Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bristol Mechanic

arnosvale

I have found a very good mobile mechanic in Bristol. He changed my cambelt for £150 and replaced a T shaped pipe at the front of the engine while he was at it. He told me that the timing was out by one tooth on the exhaust camshaft and that my front brakes discs were badly worn. He took my car away and left me his till he came back as security. All round good lad. He has quoted me £279 for a genuine clutch kit, fitted, with a guarantee. I was thinking of having a go at the clutch myself but a genuine clutch kit is £91.92 on eBay.. How difficult is it? I do have a trolley jack and stands. Mind you the last gearbox I took out was on an Iveco 190/30 tractor unit in 1985!

Its alway great if you can find a good mechanic especially one thats cheap. My old man has one do the work on his and he always leaves his own car for him to use.

Is it a genuine kit or the same brand as the original?

For example a genuine ford kit may be made by Sachs.. You will also be advised to change the release bearing while the box is out which will add about £40. I'm not certain it will be included in your kit at £90?

Personally I would see what the cheapest price I could get a Sachs or LuK.

But to answer your question, it depends on your experience. If your handy with the spanners and not afraid to get in about it then go for it. I don't mind doing clutches, fwd is a little bit more of a pain though.

It is a LUK clutch full kit that he will fit and it does include the slave cylinder. The £90 I quoted was for a LUK. he said he would fit one I supplied, ie Cheaper, but not guarantee it. Seems fair enough. I have seen them for sale at £45 on eBay but not a genuine one. He says labour only would be £160

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club