Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Security Filler

TurboZutek

Hi all!

So, this question might sound a bit daft, but...

I'm looking to add some DieselEX fuel additive to my New Fiesta's tank... But you can't! Soon as I get near the filler, there's a thin piece of steel in the way! I tried a few ways to defeat it, mostly by holding the interlock clips (which detect when a fuel nozzle has been inserted) but it's having none of it and remains in the way, ever defiant.

I know this is part of Fords 'awesome' new security device which prevents thiefs from helping themselves to your fuel, but how exactly are you supposed to ADD anything to the mix? Is there another way to add some additive to the fuel which I'm missing, maybe?

/bit of a head-scratcher

Chris...

I have had the exact same issue, even when I put redex in with petrol in a petrol can (like the one you would use if you ran out of petrol), it breaks the air lock past the silver flap but the liquid comes pouring out under the car!

So if I ran out of petrol how would I get it in without pushing the car/being towed to a garage?

:huh: Sorry if this is a silly question, but why on earth are you both trying to force fuel additives into your brand new fiestas? :blink:

I guess If its a diesel just use the plastic filling nozzle that comes with the vehicle

:huh: Sorry if this is a silly question, but why on earth are you both trying to force fuel additives into your brand new fiestas? :blink:

Because modern low sulphur Diesel is !Removed! and I want to keep my high pressure pump well lubricated while it's still bedding in.

On a side note, I've been running 200ml per tank of two stroke oil in my other Diesels (Astra CDTi and Rover 220) and it makes for a quieter, cleaner burn. I was thinking of trying this with the Fiesta after a bedding in period of maybe 5k Miles. Except this puts the clamps on that experiment, I guess!

I guess If its a diesel just use the plastic filling nozzle that comes with the vehicle

There's a plastic filling nozzle that comes with the vehicle!? Wow... I should really have a look in the boot for that! Come to think of it... I should also have a look at the spare wheel kit and find out how IT works while I'm at it!

Chris...

Because modern low sulphur Diesel is !Removed! and I want to keep my high pressure pump well lubricated while it's still bedding in.

On a side note, I've been running 200ml per tank of two stroke oil in my other Diesels (Astra CDTi and Rover 220) and it makes for a quieter, cleaner burn. I was thinking of trying this with the Fiesta after a bedding in period of maybe 5k Miles. Except this puts the clamps on that experiment, I guess!

I always thought that they added these additives to the fuel anyway so you wouldnt need to use additives yourself. I think the jury is still out on additives tbh.....

Pouring oil into your fuel tank sounds insane to me but I have never owned a diesel so i cant really comment on that. 2 stroke is quite light oil i suppose, but do you mix it? What if the car sucked up a load of the 2-stroke that hadnt mixed properly? Are you using mineral or synthetic two stroke?

sorry for the Q's lol!

Pouring oil into your fuel tank sounds insane to me but I have never owned a diesel so i cant really comment on that. 2 stroke is quite light oil i suppose, but do you mix it? What if the car sucked up a load of the 2-stroke that hadnt mixed properly? Are you using mineral or synthetic two stroke?

sorry for the Q's lol!

Well, Diesel IS an oil, hey? Basically, you add a tiny amount to each tank (200ml only) which puts back the lubricity removed by taking the Sulphur OUT of Diesel. Mixing is rarely a problem as the in tank pump is constantly circulating the fuel to the engine and then BACK to the tank for anything it doesn't drink; so even if it did suck up one big lump, only a tiny fraction undiluted would make it to the injectors.

The upsides:

1. Quieter running

2. Longer pump life due to better greasing of the internals

3. Improved MPG (we are only talking about a few extra miles a tank - nothing miraculous)

4. Cleaner burn (this is due to the two stroke removing any carbon deposits there might be [not a big problem in a new engine])

On the down side:

1. You can't get it IN the New Fiesta! :lol:

There's a very interesting thread over here you might want a look at:

http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=297911

And also this (which prompted me to give it a try in the first place):

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic878.html?...ight=stroke+oil

As I said, if I manage it, I'll report back how it goes in the New Fiesta which (on the 1.4 I have) has a fairly 'noisy until warm' older design 8v Diesel Engine.

Chris...

There's a plastic filling nozzle that comes with the vehicle!? Wow... I should really have a look in the boot for that!

Chris...

My dealer drew my attention to the nozzle when i picked the car up, surprised your dealer missed it, as with the new filler system it could become important.....

My dealer drew my attention to the nozzle when i picked the car up, surprised your dealer missed it, as with the new filler system it could become important.....

Same here (our dealer pointed it out when we collected the car, as it's necessary to know about it in case you need to fill up from a can in an emergency) - it's in the glovebox on our petrol model (though of course it's just wherever it gets left by the last person to handle it!).

