Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Airbag Light

jeebowhite

Hi Guys,

Having had the car for about 6 weeks now, I am still really enjoying it, but there is a ghost that keeps coming back!

The Airbag light keeps coming on, I havent yet plugged the car into my laptop to get the error codes (I did a few weeks ago and removed the code to make sure that it wasnt an old and never to be seen). it seems to be if the car gets a bit of a shock, the light comes on. for example, I hit a bump about 3 weeks ago, the light came on, it then went off after the second start of the engine following.

Then yesterday, I was driving down an A road, 18 wheeler heading straight at me, and I had to move over and clunked the curb. The light came on again and stayed on until last night, it went off again.

This morning, the engine had a bit of a funny moment trying to start, coughed up, then back to starter then back to life. This is likely the glow plugs that I will eventually get around to looking at, but in the shaking of the car starting the light came on.

I have read a few things about sensors, and believe there is one under the seat. I am also contemplating if the issue may relate to either the driver knee bag (I have some cables running across the top / under the steering wheel up the pillar and to the mirror) or possibly the passenger B pillar (I have parking sensor wires running from the glove box under the B pillar and out to the boot).

As the airbag light is not flashing, I presume this means that the error is not related to a particular failed airbag, but seems to be either a sensor, or a loose connection.

Would anyone concur with this? I think I might have to dig out the radio code tonight, then do a battery disconnect and check the driver seat connection by undoing and redoing it up.

Any other thoughts? I will share the error code as soon as I can find it! shame that Torque can't pick it up though, I have to use the modified cable and FORSCAN through the laptop, meaning its a little less convenient to get it done as I am out and about.

Having checked this morning by turning ignition off, on, and leaving the airbag light to go out (then most often coming back on again after 5 - 7 seconds), I have just gone out to repeat this test. Having sat in the sun all day, the light is now out again and behaving itself.... for now....

common cause is the seat pressure sensors...particularly if the seat gets moved..normally unplugging the connector and replugging under the seat is enough to sort it out

Cheers Tony, Now I just have to find that particular sensor and wire, there seems to be a module at the front of the seat (front right) thinking that might be the control / motor for the electric seat, there also appears to be a set of wires in the middle closest to the centre console with a wire, I presume this is more likely the culprit?

not sure, but the pressure sensor is fitted to the seat base, so check for wire that exits the base under the seat and follow it to the connector...just make sure key is out of ignition while playing around with the wire..no need to disconnect battery for the task though

Will have a look, but if I disconnect the wire, I need to disconnect the battery?

I use to have this problem on one my mk2 Ghia X's everytime my borrowed it she had to move the seat ( 8 way electric) which caused the light to come on ? Local garage said it was elect glitch??

Sent from my HTC One X using Ford OC mobile app

i'll put it this way

disconnecting the battery and leaving for 5/10 mins before working on anything that maybe involved or close to, the air bag system is a foolproof and safe way to operate..

from experience, i've performed this particular operation many times on many different makes without disconnecting the battery, safe in the knowledge it wont trigger air bags.

this sensor wire will not trigger airbags, even if ignition is on, as its only purpose is to inform air bag ecu if there is an occupent on the offending seat, its not linked directly to any pyrotechnics of the system...BUT..

i would never perform this task with ignition on/engine running and would never actually reccommend verbally or written, anyone to perform it with battery connected...just suggesting that its unecessary for this particular task

in your case, i would disconnect battery purely on the basis your not sure which is the relevent connector, (as i would under the circumstances) so therefore may interfere with connections that are linked to the pyrotechnics,

Cheers guys, I might well get around to doing this later in the end of the month. I'm on track for a 900 mile tank according to the computer (more like 800) and I can't be letting the airbag light spoil that for me :lol:

Sent from my MY SAGA C2 using Ford OC mobile app

800/ 900 miles per tank!!!, I wish !! Is that mainly motorway ??

Yeah 30 miles each way, 60mph for 18 miles then 12 on country roads, today I did short runs it's now only estimating 750 :-P

I'd love that economy but I can't have a diesel as I only do 6-7k ayear and only work 4 miles from home so it wouldnt be even warm when I got there.

