Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Music Via Bluetooth From Iphone -No Track Info

quaffa

Well, I'm still hopeful that they will provide me with the upgrade, (not necessarily 'give' it to me; I am prepared to pay a reasonable amount for the service), but if it turns out that they are unwilling to do so I will certainly not be giving up.

Since the US get these updates free I think it would be a huge mistake on Ford's part to try charging. And if they come the old "we have to charge for our time to do it" routine then I'd be tempted to say let me download it myself and I'll do it myself just like the US can. They can't think we're all so dim we don't know what's available elsewhere. They not heard of the internet?

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

Is it possible to download the US versions and install them on our cars?

It might be... but it could be risky. Do we know for sure that their hardware is identical to ours? It could be like trying to install Mac OS X on a PC...

And are the US DAB radio frequencies and system protocols the same as here?

I wouldn't try it until I'd heard verification from someone else that it had worked.

In fact I don't think they have DAB in the US although I think it is in Canada. The US use IBOC HD Radio instead. So I guess that makes it even less likely the software update would work.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, update time.

I took my car into the local dealers yesterday, as directed by Ford, for the firmware update to be applied. I was impressed when I first arrived, because the bloke behind the desk seemed to know what I meant. "It will only be a matter of inserting a USB stick."

However, after I'd been waiting about an hour he returned with a completely different attitude. "There's no fault. What exactly is the problem?" I explained that I'd never said there was a fault, and that all was working as per the manual. I explained again what I wanted doing and produced print-outs of Ian's display versus my display. "Oh, I see. Well, if it's not a fault it will be a chargeable item you know. And we will have to contact Ford for advice on whether the set in your car is capable of taking the upgraded firmware." I pointed out that it was Ford who had directed me to them in the first place...

I asked why they couldn't have contacted Ford in the time between me making the appointment and the date of the appointment, and he blamed a call-centre call-taker. "We use a call centre in Nottingham, and they can't be expected to know what you're talking about when you ring up." [Err... well shouldn't you employ more people at the dealership who DO know what they're talking about then?]

He went off and made photocopies of the print-outs I'd taken in, but nothing could be done on the day. He told me that he'd never heard of anyone wanting a software update applied to anything in their cars, while apparently accepting that software updates are applied to virtually every other digital device these days. "You're way ahead of the game here, you know!" I've never been described as that in my life, and I'm afraid the bullshit filter kicked in at that point, because he was talking pure waffle.

So you were quite right Matt in assuming they wouldn't be able to help at Ford. Any luck with Sony?

I am now awaiting a call back from the dealer, but i"m not holding my breath. It will be letter-writing time shortly, methinks.

Personally I'd have taken in printouts of the Ford US site too where it says about setting up a MySync account and downloading and installing your own software update. Then, when he started the crap about "never heard of anyone doing this before" you could have said "strange, because Ford US have been doing it for years. For FREE, so don't give me the chargeable crap either"

I know we're lagging behind the US in this but really? Are we so far behind that Ford UK techs haven't a clue about what's going on? I'll be interested to know if anyone, anywhere (outside the US) has had any joy with updating the thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi and greetings from Norway, i am currently dealing with exact same situation with my local ford dealer. I had my 2013 Fiesta ST in for a software update today after talking to them about a possible new firmware.

The service lady actually checked up with ford and found out that it is an update availiable. The version on my car is the same as mentioned in this thread.

CCPU:
EC216H45.8
.10349_sp0
.0_Product
And not the version i was hoping to get:
CCPU:
ED354aZ5.8
.13345_sp0
.0_Product
The version i got is not showing track info over bluetooth. After all when i got my car back i was told "we upgraded the firmware" but the car still has exact same firmware as before.
I sent a message to them on their website and complained. I am wondering if they know how to do this at all. If we just could get the files we need so we can do it ourselves.
We still do believe that this is a software issue ? Cant believe they have changed the unit. I also know that an older focus with what seems like the same unit displays track info.
Best regards
Marius

There is a brief comment about SYNC upgrades at the bottom if this page:

http://www.ford.co.uk/experience-ford/Technology/FordSYNC

Ahh... Something official at last from Ford UK about updates. (It may have been there all along, but I didn't spot it if it was.)

I think I'll be toddling back to my dealer with the URL, because he wasn't aware of updates at all when I went.

There is a brief comment about SYNC upgrades at the bottom if this page:

http://www.ford.co.uk/experience-ford/Technology/FordSYNC

Do you mean this?

post-5052-140329014082_thumb.jpg

If so that's been on the Web site for over a year :(

You can get your sync updated if you have a fault but there is usually a 1 hour labour charge.

Do you mean this?

You can get your sync updated if you have a fault but there is usually a 1 hour labour charge.

Yes, that was it but sadly not the sort of news I then wanted to hear. :(

Which really goes against the spirit of that same webpage. If they're saying (albeit since forever now admittedly) we'd be able to do it ourselves, then the underlying reasonable deduction is they'd do it for free if asked to do it. I think they honestly don't know what a SYNC update is and think people are talking about general car updates. When I was buying my car I asked about AppLink coming to the UK and the salesman looked at me like I'd sprouted three heads and started talking Martian to him. Hadn't a clue what I was on about.

I just put in another thread on this topic that it turns out I do indeed have AppLink. Go figure. Apparently an iPhone needs a cable connection but Android can do it over bluetooth. From what I can tell the 2014 head-units haven't changed from 2013 so I can't see why they won't, or can't, do it.