I checked out those links, seems like quite an interesting topic. Ta for the reply :)

Ah ha!

My car was delivered to my door and basically just 'dropped off' by the lease company... So all I really had in the way of an introduction to the features was the pretty ropey manual that comes with the car.

I'll deffo have a look and hunt out the filler nozzle though, that sounds ideal.

I checked out those links, seems like quite an interesting topic. Ta for the reply :)

You're welcome matey.

Chris...

Lesson one.

Put decent quality fuel in your car and therefore you have no need to buy expensive aftermarket additives.

Ah ha!

My car was delivered to my door and basically just 'dropped off' by the lease company... So all I really had in the way of an introduction to the features was the pretty ropey manual that comes with the car.

I'll deffo have a look and hunt out the filler nozzle though, that sounds ideal.

You're welcome matey.

Chris...

I'm a bit miffed now lol! why are you bothering with all this if its a lease car? :)

where would I find this nossle on my mk7 zetec?

Lesson one.

Put decent quality fuel in your car and therefore you have no need to buy expensive aftermarket additives.

Lesson two;

No matter WHERE you get your fuel from in the UK or how much you pay - it's ALL still Ultra Low Sulphur (Euro IV spec) Diesel.

I'm pretty sure that one litre of good quality 2/ oil (£1) wouldn't count as an 'expensive aftermarket additive' as that works out at about 20p per tank. 20p which is offset by the slightly better economy, if you are really into watching the pennies!! :P

If you were adding a shot of something like redex to every tank though, yeah, that would be a false economy. I'm not recommending anyone do that!

I'm a bit miffed now lol! why are you bothering with all this if its a lease car? :)

Because I get to keep it for three years and I'd like to see the benefits as mentioned over that time.

We had a fleet of New Corsas (1.3 CDTi, 16v) a couple of years ago - I ran mine with the two stroke trick while my colleagues did not. Who's do you think was running sweeter after a couple of years hard graft (and by hard graft, I mean us caning the !Removed! off them)?

And, the final point I'd like to cover in this post? I found the plastic nozzle, hiding in behind the back seats! Great news!!! :)

I'll let you all know how it goes!

Chris...

Mine was in the glove box inside a plastic bag, if its not there try in the boot with the spare wheel and jack

see me id have put it in a petrol canister that you have if you run out of petrol lol! ha well

Lesson two;

No matter WHERE you get your fuel from in the UK or how much you pay - it's ALL still Ultra Low Sulphur (Euro IV spec) Diesel.

I'm pretty sure that one litre of good quality 2/ oil (£1) wouldn't count as an 'expensive aftermarket additive' as that works out at about 20p per tank. 20p which is offset by the slightly better economy, if you are really into watching the pennies!! :P

If you were adding a shot of something like redex to every tank though, yeah, that would be a false economy. I'm not recommending anyone do that!

Because I get to keep it for three years and I'd like to see the benefits as mentioned over that time.

We had a fleet of New Corsas (1.3 CDTi, 16v) a couple of years ago - I ran mine with the two stroke trick while my colleagues did not. Who's do you think was running sweeter after a couple of years hard graft (and by hard graft, I mean us caning the !Removed! off them)?

And, the final point I'd like to cover in this post? I found the plastic nozzle, hiding in behind the back seats! Great news!!! :)

I'll let you all know how it goes!

Chris...

Doesn't that suggest some kind of hypocrisy.

Loving them with one hand whilst spanking them with the other?

I'm still nor seeing the benefits that you gain though. It isn't your car, what do you gain?

Also.

Euro regulation fuel has been around for years, surely the "all new fiesta" has been optimised for the euro diesel.....?

Doesn't that suggest some kind of hypocrisy.

Well let's see... no? Unless you'd care to elaborate, I think you're the only one spotting that.

Loving them with one hand whilst spanking them with the other?

Do you mean the cars?? This car (The Fiesta) is a PERSONAL lease, there will be no spanking of the car outwith reasonable spanking! :)

The corporate cars (Corsas) we had while well serviced and mechanically looked after - had a HARD life; constant small journeys, the seats folded down and tons of HEAVY computer equipment in the back, being run nearly dry of fuel and various different drivers of varied ability trying to reverse park 'em! In short, typical corporate 'white van man' driving.

Just for the avoidance of any doubt (also) no one 'loved' the Corsas either; in fact most of the drivers hated them, which did not improve their chances of having a quiet life!

I'm still nor seeing the benefits that you gain though. It isn't your car, what do you gain?

I gain a quieter, smoother car with better fuel economy and reduced emissions - over three years. It's not too hard to grasp how that would be an advantage, surely? Certainly I couldn't give a toot less that the pump will have seen less wear after five years (because I won't have the car anymore) but that's just one of the advantages, hey?

It's good news for whoever gets the motor at auction afterwards though!

