Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Eng Malfuntion Light On, Resets When Switched Off. Lack Of Power

Welsh Steve

On a 400 mile trip, at 200 miles, Eng malfuntion and traction contol light (i think, orange car with skid marks) came on with lack of power. I pullled into sevices and called the RAC. codes reported and cleared were u3001, u0401, u0416. I then drove the remainder of the 200 miles without a problem.

whilst traveling to and from work this week (80 Mile return trip) the fault has been re-ocuring within 2-5 min of setting off. The fault dose not seem related to high reving or heavy breaking, it just comes on after a few minuits, after switching off and on again, it drives great.

3 weeks ago I changed the rear pads, drove for a week, then drove to Glasgow from S Wales, no problems until 1/2 way back from Glasgow.

Any one have any Idea where the problem lies, and any reccomendations for a dediated Ford Disc for my lap top from e-bay to clear my codes and read brake and air bag faults??? PLEASE HELP

u3001 - ABS Module improper shutdown - sounds like it lost power to the ABS module. The ESP (the icon you speak of) relies on the ABS sensor readings to identify speed of each wheel in order to align braking balance to keep the tightest corner. This is why you saw the ESP light.

u0401 - Invalid Data received from ECM / PCM A - This relates to the PCM not being able to validate that the speed at the road is the same speed at which the engine should be going. Again, likely related to the ABS Module.

u0416 - Invalid Data recieved from vehicle Dynamics Control Module - if the PCSM recieves faulty, no mode, CCD service required, off, or unavailable 5 times this error comes up. Unless I am being an idiot, I believe the CCD is the Cruise Control system.

Two of those issues though would point to a failing module, ordinarily if it was a wiring issue, or a sensor, I would expect to see the ABS light come on, as well as an error code saying sensor X to point to a wheel in particular. The car can still drive fine if one sensor is duff, but the ABS may be disabled, or just compensate with three other wheels (been there done that!) whereas because the ECU doesnt know how fast your going, it doesnt know what to do for safety, so goes into limp mode.

Last night I ordered a Ford spisific disc to put in the lap-top, It wont get here until Mon-Tues. Still getting to and from work in limp mode, have to wait for latest codes. You have to think a long way ahead on the m-way in limp to maintain your speed without breaking whel you know a hill is just arround the corner.

Jeebowhite Thanks for your input.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a F-superMK2 Interface for my lap-top but half of tabs on the LHS are "greyed out" tcm, air bag & cluster

When LIVE DATA is selected with the Engine running it dose not even display ENG RPM. I have loaded the softwear onto 2 lap-tops with security disabled and get exactly the same results.

Mind you, Fuel consumption is a bit good in "Limp mode"

Any one know a link to find out what all these boxes mean?

I might just stick it into a ford garage, boy i know it will cost & we will be on short rations for a month or 3.

Here are a couple of screen shots of the programme

Error can't do screen shots

Unfortunately I cant even get F Super to connect to my car (Ford Scan or formidable) as I just cant find the right option to choose.

Try FORScan, as its a program for Ford and Mazda and a couple of others, its free, and will get you some access to the car, however, you really need a modified ELM with high and medium speed communication to get all the error codes read. I have a spare one that is perfectly usable, but it just wouldnt write to my instrument cluster on the CMAX so if I can dig it out and make sure it works, I am happy to sell it on to you cheap?

• 6 years later...
On 5/8/2014 at 10:58 AM, jeebowhite said:

u3001 - ABS Module improper shutdown - sounds like it lost power to the ABS module. The ESP (the icon you speak of) relies on the ABS sensor readings to identify speed of each wheel in order to align braking balance to keep the tightest corner. This is why you saw the ESP light.

u0401 - Invalid Data received from ECM / PCM A - This relates to the PCM not being able to validate that the speed at the road is the same speed at which the engine should be going. Again, likely related to the ABS Module.

u0416 - Invalid Data recieved from vehicle Dynamics Control Module - if the PCSM recieves faulty, no mode, CCD service required, off, or unavailable 5 times this error comes up. Unless I am being an idiot, I believe the CCD is the Cruise Control system.

Two of those issues though would point to a failing module, ordinarily if it was a wiring issue, or a sensor, I would expect to see the ABS light come on, as well as an error code saying sensor X to point to a wheel in particular. The car can still drive fine if one sensor is duff, but the ABS may be disabled, or just compensate with three other wheels (been there done that!) whereas because the ECU doesnt know how fast your going, it doesnt know what to do for safety, so goes into limp mode.

abs improper shutdown same prob as me whats the fix ? is there a way of bypassing power to test it ? does it have a relay to test?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club