Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Alternator problem

philip1976

Like the title says i was getting the lights on the dash and was told i need a new alternator,so first i tried a second hand ones but was still getting the lights on and car just running off battery,so decided to have my original one reconditioned but i am still getting the lights on the dash !! took the alternator back to where it was reconditioned the guy checked it on his machine and said its working fine and there must be a problem on my vehicle

Anyone know what it could be??

Like the title says i was getting the lights on the dash and was told i need a new alternator,so first i tried a second hand ones but was still getting the lights on and car just running off battery,so decided to have my original one reconditioned but i am still getting the lights on the dash !! took the alternator back to where it was reconditioned the guy checked it on his machine and said its working fine and there must be a problem on my vehicle

Anyone know what it could be??

Check the tension on the drive belt, if not tensioned correctly then this can cause problems, check the alternator cable connections and wiring from the alternator.

You can also check the voltage at the battery while the engine is running, the alternator should maintain the voltage at around 14 volts even with everything turned on but no more then 14 volts.

Am only getting 12 volts not 14

it sounds like you have a wiring fault and the alternator voltage is not getting to the battery, try cleaning the earth wiring connection points.

have you tried checking the voltage at the alternator when the engine is running? sounds to me like it could be a wiring fault

It must be a wiring fault,booked in to have an auto electrician have a look tomorrow

Am only getting 12 volts not 14

12 volts is fine and it's not above 14 so all is good there.

As the others have said it sounds like wiring, could be faulty or dirty contacts within the charge light connector block. But the Auto Electrician should find it out.