Do Not Sell My Personal Information

55 Plate Focus 1.4 Central Locking / Electrical Problems

jord0410

My 55 focus suddenly the other day began to constantly show my handbrake light on the dashboard, along with no audible indicator alert or visual green arrow on the dash (indicators still signalled externally), no door open warning light on dash when door was open, interior central light constantly stays on even when driving, central locking would receive from the fob but would double click and not lock, on one occasion when I activated my front window wiper using the demist option (single manual wipe) my back window wiper activated aswell as the front, although this problem only happened for a couple of minutes one morning, I am clueless as I have only been driving for 6 months and have basic knowledge, I have had intermittent start up problems in the past where it would not start first turn which friends have stated could be battery related, this is all the information I have on the issue and all help would be massively appreciated.

The car has recently had a new clutch and this problem does not affect the cars drive.

Many thanks

Jordan.

Ok. Your car is having issues my car is having. Well did. Starting with the easy thing. The starting only sometimes was fixed once I changed the coolant temp sensor. But make sure you check everything else.

Everything else being, spark plugs, oil condition etc etc.

Now for the other issue. You need to go to the fuse box passenger side and check all the connectors are on correctly. You may choose to take the connector off then reattach. If that don't help you can then check all the fuses 1 by 1.

Ok so if you still have a problem. You need to get a Ford diagnostics cable. Elm cable 327 or something is fine or just buy on off someone on this forum, sure someone must sell them. Once you have cable place car ignition on. And select gem on the elm config software. If you use some other software buttons will be diffrent. All you need to check is that the gem is responding to you.

If no responce I'm sorry to tell you but you would have a major wiring issue. So you will need the harness checked.

Get Ford to do it for around £1000 to rewire or just do it yourself buy loom off eBay for like £50. But if you are doing it yourself it is ALOT of work. ALOT of work. Incentives you have done all the steps and you still have issue then I just don't know.

Remember that all the codes I had was just a can bus error on instrument cluster. Nothing else to help. So you might want to check for any codes. Can bus is very very complicated and it was giving me a headache.

OH AND IF YOU HAVE A ALARM SYSTEM MAKE SURE YOU CHECK IT DONT HAVE A HI JACK FEATURE.

I only had the car 6 months and already had to replace clutch and tyres, it passed its mot last week too! First car and I end up with this! I hope it is something minor, but I can't see it being, with the luck I have lol. Thanks for your comment by the way mate

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

I've just spoken to a friend who seems to think it sounds like my gem module? Does that ring any bells?

To find out if it's the gem module you need to check other things work. If everything don't work then it would be the gem. If you have anyone with a diagnostics get them to see if the can communicate with the gem. If the carnt see what errors the instrument cluster is holding. If you have done the steps I've said before then your gem would be at fault. Make sure the connections are all good on the gem. The gem also being your fuse box. Check fuses. But you issue may not be like mine where the only fix was to have the dash rewired. Your issue may just be faulty gem or connector loose.

I hope so pal I'm literally useless with motors, it's going in for diagnostics at 3 today so I will post up on here what's at fault, if it's anything over 300 quid then the focus is going and I'll try the new 14 plate astra, I hope it's just something loose or a minor part replacement, but if going by my luck it will be a complete electrical failure lol.

Check headlights work. Check ac works just check everything. There is a test mode you can go into on the gem where you hold the rear demist but forgot the full procedure.

You could just go to a scrappy get a gem from a higher spec car and put it in if it solve your probe it would be ur gem. If not the same issues should remain. Replacing the gem is really easy.

A astra won't help on the electrical side of things as I had a astra and the electrics was craps sold it for parts. You also get the stupid Speakers never working trust me you will be downgrading if you do that. The diagnostics will tell you more along the lines what the issue maybe. But won't help much if the only code is u1900 can communication .

Forgot to say. Your best bet is to get a auto electriction to check it. By good I mean someone that know everything about Ford's. Don't get someone the knows all about renualts to works on it.

But do the diagnostics and work from there.

It's annoying I don't no what I am looking for or I would have a look myself, alls I know is the indicators do not visually flash nor click audibly, my central locking receives from my fob but locks and unlocks instantly after, my handbrake light is constantly on, my interior light is constantly on when car is on, my boot has never opened manually although I believe it's the switch what is broke and that is another issue, I'm just baffled and don't want to spend anymore money on this car, I payed £2200 6 months ago for it and had to replace clutch, tyres and now this!

Did the car come all original, so CD player never changed? Get diagnostics but before that just check all connectors are on the fuse box under glove box are secure. Get back to me with any codes or if you cannot connect to the gem.

So Nazsky, I dropped the car off at 3pm today (I unscrewed and the clips to the gem module and let it hang in the passenger footwell for easy access for the technician) and I left for home, I have just received a phone call from the technician asking me what actually was up with my car as none of the problems are there anymore! I was baffled and just said wow no way, so what I'm thinking is that when I loosened the gem module maybe a cable was sat wrongly or not connected enough or some sort of cable issue and letting the module move about has fixed my issue this would be helpful if it happens again as I will know, anyhow fingers crossed I'm about to collect it now just hope it has fixed itself and that the tech actually is talking about my car and not another focus he has in haha, many thanks for the help and look out for my future posts of me asking for help lol.

Yh sounds like loose connection. That's why you need to check that first.

Just collected the car, sound as a pound, no issues, the tech said he unplugged it and them plugged it back in and everything was sound, (what the tech meant by IT I don't know) but my focus lives on and drives another day, fingers crossed eh.

Your a lucky one then. My cars decided it don't want to start no more.

What motor you got naz?

Ford Focus 2.6 mk2 . Saturday gonna give it to a auto electrician if he carnt fix it then I'm selling it. Get a focus rs or st.

RS over ST all day costlier to maintain but they don't half look awesome, white rs with black features. Good luck with it, you have any idea on what problem is?

Starter won't crank You turn key you get ignition but that's it no sounds nothing. I might get it in blue lol. Not white. Green is oott. Vxr corsa I'm driving now which I might just keep. Funny how both cars just give me problems. Vxr had speaker issues which it still has.

Gonna get my focus fixed unless it to much.

I think the speaker system in my 55 focus is sh--t hot for factory standard, great sound quality I like this focus although I have had this electrical problem and the clutch going, but I enjoy the car and it's a nice drive, I liked the rs until my pal who fitted me a clutch told me the price due to it being Having a duel mass flywheel, same with any upper level car, the luxury comes at a cost when things need replacing and fixing.

But we are talking Volvo. So should be reliable. Rs has a bit of everything really.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club