Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk3 Mondeo Wheel Bearing

allbluedave

hey guys. :) so since ive bought the mondeo its had a rumbly rear bearing which i knew about when i got the car but its slowly geting worse. would i be able to pack it with grease and box it up to cure it or is it gunna have to have a replacement? ive had the car two weeks and it passed the mot with a advisory on the bearing. im going on a long journey in it soon and dont want it to let me down. cheers guys B)

They are a sealed unit so it's a replacement I'm afraid. Very simple to do though, less than 30 mins. Depending on what's fitted you might need a long torx bit socket, I can't remember what size though.

The bearing is part of the hub which essentially holds the wheel on so a replacement is advised. They are a very common part now so show be able to pick one up for about £45

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

i was hoping i could just grease it up for now and nip it up. :rolleyes: last wheel bearing i did had a outer Shell that had to be drifted out the hub and a bearing race that was sealed lol.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-MONDEO-Mk-3-00-07-ONE-REAR-WHEEL-BEARING-HUB-KIT-WITH-FITTING-BOLTS-NEW-/251520673154?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Plat_Gen%3AMK+III%7CModel%3AMondeo&hash=item3a8fcce582

well thats alot different to what i was expecting lol :o

What were you expecting lol? That's a good price if it's a quality unit

wasnt the price rich :) . it was the bearing design. last bearing i did was on a old vw golf lol. very different set up to a mondeo lol :D

Yeah these have the hub and abs pick up in there too. It has better longevity. A good quality one will probably last 40,000 or so.

so if the bearing gets louder. whats the worst thing can happen? seize? cheers rich ;)

Worst case I have known them to split from hub which takes the wheel off but being in the parts trade I hear all sorts of stories with different scenarios. To be honest you have a bit left in it if it was only an advisory on mot. They start off by wobbling and becoming noisy and get progressively worse. The complete hubs tend not to seize because there all one unit

M.o.t is the bare essential to make it road legal at time of test. Failing things on a service point of view is higher than a m.o.t point of view. Get a new bearing an save the hassle of what if etc. £50 is nothing compared to what could happen

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Ford OC mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

cheers for the replys guy,s. :) new bearing on its way B)

I did my off side rear hub a few days ago. Absolute doddle in my opinion. A new hub cost me £56 which was my only option as I can't get trade discount at that place and was only place open on a Sunday before travelling back to work. Anyway

Jack it up and support on stands

Remove the wheel

Remove the calliper, carrier and disk

You will see four bolts holding it on they are torx bits but can't remember exact side think was T45/T50 cracking off them bolts and remove. The hub will be fairly solid in place even with bolts removed. I used a flat head and tapped it slowly and gently to remove it. Once it starts coming slowly wiggle it with your hands and then when it comes away carefully unplug the abs sensor. Then it's just the reverse to fit the new one. My kit came with new 10 mm bolts a lot easier that the torx bits.

Sealed hubs are a lot easier than pressed in bearings I did them on my old car without a press absolute nightmare!!

If you need any help give me a shout

Sent from my SM-G900F using Ford OC mobile app

I did mine a few months back.

I found the 4 bolts were jammed solid and rusty, the torx head just rounds off, but it is still very easy to remove the 4 bolts.

Cut the 4 bolt heads off with a small angle grinder ( that only takes 5 mins ), then lever off the old hub, that leaves about 20mm of studs to unscrew.

Using the angle grinder again make a flat on all 4 bolts. Unscrew the bolts using molegrips. Without the flat spots the molegrips will just slip round on the jammed bolts.

Its an easy job and they lasted 130000 miles for me.

I got my 2 rear hubs for my Mondeo Estate from eBay £35 each brand new, lots of outlets sell them and free delivery.

Good Luck

Dave

cheers for the replys guys. just waiting for it to turn up in the post.the bit that worried me is if it was torx bolts holding it in place. ill let you know how i go :)