Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My engine is making a clicking sound

jma78b

When the engine is on whether stationery or idle, I can hear a clicking sound coming from the enginer. I don't know what that is. It sounds like a clock ticking but its only the "tick" I hear every 20 or 30 secs. Anyone have a clue what it could be?

When the engine is on whether stationery or idle, I can hear a clicking sound coming from the enginer. I don't know what that is. It sounds like a clock ticking but its only the "tick" I hear every 20 or 30 secs. Anyone have a clue what it could be?

Most probably the air conditioning compressor cycling on and off. It has an electromagnetic clutch which is quite loud. You can prove it is this by turning off the air conditioning.

Ray

it happens to me as well... Turning air con off solves the problem:)

Yeah I had this and was stationery in traffic with window open and it was really worrying me as it was like every 20-30 seconds, then I noticed aircon was on (that does annoy me that it comes on auto when on windscreen setting), waste as I had window open, switched it off and the clicking stopped, so definately air con.

Aw thanks guys! I just hadn't heard it before but with the radio down low and the window open this noise kicked in. Glad its "harmless".

In my current fiesta when it clicks u can feel a "pull" on the car while driving. The AC takes up so much of the engine resource its untrue. by sounds of it u guys only hear a the click in the new one and no way near the extend of the AC effect on the previous model.

• 3 months later...
In my current fiesta when it clicks u can feel a "pull" on the car while driving. The AC takes up so much of the engine resource its untrue. by sounds of it u guys only hear a the click in the new one and no way near the extend of the AC effect on the previous model.

Hi,i am new to the forum so hope i am doing this right.My daughter just got a new fiesta zetec and she gets the normal click when she puts air con on but it keeps clicking about every 20 secs.Not sure if this is right as our other car just does it when you turn on and off.Its not auto air con like titainium.Would be grateful for advice please.Thank you.

Hi,i am new to the forum so hope i am doing this right.My daughter just got a new fiesta zetec and she gets the normal click when she puts air con on but it keeps clicking about every 20 secs.Not sure if this is right as our other car just does it when you turn on and off.Its not auto air con like titainium.Would be grateful for advice please.Thank you.

This sounds about right, my A/C clicks every around every 20-30 seconds.

This sounds about right, my A/C clicks every around every 20-30 seconds.

thanks for the answering.I have just been back to the ford garage and asked them to let me hear another Fiesta's air con and it just clicks once and then when you turn it off.They said to book it in for a check,she has only had the car 3 days :(.It's a really lound clunk when listening from the outside!

thanks for the answering.I have just been back to the ford garage and asked them to let me hear another Fiesta's air con and it just clicks once and then when you turn it off.They said to book it in for a check,she has only had the car 3 days :(.It's a really lound clunk when listening from the outside!

Yeah, I only really hear mine if the radio's low or I have the window open. I guess they have it switch on and off so it's not continuously drawing power from the engine.

Mine does it continuosly as long as the AC is on. Its loud but as I dont have anything to compare it with I don't know if its not ok. Going in for its first 1,000 mile service on Saturday. Might mention it if I remember.

• 8 months later...

Mine does it continuosly as long as the AC is on. Its loud but as I dont have anything to compare it with I don't know if its not ok. Going in for its first 1,000 mile service on Saturday. Might mention it if I remember.

I found this post through a Google search so I'll add my comments even though I don't have a Fiesta.

Same issue here with an '06 Ford Mustang GT. Every 30 seconds or so, without fail, *tick*. I can feel a slight pull on the engine as well, almost as if a single cylinder missed once. The tick I don't mind but the sudden, short-lived load on the engine bothers the heck out of me. I use the A/C as little as possible.

The A/C system was just recharged at a Ford dealership and I had mentioned the ticking problem when bringing the car in. I guess it's normal. I don't ever remember such frequent compressor reseting on other vehicles.

• 4 months later...

mine fiesta doing the same about every 20 – 50 sec. (depends on temperature and fan speed) ,

my neighbor have the same fiesta as I do, and told me that his never clicks,

so what they told u in garage? Did they fixed this?

It has been a while, so I mostly forgot the proper terms, but I changed my coil, bearings and clutch plate on the A/C of my Civic. When I put everything back together, I didn't even realize there was supposed to be a specific gap between the clutch plate....and something else. I just slapped everything togther and was happy I had A/C again. Problem was I'd get a louder then usual...clank when my compressor engaged and my motor would bog down. Eventually I took it back apart and re-assembled using a feeler gauge for the gap between the clutch plate...and the other part. Noise became mostly un-noticeable and motor stopped bogging down.

It has been a while, so I mostly forgot the proper terms, but I changed my coil, bearings and clutch plate on the A/C of my Civic. When I put everything back together, I didn't even realize there was supposed to be a specific gap between the clutch plate....and something else. I just slapped everything togther and was happy I had A/C again. Problem was I'd get a louder then usual...clank when my compressor engaged and my motor would bog down. Eventually I took it back apart and re-assembled using a feeler gauge for the gap between the clutch plate...and the other part. Noise became mostly un-noticeable and motor stopped bogging down.

its a bit different here, its a new car and a/c constantly goes in an out every several seconds (not the fan, but the a/c itself making clicking noise),

ford says that its okay, but i asked several fiesta owners and none noticed its happens on theirs fiesta

its a bit different here, its a new car and a/c constantly goes in an out every several seconds (not the fan, but the a/c itself making clicking noise),

ford says that its okay, but i asked several fiesta owners and none noticed its happens on theirs fiesta

I’m afraid it’s some known issues and ford simply not ready to admit, cause if a/c

should work this way, its should be the same on all fiestas…

• 4 months later...

hi

just found this posty on a search and thought i would bump it, today when i was cleaning my car i noticed my air con was making a loud clicking noise when i turned it on , it happens about every 20 seconds when the car is idle/stationary , is it normal ? , i cant say ive heard it while driving but i noticed it today from the outside of the car it goes away when i turn the a/c off so its deffo the a/c.

cheers

My air con clicks every 20 secs or so too - quite normal I think! It's the clutch on the compressor unit, seems to cut in & out on the Fiesta - rather than running continuously which is how it worked on my previous car. Suspect that it works this way on the Fiesta to save fuel.

• 3 years later...

I just heard this on a Fiesta I had a test drive in! It was quite frequent, maybe every 10 seconds but went when the aircon was turned off. I remembered when I got home (didnt buy it yet) the lady had told me when I initially rang that there was a receipt for something to do with aircon only from last month. Wondering if there was something wrong, they had it fixed and its still dodgy. seemed cool but not as cold as I was expecting and didnt test drive it far. hmmmm, had a google and strange some people seem to have it and some don't!

• 1 year later...

Ok, this noise is by the mechanism of the damper air conditioner...