Trust me, I want the economy without having to drive like a granny... Lol

I don't have problems with power , wish I had abit more as I went from mk3 2.5V6 to mk 2.0 which is great but I prefer more. :-D

Lol I think that's a good compromise on power and economy to be fair lol

Managed to get the car plugged in at lunch, FORScan (you so have to be careful how you say that dont you!) reported the following error: Having checked this against the last lot of error codes I cleared, it appears that this is the same issue!

===DTC B1128:13-08===
Code: B1128 - Drivers Side-Side Inflatable Curtain Deployment Control

Additional Fault Symptom:
- Circuit Open

- DTC Maturing - Intermittent at Time of Request
- Malfunction Indicator Lamp is Off for this DTC

Module: Restraint Control Module===END DTC B1128:13-08===

So it sounds like I need to disconnect the battery, strip down the B pillar and check the connection? unless anyone has any other idea's as to what specifically this may be? it seems to be the deployment control (perhaps the pyrotechnics behind it?)

• 2 weeks later...

Well I pulled out a 713 mile tank, with a further estimated 25 miles, but I thought I should play it safe! 63.3 MPG over the tank, pretty impressive in my opinion, but that is by and by!

I left it alone and it hasnt had any issues since, so i will kist keep an eye on it for now and see how it behaves over the next tank.

That is impressive, went to visit a relation in Stone, Staffordshire at weekend was getin 39.7mpg at 70mph from Manchester with active cruise control on .

granny driving with cruise on the motorway at 60, and cruise on the country roads to the office. I would say I used it for about 70% of the tank at least.

Now I just have to wait and see if the airbag light plays nicely.

It's definitely more ecomonial with cruise control on and I use it regularly it's zip'd abit quicker here and there but to be honest I've never ragged any of my cars I clean , valet service. the hell out of them , infact my last 2 cars are still in our family and are owned by 2 of my brother in law's and my other brother in laws are calling dibbs on my current Titanium X ?,

• 2 weeks later...

Well the airbag has been playing rather well, up until a few days ago. Then it came back on as I left work, got towards home, restarted it about a mile from home - no light! drove home, parked up - no light. The next morning, started up and it greets me again, and stays that way for two days. Yesterday it was misbehaving again, light on, then in the afternoon it decided it was going to play nicely. This morning, its back to happy as larry and no light.

Now, Thinking about it, I am wondering if it is a wiring issue! I say that because I have seen a similar issue like this on my CMAX, and this almost (in a twisted way ties in). For example, every day the airbag light came on, it was quite warm outside (exceeding 25 degrees) and seemingly when its not on, its less than that. I had the same issue with the CMAX, on hot days, the ABS light would come and play, then when it cooled down it lazed around in bed... that was a faulty short loom, I suspect the heat caused it to exapnd and cause a break in the connection, where I think the same may be happening here. A loom or wire is possibly heating up inside the car, expanding and possible causing the same scenario...

I will have to wait and see. I will need to disconnect the battery and have a play with the connections under the seat (perhaps I will do this as I complete the EGR blank) and see what that does to help or hinder the situation. Knowing my luck, I will unplug it and when I reconnect the battery, either all the airbags will explode, or the airbag light will come and be my friend for life!

So I wonder if the heat is

Now, Thinking about it, I am wondering if it is a wiring issue!

I'd say it is about fifty fifty, or maybe slightly more, in favour of it being wiring/bad connector type of issue. No guarantees, obviously, but connector wiggling sounds as if it is on the menu! And looking for wiring damage, of course.

The symptoms just sound typical of an intermittent contact, which could be internal to a module or external.

Good luck.

Cheers Bof, I will definately need to have a look at this, I am off work next week so I expect this will be the perfect opportunity to disconnect the wiring under my seat and see if I can make it beter!

• 2 weeks later...

The lights become more of a regular fixture, I have disconnected the battery for a half hour, pushed all the plugs underneath the driver seat in and its still there. I also pulled and replugged the cable behind the drivers B pillar and that doesnt seem to have helped...

begger!

I had the same problem on my work car peugeot 308 and it ended up being the wire in loom under front seat yes it a different manufacturer but the way you described it is the same May be worth seeing if you could get it of scrap for cheap to try

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club