Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Just Passed My Test

pandyballs

Hi everyone, I've been lurking on here for a while and have finally passed my test yesterday and today I ordered a Spirit Blue ST-2 and was just posting to say hi and stuff, how long do they usually take from being ordered to being built and delivered? Also, in regards to running in, what's the story with that? I know there's a lot of different opinions but is there any official word from ford? Thanks a lot, I hope to be on here a fair bit in the future

Spirit Blue ST-2

Your first car is an ST? Kudos lol

Running in just means going easy for about 500 miles, not killing it when it's cold and never taking it over I think 5K RPM.

They should have given you an estimate when it's built? It should be between 12-18 weeks depending on how lucky you are.

Yeah I was pretty lucky, I learned in a titanium and was originally going for a Twingo RS but for £70 per month more I got an ST, pretty chuffed with that tbh! Insurance is surprisingly cheap on it for a 19 year old driver who has had a license for 23 hours! Only £1944. Running it in for 500 miles will be good, it'll let me get used to the power and FWD! The only other car I've driven substantially is my brothers TTS but that's a dual-clutch so it's a completely different car! I'm excited to get it, I have an email from I ordered it from and she's saying 6 weeks lead time but it can be less sometimes. Is that too optimistic? I ordered directly through ford so there's no dealer involved, I dunno if that can speed the process up?

Spirit Blue ST-2

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF at £1944 for insurance, I sure did pass in a golden age ( 2003 ) Even my 2nd car a Rover 220 Turbo was 200BHP out of the factory was only £71 a month lol

But again this shows the stats were in your favor, not first time drivers in the ST gives them no figures to screw you over on compared to the accident stats of a 19 year old in a 1.2 Corsa SXI.

Allow the Twingo RS, load of cack, plus I think you have to pay extra for a Rev counter on them, decent seats though but still a woeful car.

6 weeks is pretty damn good for any factory order.

Any extra goodies on it?

Yeah insurance is horrible, it's only Diamond and elephant that are around £2000 on compare the market it jumps from £2000 to £7500 per year! I have no idea why elephant are so cheap but I'm not gonna complain! A Twingo was £3400 for the year so I'd rather just have the ST, it's better in every way!

I dunno how I'm gonna control the ST to be honest! The 125PS I learned in felt scary to me haha I'll just need to be careful I suppose.

Nah unfortunately no extras at all, not even the Style Pack which is good and bad, I prefer the silver wheels but I'd like the red calipers! Guess I'll just need to do it myself then!

Spirit Blue ST-2

Yeah I was pretty lucky, I learned in a titanium and was originally going for a Twingo RS but for £70 per month more I got an ST, pretty chuffed with that tbh! Insurance is surprisingly cheap on it for a 19 year old driver who has had a license for 23 hours! Only £1944. Running it in for 500 miles will be good, it'll let me get used to the power and FWD! The only other car I've driven substantially is my brothers TTS but that's a dual-clutch so it's a completely different car! I'm excited to get it, I have an email from I ordered it from and she's saying 6 weeks lead time but it can be less sometimes. Is that too optimistic? I ordered directly through ford so there's no dealer involved, I dunno if that can speed the process up?

Spirit Blue ST-2

£1944 ??? what insurance company pal? i have 2 cars a 1.8 cmax an i.8 passat and im 29 and pay £3000 on the passat had license 2 n half years never had a crash so how do you get an ST for under 2000? and a license for 23 hours.

• Like 1

I'm with elephant, I typed my details into compare the market and it gave me that, I have no idea why you're so expensive! My brother has a TTS and he's 26 and had a license for 5 years and his insurance is only £1200. I don't know how the insurance works but it sounds like you're getting scammed! I'd just try the comparison sites and see what they say mate

Spirit Blue ST-2

Yeah insurance is horrible, it's only Diamond and elephant that are around £2000 on compare the market it jumps from £2000 to £7500 per year! I have no idea why elephant are so cheap but I'm not gonna complain! A Twingo was £3400 for the year so I'd rather just have the ST, it's better in every way!

I dunno how I'm gonna control the ST to be honest! The 125PS I learned in felt scary to me haha I'll just need to be careful I suppose.

Nah unfortunately no extras at all, not even the Style Pack which is good and bad, I prefer the silver wheels but I'd like the red calipers! Guess I'll just need to do it myself then!

Spirit Blue ST-2

Well the car has much better brakes, significantly better brakes, a less bouncy suspension too, so it's a bit safer when you decide to go nuts ( on the drive home of course )

Just got to be careful dude, you don't want to get 6 points and still be paying for a car for years on end and not be able to drive it, even 3 points at your age can be financially crippling.

Insurance also varies a lot depending on where you live, I moved house 7 years ago from the TW to SL postcode and it doubled, despite being only 7 miles away and infact being a little hamlet with no council housing ( not to cause offence but it's that small, it's one road long )

Still well done indeed, Any plans for a HUGE turbo, lower cams and longer rods yet? Someone needs to do it before I do so I can see the results.

You are 19, just passed your test and you are getting a new ST??

Words fail me to be honest! Firstly I am amazed you found insurance and secondly at only £2000. I would love to know the name of the company to make sure it's not one of these scam companies that target young drivers.

Anyway, whatever my thoughts good luck to you. But may I suggest you take some professional performance driving lessons? I am worried that your car may exceed your experience. :)

Lucky son of a gun :lol:

First car for me when I was 19 was a 1.2 53 plate Clio, cost £2,600 on insurance! Current 58 plate Zetec S, £1,500 for the year.

I can get insurance for ST now for just over a grand. (21 now) Not that I've been doing research and am servilely tempted to swap no not at all :rolleyes:

ST as a first car wow. Just take it steady buddy. Have you not driven one? If not you are in for a surprise when you press the loud pedal haha. Hope you don't lose your licence on the way home

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

Welcome! ST as a first car? Lucky you!

Words fail me to be honest! Firstly I am amazed you found insurance and secondly at only £2000. I would love to know the name of the company to make sure it's not one of these scam companies that target young drivers.

Anyway, whatever my thoughts good luck to you. But may I suggest you take some professional performance driving lessons? I am worried that your car may exceed your experience. :)

Yeah I'm pretty lucky to get such a good first car!

Spirit Blue ST-2

I'm with elephant! Elephant, Admiral, Bell and Diamond are all one company and they do really good deals for younger people! If you're under 23 try them and they'll probably surprise you

Spirit Blue ST-2

Welcome! ST as a first car? Lucky you!

Thanks man! Aye I am pretty lucky! Hope I don't right it off

Spirit Blue ST-2

My 1st car was a 1.2 fiat pinto on a w ref and I was over 3 grand for it

Well done for passing your test and getting a car like that! I contemplated getting an ST for my first car, but at 18 182ps is a bit much in my opinion and that is why I got a Zetec S which has plentiful enough power, so an ST must go like stink. I will probably look at getting an ST next year once I have a years no-claims and the driving experience though. Insurance on the Zetec S was only £900 with Admiral which I am really happy with, so £2000 for an ST is very good at your age and in the current climate. Enjoy the car!

Lot of power for a New driver take it easy with it when you get her buddy. But yeah everyone says your lucky it may be luck or is it mum or dad to thank? (Just saying) lol ;)

I'm 4 and a half years driving and my ST2 is my 4th car. I'm 23 this year and my insurance is £600 for a year :P

When I got my 1st car it was £1700 my first year. So not bad on insurance it's surprising for a first time pass and good insurance good for you mate :) welcome to the ST family :)

Marc :)

Sent from my LG-D802 using Ford OC mobile app

Welcome to the blue ST club :). It's unbelievable that you're getting at ST as your first car, and I mean that in a good way. As others have said just take it easy. I've been driving about 8 or 9 years and having not driven anything this powerful on public roads I can see how dangerous the temptation to floor it is, especially on country roads. That includes taking corners too fast, even if the car can take a corner at 60 doesn't mean there's not an obstacle just round the corner, or someone coming the other way in the middle of the road.

As for running in, there's a lot of different advice out there. In the manual it says things like don't drive too fast for the first 1,000 miles, don't labour the engine and vary the speed often, avoid heavy use of the clutch early on etc. I've also been trying to follow this guide from AA: http://www.theaa.ie/AA/AA-Membership/Members-Advice/Running-in-a-new-car.aspx

And based on advice from some people on here, I'm going to have an oil change and new oil filter at about 1000 miles.

Well done indeed...think one of the few benefits of getting older is cheaper car insurance! I put my details in for an ST out of interest (30 something, 10 years no claims, no accidents) and esure was cheapest at £161 for the year...that was fully comp with protected no claims!!

blimey. maybe I have to get one after all! :)

Insurance will probably rise on them as the sales pick up, I've only seen 2 being broken so far and they were smashed to bits, not cat C or D's so far.

Saw a Clio 200T on the way to work this morning, had the windows down and he had the Clio V6 sound effect playing on it, was thinking if that was cool or just plain sad it's on extreme or the other.

Glad I didn't get one, insurance on them is mental, look a bit pony too, although noticeably faster.

Jeesus H Christ that's a lot on insurance OP!

Nice one for your first car though, not what I'd recommend but well done all the same, and well done on passing the test.

I did mine back in '88 lol. Insurance on the Fez is £170 with the missus. It's only £160 on the RC8 :)

Advantage of being 40 ;)

To be honest, I probably should have bought a ZS if I was being responsible but I got excited and wanted the Recaro Seats so I ordered the ST, chances are I will crash this car but I hope I don't, it would be a shame

Spirit Blue ST-2

Jeesus H Christ that's a lot on insurance OP!

Nice one for your first car though, not what I'd recommend but well done all the same, and well done on passing the test.

I did mine back in '88 lol. Insurance on the Fez is £170 with the missus. It's only £160 on the RC8 :)

Advantage of being 40 ;)

Just curious, what would you recommend?

Spirit Blue ST-2

For me, I think something from the next rung down (for a year or so maybe anyway) would be prudent.....you will think you are a better driver than you are, but without some experience you just won't be.

but then again hey, who I am to talk I was driving a used R5 GT Turbo 6 months after passing my test! - showing my age here hehe.

Although the moral of the story for you may well be that I wrote it off in a high speed crash six months later, in a manner that was 100% my fault and 100% down to my inexperience. I can remember it crystal clear even today. And the ST is substantially more powerful, and too easy to drive fast, especially for a new driver. I actually posted here after my test drive in one that I would be scared for new drivers in a car like that!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club