Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Potential New Owner

arnosvale

Hi all,

I am selling my beloved S type Jaguar due to retirement and the need for a suitable vehicle to carry my newly aquired training partner around, namely a dog. I am very tempted by a Focus and have my eye on a 2003 (53) plate 1.6 Ghia which has had 1 owner from new and has done 103000 miles with a full service history. Just the job. What does anyone think of this model of Focus with the mileage it has? I don't want a diesel as the old luggers were proper old school diesels and the TDCi engine fills me with dread after nearly being bankrupted by a 2.2 Ford TDCi fitted to an X type. How can any manufacturer fit such a defunct piece of kit as the dual mass flywheel? What were they thinking of? I got rid of it after spending £lots on fuel problems and was advised to pass it on. It sounded like a tractor first thing in the morning with the pulleys shaking themselves to death. It's a petrol Ford for me now as I only do short journeys. We also have a, don't laugh, Renault Laguna 111 sport tourer 2.0 dci on a 10 plate which is an absolutely superb car and is great on long journeys returning over 50mpg. No timing belts to worry about either. Poor old Renault. The old laguna was so beset with problems that they spent billions of Euros to get the range right and they have more than succeeded. If you see a cheap one, not the saloon which is plug ugly, by it. The best kept secret. Sadly no longer sold in the UK. Huge spec.

Where was I? Oh! Yes. Ford Focus. Any suggestions cheerfully taken on board.

I used to own a 52 plate 1.6 Zetec a few years ago and I got that at 110,000 miles, I owned it for 2 years and sold it when it was on 135,000 miles and it was a fantastic car and to me it still ran like it was only a 70,000 mile car. The only thing that I would grumble about that car is the rear suspension which to me felt a bit tired and worn but it's no surprise when the car was at that mileage. It never let me down apart from when the coil pack went on it not long after I got it though but these are a really common issue with these cars and it is a cheap £50 / 15 minute job to change.

The most important thing to look out for on these cars of this age & mileage is the cambelt & tensioner, these have to be done at the 100,000 mile / 10 mark or whichever comes first. Though you've said that the Focus you've got your eye on has for Full service History so chances are is that it's already been changed but just make sure when you look at the history.

Liam

Thanks Liam, I will def check the belt has been done.

My wife use to have a '06 Focus 1.6 Ghia (115) in Tonic great car but for me the Mk1 Focus was the best ever!, great styling / risky design loved it !

Sent from my HTC One X using Ford OC mobile app

Send details if jag pls

I do like JAGS all that leather and wood, love the last of the XJ's 03-08 reg especially Sovereign looks awesome.

Looks a smart car i will show my mate whos looking for 1 ta. It is petrol jag ?

Yes it is petrol, 3.0 V6

And I bet it's as smooth as silk

It sure is Vincent, well it is until you push the sport mode button, then woosh!

I use to drive my father in law's I use to always have it in sports mode and floor it use to remind me of Smokey and the bandit!, loverly motors, Great sound! Too good to be on eBay unless you want a quick sale, put it on "Car and Classic" brilliant website

Thanks for the advice. I am going to de list it on eBay before the 12b hr deadline. My local dealer has told me to put it on Autotrader. He wants it but gave me all the usual, too big, no one wants them, give you £500 to take it off your hands etc.

Welcome to the family Steven!

You not thought about nice mk 2 / 3 Mondeo?, some loverly examples about of the GHIA X I've had the pleasure of owning both over the years with the 2.0 & 2.5 units both great especially in automatic guise ,reliable, comfy motors with all the toys !! and am currently on my 7th Mondeo since the Mk 1 began back in '93

Too big Vincent. I already have a big sport tourer as I stated in my intro. My wifes words were, "No more big estate cars." By the way my jag is up to £820 with 14 hrs left. According to Autotrader it is worth £1250 so I will keep an eye on it until just before the deadline and then if she aint made much more `i will de list it.

I must say that doing abit of checking Focus parts do seem to be very reasonably priced compared to my last few cars. BMW 5 series petrol x 2 (Sublime), X type jag estate diesel x 2 (mediocre except on M way), Laguna 111 diesel sport tourer (Excellent).

Your definitely getting the best Focus mk1 but I'd definitely hold out for a Ghia model better equipped and the engines are great except 1.4 which only came in basic spec.

It is a Ghia I have my eye on. What about the dreaded cam belt? I always like to have these jobs done myself with the proper parts regardless of what it says or doesn't say in the service history. I only ever believe proper main dealer service history anyway. This one has the proper history up to 50000 miles and then it gets very vague after that. I suspect someone has lost half of it. Strange as the same owner has had it since 2004. It states one previous owner on the V5 so I suspect it was a demo before that. The interior is in good shape but it does have the usual scuffs on the bodywork. The last MOT said that the rear springs were corroded, the dealer says they have been done. Of course I believe him!!!!!! That was the only advisory.

Not a fan of Ford main dealers to be honest !, they like stamping service books and charging top wack but not service as they should, my wife use to have a brand new '06,Focus 1:6 Ghia and we had it's serviced regular and it was only on the last service 25k (?3 year's old ) at my brothers garage "another dealer" that all the original factory parts were replaced but for 3 year's we'd paid for full services and they'd never changed a thing!!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club