• Like 1

It's amazing how everyone seems to be so worried about updates and yet there are only 7 replies to the topic I created <_<

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/58216-forget-sync-applink/

I have posted two screenshots from Ford's website claiming that your cars, as well as mine, won't be getting the upgrade we were all waiting for (and were told we would get, by the way). A year after all the talk about the AppLink coming to 2013 cars they end up saying that it will only be available to newer models because there has been some sort of "hardware enhancement". Anyway, from what I have come to realize, the updates made to some of your cars are probably mainly bugfixes and minor updates, nothing much that would be noticeable, let alone the bluetooth audio info or say, the AppLink upgrade.

I think we should at least show Ford that we are aware they are providing us a bad customer service and maybe issue complaints about the lack of support and false information.

I'd guess that many owners simply don't care. I'm a gadget fan so I'd love to see updates but I bet the majority of owners aren't aware of the issue and probably wouldn't worry about it anyway since the system works as far as they are concerned.

I'm sad that Ford UK seem to be reneging on the update statement but maybe there are hardware issues (the bluetooth chips in the stereo units might be the issue) and I'd like to see an upgrade path. For what it's worth I will be writing to Ford UK but I'm not holding my breath about getting a reply, let alone any good news.

I bet the whole in-car entertainment and connectivity field sees lot of changes over the next few years. Apple recently got more involved with CarPlay too so I even wonder if customers will be able to pick their preferred in-car system when they buy a new car in a few years.

• Like 1

The thing that peevs me is that sync refuses to play my music in track order :( I don't want my music in &#33;Removed&#33; alphabetical order ford !!!!!!!

I'd guess that many owners simply don't care. I'm a gadget fan so I'd love to see updates but I bet the majority of owners aren't aware of the issue and probably wouldn't worry about it anyway since the system works as far as they are concerned.

I'm sad that Ford UK seem to be reneging on the update statement but maybe there are hardware issues (the bluetooth chips in the stereo units might be the issue) and I'd like to see an upgrade path. For what it's worth I will be writing to Ford UK but I'm not holding my breath about getting a reply, let alone any good news.

I bet the whole in-car entertainment and connectivity field sees lot of changes over the next few years. Apple recently got more involved with CarPlay too so I even wonder if customers will be able to pick their preferred in-car system when they buy a new car in a few years.

I agree entirely on that! And know that it's not only Ford UK that is having this issue, since I am not from the UK and Ford here are the same, including the AppLink situation. It's sad though to know that even writing to them may prove worthless. The bluetooth chip you mentioned may be true, even so, if it were due to that it would only require a simple hardware upgrade to fix the issue...

I agree entirely on that! And know that it's not only Ford UK that is having this issue, since I am not from the UK and Ford here are the same, including the AppLink situation. It's sad though to know that even writing to them may prove worthless. The bluetooth chip you mentioned may be true, even so, if it were due to that it would only require a simple hardware upgrade to fix the issue...

My comment about the bluetooth chip is pure speculation but it if it that then the chips might be soldered onto a motherboard in the radio units and therefore not easily replaceable. However, again, it is all speculation and it might just be Ford being useless and/or not trusting their customers not to brick their stereos with software updates.

My comment about the bluetooth chip is pure speculation but it if it that then the chips might be soldered onto a motherboard in the radio units and therefore not easily replaceable. However, again, it is all speculation and it might just be Ford being useless and/or not trusting their customers not to brick their stereos with software updates.

Exactly, that would be prohibitive, even so, check this article by Engadget:

http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/03/ford-to-offer-free-sync-applink-update/

It basically says that Ford vehicles in the USA as old as 2010 will (probably already did) get the AppLink update. I can't understand what 2010 North American units have that 2013/early2014 european units don't. With the launch of Ford Sync in europe it was advertised as a great new thing, and after that it was easily forgotten by the dealers, to the point that they know even less than us.

It'll only get more confusing when the new 2014 Focus launches with SYNC 2: http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/127477-ford-focus-2014-first-to-hit-europe-with-sync-2-voice-activated-in-car-tech

And, no, I don't understand why Ford US customers get the upgrades and we don't. Maybe I was too kind and it really is just Ford UK being miserable.

Well hopefully in two or three years it will all settle down, companies will standardise their systems more and realise that firmware upgrades are a necessary service they need to provide.

However, the connectivity options in my Fiesta, however flawed, beat the aux socket in the glove box that my Mondeo and Focus before that had. :-)

Well hopefully in two or three years it will all settle down, companies will standardise their systems more and realise that firmware upgrades are a necessary service they need to provide.

However, the connectivity options in my Fiesta, however flawed, beat the aux socket in the glove box that my Mondeo and Focus before that had. :-)

:D just like earlier smartphones beat my old Nokia 3310, yet my first smartphone never got any firmware updates, so I guess for Sync we're still in that transition phase.

I have a friend with an older version of SYNC. Its a fiesta 2009. Here car displays track info over bluetooth just fine. I think its weird that Ford released software to my 2013 focus ST without this capability out of the box.

I have been in contact with my ford dealer again and they still tell me that there is an update availiable for my car. Just that the technician did not actually do anything last time i had my car in.

They want my car in again this week. I hope i get a new version of software this time.

Fingers crossed!

I have a friend with an older version of SYNC. Its a fiesta 2009. Here car displays track info over bluetooth just fine. I think its weird that Ford released software to my 2013 focus ST without this capability out of the box.

I have been in contact with my ford dealer again and they still tell me that there is an update availiable for my car. Just that the technician did not actually do anything last time i had my car in.

They want my car in again this week. I hope i get a new version of software this time.

Fingers crossed!

If at all possible, could you please post the software/firmware version number details for your friend's 2009 SYNC installation? And also the version they update yours to -assuming that it is a success. Ta.