Euro regulation fuel has been around for years, surely the "all new fiesta" has been optimised for the euro diesel.....?

Yep, it can take it no problem at all - it can also handle US spec diesel which by all accounts is pretty rough stuff in comparison to Europe. It's been designed for it; I could run the car on straight diesel with NO problems for the rest of the cars' life. What I'm saying (and hoping) is that it might run better with better lubricity in the fuel; which 2/ should provide, if the American and German studies into exactly this subject are correct, that is.

As near as I can see, it won't do any HARM, so having had good results in previous and present cars that I own - I think it's worth a try.

For anyone with a big question mark still over their heads, please go and read this thread:

It explains what I'm talking about WAY better than I do!! ;)

Chris...

Mine is where the spare wheel should be.

Mine is where the spare wheel should be.

Found it, thanks Nipz :)

I gain a quieter, smoother car with better fuel economy and reduced emissions - over three years. It's not too hard to grasp how that would be an advantage, surely? Certainly I couldn't give a toot less that the pump will have seen less wear after five years (because I won't have the car anymore) but that's just one of the advantages, hey?

3 Points.

There's no such thing as a quiet diesel.

Can you give me a break down of the difference in MPG and how do you check the data?

What do you gain due to reduced emmisions and how did you check them?

Again, I'm not seeing the benefits.

There's no such thing as a quiet diesel.

I'm pretty sure no one ever made the claim that there WAS such a thing as a 'quiet Diesel'. The claim made is that 2/ can make your Diesel quietER, which is a laudable goal. Anyone who thinks that a fuel additive in a Diesel engine will make it as quiet as a petrol or near silent, is sadly misguided.

If it made it a bit quieter? I'd be all for it.

Can you give me a break down of the difference in MPG and how do you check the data?

Allow me to refer you to the original thread where a more in depth analysis was done:

In my personal experience, I saw MPG gains in my Rover of around 2MPG, calculated by running to a quarter tank and refilling. The with and without oil testing was done FIVE fill ups apart, to ensure there wasn't any 2/ left that might bugger up the results.

While this was in an older car, I'm curious to find out is if gains like it can be had in a newer car, hence the test.

What do you gain due to reduced emmisions and how did you check them?

In the German and American studies, they used a Diesel Particle Meter and a Soot Analyser.

Allow me to refer you to the original thread where more in depth analysis was done:

As of this moment, we do not have that data for the Fiesta; which is why I'm attempting to get it by way of this experiment.

Oh, I should reiterate. Read this thread: http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic878.html?...ight=stroke+oil it might save you asking questions that have already been answered by the author nearly 2 years ago.

Chris...

I'm pretty sure no one ever made the claim that there WAS such a thing as a 'quiet Diesel'. The claim made is that 2/ can make your Diesel quietER, which is a laudable goal. Anyone who thinks that a fuel additive in a Diesel engine will make it as quiet as a petrol or near silent, is sadly misguided.

If it made it a bit quieter? I'd be all for it.

Allow me to refer you to the original thread where a more in depth analysis was done:

In my personal experience, I saw MPG gains in my Rover of around 2MPG, calculated by running to a quarter tank and refilling. The with and without oil testing was done FIVE fill ups apart, to ensure there wasn't any 2/ left that might bugger up the results.

While this was in an older car, I'm curious to find out is if gains like it can be had in a newer car, hence the test.

In the German and American studies, they used a Diesel Particle Meter and a Soot Analyser.

Allow me to refer you to the original thread where more in depth analysis was done:

As of this moment, we do not have that data for the Fiesta; which is why I'm attempting to get it by way of this experiment.

Oh, I should reiterate. Read this thread: http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic878.html?...ight=stroke+oil it might save you asking questions that have already been answered by the author nearly 2 years ago.

Chris...

See, I can understand your first 2 points to a degree although one can gain 2 mpg by changing the style of driving, ensuring your tyres are the correct pressure, don't use a/c, don't drive with windows open and so on. I mean, if it does improve an extra 2 mpg over say a year and 8000 miles it's gonna save you about 70p a week, minus what it costs for the additives you put in. Honest, it aint worth it.

Also, a noisy diesel is still a noisy diesel even when it's just a little bit quieter than a noisy diesel. That's what the volume button is for on the stereo or should I say that's why they make petrol engines. :ph34r:

I'm looking for the benefits in all this and that's the problem with the last point.

How will lower emissions benefit you. The taxman ain't gonna come knocking on your door and hand you £20 back for lowering the emissions. The planet aint gonna change in any shape or form no matter what you, I or the millions of other motorists do. You'll sail through the MOT no matter what, so what's the benefit or more to the point, what's the point.

Now, if you said "peace of mind" 5 posts ago, I'd have accepted that and you wouldn't have found out I can be an argumentative so and so. :lol: