Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Instrument Cluster Backlight Stays On

madboymatt

Hey guys. I have a 2010 SEL V6.

So tonight I noticed that after I've turned the car off, removed the key, and locked the car, the instrument cluster backlight remains lit. Just the blue light stays on. I have read through the manual looking to see if I caused this to stay on with a setting or if I pressed something by accident.

The only thing I can think of is that earlier today, I went to get something out of my car, and rather than using the key to unlock it, I used the keyless door code, and I had to try a few times becuase the code wasnt being recognized. So maybe I pressed a series of number that casued the light to stay on??? Super weird.

Upon further investigation, I pulled fuse #26 for the "instrument cluster battery power" and the light went off. Swapped it for a spare fuse to be safe and the light came back on. So something is feeding that fuse power regardless. Or There is a short in the panel. I noticed that once of the LEDs is out. It won't light up while the rest of the board is lit. Also, while the car is on, I can't dim the backlight at all. The other dash and radio lights will dim, but not the backlight.

Not sure where to go from here, and was hoping someone had an idea of what is keeping it on.

Thanks very much.

The common one with this, is the barrel / ignition switch might still be stuck open, which causes the car to leave the lights on thinking that they key is in on I if not II.

The common one with this, is the barrel / ignition switch might still be stuck open, which causes the car to leave the lights on thinking that they key is in on I if not II.

If that is the case, what would be a good way to fix it?

The reason I don't think its related to the ignition switch is because all the other lights go out.

I think the best way is to look to replace it, its either the sensor around the ignition, or the coil itself (I Cant remember, I rembember vaguely skating over the topic with my CMAX but didnt really care enough to fix it as it was overall fine). The rest of the electrics are controlled by the GEM board, so when the car is locked they are all disabled, but the instrument cluster is its own entity, which is why its behaving differently.

Update: it went back to normal today. I noticed that one of the LEDs flickered and went out. So I think there is a short or a bad connection on the circuit board.

its something that you could remove the cluster and just check the security of the connections. Alternatively you could get the cluster refurb'd if it becomes too much of an issue for anywhere from £60+ depending who you go with.

So I could pick one up at a junk yard or online, then just have the dealership calibrate the mileage etc?

Not even that, you can send your for repair and if they find no fault you can get away with a 30 quid fee but if they can they resolder and repair yours.

You can pick one up at a scrappy but it needs mileage and pats coding

Sent from my MY SAGA C2 using Ford OC mobile app

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club