Focus2009

Bad Starting 2009 1.6 Petrol Focus S

Can anyone help pls, my focus has a starting problem, every now & then it fails to start!, been to ford, and they can't find anything wrong with it. It's worse when it's cold

Does the engine crank when it fails to start or no crank at all?

had similar prob although only when warm then cooled back down would go out stop a few times shopping or whatever come back an hr or so later and it would splutter and not start first time, turned out to be coolant temp sensor

Many thanks, my car struggles from cold, just wondering if it's the air intake?

Does the engine crank when it fails to start or no crank at all?

hi, yes it does, it only struggles from cold

During the cranking does it feel likes the starter motor is struggling to spin the engine over?

No it doesn't, and when it eventually starts, you have to wait a bit, before pulling away

Try installing a new aif filter. Then take out the maf sensor be by the filter somewhere claean this up... try that.....

My car does the same. Air filter changed, spark plugs etc. You have this issue on short journey to like the shops. Ford told me it's the heat sock issue. To fix it to do a pcm update done that using elm config same issue. But I have never tried the coolant temp sensor?

Engine cranks fine, you have enought power to try starting the engine about 5 times eventually it will start. Something you get the stutters, or starts then dies or the complete fail to start but on 2nd go it works.