Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Buying Mondeo

FTOFF

Hi guys.

Found on eBay mondeo estate, the guy states that it had turbo, flywheel, clutch, cambelt change not recently, but the mileage is quite high 191k.

The car is 2L tdci zetec 58plate.

Is that amount of mileage for mondeo deadly?

You think is it worth to have a look?

wow, thats quite a lot of miles!

When I was looking for mine, I found a couple that where high milers (wonder if thats the same one I saw) and to be honest, I wouldnt have personally gone for it, as I dont have the money straight away to do things to it. I would say check when the belt was changed and see how he has driven it, if he has driven it hard, I would be looking to replace the belt at least as a safety measure.

The 2.0 I believe is belt driven (for Aux?) and Chain driven for timing, so you might be alright, but I would still give it a health check!

Otherwise it seems to have had the big things done. My mondeo had its clutch and flywheel changed 45k ago, so I am hoping it is in good shape (does feel it), but if your buying from an individual then I would say be cautious, maybe even go as far as to get a proper vehicle assessment done. That way you might be able to negotiate the price to cover your costs for any work that is needed.

The car is quite far away from home, so want to know what the noble people of this forum thinks.

There are some other estates with less miles.

Is the turbo a thing to worry about?

thanks James for reply.

There is one more same speck but the turbo wasn't changed, and has 120k miles.

And it was a taxi, at least the ad says that it had a PCO license.And the car looks great.

Depends how much it is going to cost to buy

Agreed if it's cheaper then you can invest the difference in repairs.

Sent from my MY SAGA C2 using Ford OC mobile app

both of those ask £2990.

I understand that the 120k is much better the 191k, but what im worried about is that the 12k was a taxi and that all undercarriage (suspension, bearings) nand stuf like that needs to be replaiced

Hi guys.

Found on ebay mondeo estate, the guy states that it had turbo, flywheel, clutch, cambelt change not recently, but the mileage is quite high 191k.

The car is 2L tdci zetec 58plate.

Is that amount of mileage for mondeo deadly?

You think is it worth to have a look?

Not necessarily deadly, but really, everything else has to stack up to take the risk.

Is the service history complete and in order? Where the turbo, flywheel, clutch, cambelt changes done? (Ford, ok, anywhere else you trust, ok (and that's going to be difficult if there is a distance between you and the car), anywhere that sounds like a bodger, not ok).

Do things like the tyres seem to have been replaced with at least ok tyres (no Chinese brands that you've never heard of) - if there is evidence here of 'save money at any cost'-style maintenance, then you'd have to worry where else money has been saved.

Clutch/flywheel (dmf) are reckoned to last 80k-plus; presumably with whenever they were changed, you are not due for another change for a while? Same cambelt and 125 k.

Injectors, fuel pump haven't been done - does your budget allow at least one of those to fail without causing you real pain?

That car has been a bit 'unlucky' recently; are you prepared to gamble on that bad luck having gone away?

Thanks BOF for such detailed info.

I emailed him for more info, but already i don't think that I will gamble with this car, especially knowing my luck.

I know that feeling!

I would definately say go with the lower miler if there is enough paperwork. I bought mine from an independent trader, it had service history (checked the MOT's and the repairs) and it had a few bits of work done, most notably the clutch and flywheel at 60k, as I plan on driving this car for sometime and like a granny to get the most out of the tank, I am keeping a careful eye on the turbo, but as it wont be doing a lot of work, I am less worried about it.

for me it was a good car, at a good price and with a good deal, but I do now have a couple of niggles that the trader wont cover under warranty (intermittent airbag light - fingers crossed its just a loose connection or bad sensor), and aircon doesnt appear to be working (by all accounts a common problem I have read over the world of google). So I would say if you are going to buy it from a trader, get in writing the full warranty cover offered at the time of purchase, as like I am now, you might struggle to get any payout in the event that an issue arises, and all of a sudden "the warranty is only basic engine and gearbox".

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club