Do Not Sell My Personal Information

strange engine noise...whoosh from engine when accelerating

simba

Hi guys,

Yesterday i noticed a very strange noise coming from under the bonnet whilst driving.

It happens only when accelerating slightly hard.

Heres the issue:

the engine makes a 'whoooooshing' sound when accelerating slightly hard, normal acceleration is fine - it sounds like a burst of wind noise which is what i thought it was, but its definately not that as iv tested it many times now. What on earth is it? A turbo leak?

This morning about a minute after setting off to begin my 40mile journey to work it happened but the engine malfunction light also came on - so i thought poo!....pulled over, stopped engine waited a bit then started up again and fine - but the same noise still as i had to check.

Iv never had any warning lights come on to indicate anything needs topped up etc and oil is fine as it was topped up 2 weeks ago.

mpg was also 47mpg instead of around 54 which is the norm for me....

advice?

thanks,

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Yesterday i noticed a very strange noise coming from under the bonnet whilst driving.

Heres the issue:

the engine makes a 'whoooooshing' sound when accelerating slightly hard, normal acceleration is fine - it sounds like a burst of wind noise which is what i thought it was, but its definately not that as iv tested it many times now. What on earth is it? A turbo leak?

This morning about a minute after setting off to begin my 40mile journey to work it happened but the engine malfunction light also came on - so i thought poo!....pulled over, stopped engine waited a bit then started up again and fine - but the same noise still as i had to check.

Iv never had any warning lights come on to indicate anything needs topped up etc and Oil is fine as it was topped up 2 weeks ago.

advice?

thanks,

sounds like you're turbo is going, the vans at work do the same, check the smoke coming outta your exhaust, if its a lot blacker than normal its definately your turbo

Hi guys,

Heres the issue:

Iv never had any warning lights come on to indicate anything needs topped up etc and Oil is fine as it was topped up 2 weeks ago.

advice?

thanks,

sounds like theres a whole in the intercooler, or maybe if your lucky, just a pipe to the intercooler. if it is the intercooler, whats more of a concern is what caused it to blow a hole in it? when mine went, it was because it was filling with oil which was leaking from the turbo which was worn out. so you could end up needing a new intercooler and a new turbo.

i was advised that i could leave the turbo as it would last another few thousand miles, but if yours turns out to be the same problem, id advise you to change it straight away. after about 200 miles the turbo blow in spectacular fashion, it dumps the entire contents of the old straight into the engine via the intercooler. so the engine runs on this oil with the rev counter on the redline, with absolutley no way of stopping it,bellowing a massive black cloud of smoke. eventually the engine stopped dead and your left wondering if the engines just ceased up. it hadnt, but it was scariest thing thats happened to me in my 15 years of driving!!!

but thats a worst case scenario!!, it could just be a split hose or something

hope this helps, and i havent just scared you to death

hope this helps, and i havent just scared you to death

this made me giggle lol

• 3 years later...

I have the same issue with mine. I'm running a Focus 1.8tdci climate (07 plate, 62k) and get the whooshing noise at 1800rpm when I accelerate quickly, the noise stops once I settle out at speed and I have no loss in power (but I think my fuel consumptions down a little). I've checked all the hoses but found nothing untoward, also the noise isn't very loud but as I've heard it once I hear it everytime now.

I have no warning lights up and have tried the turbo cleaner recommended by the garage to see if that would clean out any blocked vanes.

Any suggestions where to look next without having to spend a fortune in the garage?

All help is hugely appreciated :)

could be a simple split in the air hose, 90% of the time this is what it is, if your turbo is behaving

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi all, i have encountered this issue twice in 4 months. First time it was a split pipe at the top 90deg bend. Replaced bend all good. This time th engine management light came on and stayed on. I took the wee sensor out of the steel pipe and double checked the recently replaced all was fine with it. Now the engine management light has gone out but the issue remains. The car still wants too boost every now and again. Any suggestions would b a gr8 help.

Mike

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Ford OC mobile app

Have you got any error codes by any chance?

have you checked the intercooler pipe for any splits or cracks?

Hi guys yeah i found the culprit. Another split pipe on the underside, a right bummer to get too like. Still an excuse to spend time with the car at the weekend lol. Cheers for your help again.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Ford OC mobile app

• 3 weeks later...

Did you resolve it?

• 2 years later...

i had the same thing check out this for splits/cracks etc it dont need much of a split to make a whistle sound when the boost starts to pick up

Photo144.jpg

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi i have a 2.5 v6 mondeo 03 reg and its started making a woop woop noise when i rev the engine sounds like its coming from were the air filter connects to the engine 

Probably best to describe better what you guys are hearing and maybe post a new thread for your own issues as they may be entirely unrelated here!

On another note, by chance have you happened to have changed your air filter at all to something a little more high flow? Aside from the very good advice above regarding split hoses etc. I can confirm my NON turbo 1.6 mk2.5 does exactly that which you describe when I'm at about 70% pressed on the loud pedal, and it's to do with the open ended K&N I run, air is flowing in a particular way over my throttle body when open a certain degree that it is turbulent and audible inside the car. Sounds pretty good actually knowing what it is but of course if it was anything else I'd be concerned..

Not to scare you into thinking the worst or anything but just offering a bit of something which might be of use and that you could check for. Never know if the little stuff like that contributes but it might help!

• 4 months later...

I have a 2012 Mitsubishi Montero here in the Philippines. I also get the whoooshing sound when moderately stepping on the throttle. After it gets to a certain RPM to change to 4th gear (in automatic), I get the noise. But it doesn't make the noise when I drive it normally, and not stepping on it. If I go into passing gear, I do it get it sometimes, too. But usually hear it only when moderately pushing on the throttle from a dead stop. CRAZY!!! :/ 

I have Have a problem in a transit connect with a sucking /gurgling noise coming from  what seems the pasenger  side under the bonnet on certain Hills,this then trigers the glow plug light to come on and normally throws the van into limp mode ,which I can easily turn the ignition on And off and fixes it untIll the next incline ???

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club