Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Decisions...

jimrex

Wonder if you guys can help make my mind up on what to do...

My Focus had its third birthday in March and has just clocked over 45k. It has been a gem and never gone wrong, probably the best car I've had.

But, with a new job last year my commute has increased to about 70 miles a day, and it already needs three new tyres and brake pads. This, combined with the fact it's now out of warranty, has left me looking at my options:

1) Hang on to the car. It's only three years old, mileage isn't outrageous and it still makes me smile. Though this time next year, it'll be at 60k+ miles and the MK3 facelift will be out making the second hand value lower

2) New car. I get a massive discount on a new Volvo through work, meaning I can get a V40 R Design for about £19k (£260/month on a 3 year PCP). I test drove one at the weekend and I quite like them, but they don't excite me particularly... being 24, I still see Volvos as old man's cars.

3) New car... Another Ford? Wait until the MK3.5? Trade back down to a Fiesta? Ahhh!

What do you guys reckon?

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

Have you got any finance left on the current one? I'd say if it's been a gem and all it needs is some tyres and brakes then the money is probably best spent there, rather than spending unnecessary amounts of cash on a new car when the current one is fine.

I'm personally waiting till the facelift Focus comes out. (Check my sig, lol). I don't think the value of our cars will drop much because of it.

You might even be able to have one by the end of the year.

Probably sounds boring, but if your car's fine and there are no outlays apart from the usual insurance/tax bills then you may as well keep it for now!

Couple of people i know get bored and start wanting something new, but they forget they're at the sweet spot in their cars life where there arent any big services and its literally just paying to run the car.

the money they save usually means they can afford more, or the car they were waiting for has come down in price (also taking into account of their current car's value dropping too)

have you stopped yawning yet? :lol:

My car doesn't need changing anytime soon, but it can be really hard to resist the itch for something new. I'd like to keep my car until it is at least 3 yrs, but I know if I see I good deal on the facelift I might not be able to resist, especially if they make a good job of the zetec s.

I should keep my car until it as around 5, after I have managed to move out, but I'm also trying to be realistic, knowing what I'm like, lol.

Probably not being much help here James, lol.

I'd either keep it or get a MK3.5 in the next year. Three years isn't old so I wouldn't worry about it going wrong for at least another few years.

What about ordering a 3.5 for delivery next March?

Focus 3.5!

Volvo interiors depress me and will age you horribly lol

I buy 3 year old cars for this reason 9 times out of ten theres nothing wrong with them theyre at least half the price of new plus can be easily bought outright in less than three years, Saying that i enjoy servicing/maintaining etc its like a hobby to me.

If you still arent bored of it save your money buy the tyres or whatever it needs and save a deposit for a house or go on a holiday somewhere theres more to life than a number plate :)

• Like 3

All very valid points, thanks guys. I'm still going to consider my options but chances are that I'll run my current focus for a while longer (considering today I caved in and bought new discs and pads!)

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club