & the ones that fit into the radio to

make wure they are in the correct order

i.s

red into red etc

i had something similar on a car sometime back &

i found the constant live was say in connector 2 off the radio but connector 3 off the car wire loom

if that makes sense

i know you have to use a convertor block so check the sequence of coloured wires as they

can be in the wong order.

also make sure the earth is earthed properly

if not sure then add a wire to the earth & earth it yourself to be on the safe side

if you remove the new radio & put the original back into the car does it all work fine on the dash aswell ??

if it does until you fit the new radio then

check the wire connectors on the loom & the ones that fit into the radio to

make wure they are in the correct order

i.s

red into red etc

i had something similar on a car sometime back &

i found the constant live was say in connector 2 off the radio but connector 3 off the car wire loom

if that makes sense

i know you have to use a convertor block so check the sequence of coloured wires as they

can be in the wong order.

also make sure the earth is earthed properly

if not sure then add a wire to the earth & earth it yourself to be on the safe side.

i hope this is of some help to you

keep us posted

delboy

Original stereo does not work either, nor do the dials work properly with no stereo in at all!!

Original stereo does not work either, nor do the dials work properly with no stereo in at all!!

i would phone green flag & get them to call out to tak a look at her as

there is more wrong than just the stereo

get it checked properly or take it to a auto electrical place.

a garage is no good m8 then only call a mobile electrician out themselves.

sounds like you have a dodgy earth somewhere

It still runs fine, just takes about 20 seconds for the dials to fire up after you've started the engine, I'm reluctant to spend a lot of time & or money on it seen as we have to give it back in September, the !Removed! finance company we got it off has gone bust and want it back so they can sell it!!

i can understand what your saying.

if you know anyone that's got an electrical tester then ask them

to check the relays as it maybe one of those that's playing up.

or you can just remove a relay & try the car then

eliminate the faulty one 1 at a time

they don't cost much either

they are located nr the fuse box

remove the fuse box cover then you will see 2 screws

remove them & the fuse box will drop down & i recall the relays are above them .

otherwise leave it and take it back when finished with if you

can live with it bit there maybe a time when

it all fails on you ?

• 11 years later...

Hi there did you find out the problem as I have the same one exactly fitted after market stereo and loose no  one ignition click and the the fuel gauge and mileage takes awhile to illuminate I'm scratching my head can anyone help please