Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is a personalised number plate worth it?

Michael P

I have been hunting around the DVLA website for a little while now and have found M99 KEP and with my name being Michael Parr, it looks a bit like Mike P

It's £245 including the fees. I know it's probably the least useful and least practical object you can buy for a car but i like it! Is it worth saving up for ?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Michael P

• Nipz

• Jonny87

• JAR897

I have Y100 JAR and I get a lot of stares and compliments.. Looks very odd on an older car but i think it finishes off a brand new car spectacularly!

I have Y100 JAR and I get a lot of stares and compliments.. Looks very odd on an older car but i think it finishes off a brand new car spectacularly!

Thats it! i shall save up. As you might have guessed i do not need convincing. My dad will not be happy as he is one of these people who think people with personalised reg plates are complete co... mods are about!

Sainsburys shall be getting overtime requests ahoy!

If you feel its personal to you, then yea its a great buy!

well, i do. i believe that it would be illegal to display it as M99KE P but that would be good!

Does anyone else think it looks like MIKE P ? just a little, ikkle bit ?!

It's funny when people spend so much money on a private plate and it looks nowt like their name.

12 pints and that wouldn't look like Mike to me. But hey ho, it's your money. :D

It's funny when people spend so much money on a private plate and it looks nowt like their name.

12 pints and that wouldn't look like Mike to me. But hey ho, it's your money. :D

12 pints and id be staring at the insides of my eye lids! :lol:

oh noooooo. its either that or P2 RRX or P7 RRX or something that vaguely looks like PARR.

Then again, my money saving up skills are really, really bad

If your not 100% then dont get it. If your not sure so what i do, make myself wait for a week and see what i think then. Normally ive gone of the idea or thought of a better one that im waiting another week to see if i like lol

Pesonally, I'd save the money and wait until you have enough to mean something to others as thats the main point of a plate, for me at least. I could have gone with X100 or D100 but Y100 sounded much better.

It will take me a while to save up so i will have plenty of time to think about it!

I think i like P2 RRX as it looks more like PARR (sorry keith if it doesn't!)

I think they finish off any car, now all i need is some money :)

I might take a look at this for a good 09 plate. Mine is rather unfortunate and is just asking for the 9 to be tampered with to make a rude word!

Sorry but I dont think it looks like Mike either, I wouldnt buy a plate just for the sake of it maybe looking like your name, if you really want one, keep saving and saving and wait until you get exactly what you want. We brought our plate for our son, even though my OH name is Max too its for our boy when he is older, its actually doubled in price since we brought it, so its an investment too, we got ours from speedy regs and its an Irish number plate it cost over 1k though. Its MAX 265X and there is no mistaking the name its supposed to read lol.

i might go with my original idea from years ago and get one with MKE at the end, R99 MKE looks alright.

I have a personalised reg on my car which I have put on this week (had it on my old fiesta too!) it's E10 FTS. My name is Emily hence the "E" and Lofts is my second name. Mine wasn't cheap - £700. My Mum went absolutely mental when my Dad turned up from work one day having spent that amount of money without telling her. I think they are lovely but very expensive.

I like it, and it's very unique to me (or my mum - Erika!)

It will take me a while to save up so i will have plenty of time to think about it!

I think i like P2 RRX as it looks more like PARR (sorry keith if it doesn't!)

I think they finish off any car, now all i need is some money :)

Again, if I was driving behind you, I wouldn't think oh, that must driver must be Parr in front, can't mistake a plate like that and that is the whole point of personalised reg plates.

You do realise it would actually be cheaper to change your name by deed poll to R544 YPU. How much better does it get than that and it would be perfect. Go on, do it, let's see how much you want a personal plate. :lol:

I got K8 VNL kevin L £250.People dont know how old your car is when you hae one.Mine is 06 fiesta ghia

My names Fraser Bottomley, I bought 'F 8OTT' last year, yet to put it on anything yet though

the problem with p plates is that since nov 1st you can not get them made up with any extra spaceing or different font to make them read anything.

Is a personalised number plate worth it?

Well in my opinion its a cose of more money than sence, especially as average price for "Vanity Plates" seems to be around a grand. Looking back at some posts...

"M99 KEP and with my name being Michael Parr, it looks a bit like Mike P"

No it doesn't

"Does anyone else think it looks like MIKE P ? just a little, ikkle bit ?!"

Whats the point of spending a grand for something that only looks an "ikkle bit" right?

"P2 RRX or P7 RRX or something that vaguely looks like PARR"

Neither of those look vaguely like parr, again, whats the point on getting a "vague" vanity plate

"MAX 265X"

Now thats the right way of doing it, notice how it actually reads something :)

"I have Y100 JAR and I get a lot of stares and compliments"

Although this is clearly a vanity plate, nobody is ever going to have a clue what it means, so whats the point? Why do you want to get lots of stares and compliments? Attention seeking? Self obsessed? No offence intended, but why do you want people staring at you???

"I got K8 VNL kevin L £250"

Well the price seems ok, but to me that looks like Kate (K8) not Kevin, so that does not even work!!

Just thought that this thread could do with some rational balance.

"AA51 KEV" Is available for less than a grand

For instance, If I wanted to glue a grand to either side of my car I could get "KE09 JON" for less than a grand. The only other brand new vehicle I have bought was a motorbike that was KE04 KDU back in 2004, so thats the KE. 09 Would obviously preserve the year, instead of the some vanity plates that hide it because the owner thinks he is being clever making his car look newer than it is, when its obviously ancient. And then JON, which actually does read "JON" as my first name is Jonathan

I wouldn't mind forking out for the above plate, but to be honest, every time I looked at it I would think "what a knob" and I know that other people would be thinking exactly the same! And the last thing i want to do is draw attention to my car, more likely to get it vandalised!

For the OP

MIKPU and MIKPV or even better MICPY are all available for sub-500 quid

Anyway thats my humble and honest opinion on the matter, slate it if you must....

You missed mine out! Do you get the point of mine?! Pretty self explanatory I think!

A personalised plate can definately improve the look of the car, I'm planning to get one later. Good ones do pop up sometimes!

A personalised plate can definately improve the look of the car, I'm planning to get one later. Good ones do pop up sometimes!

Says who?

It's a rectangular plate with numbers and letters. No plate makes a car look better. In fact, I pity all car designers who have to design cars with these monstrosities in mind. As Jonny said, it's a vanity thing and I'm slightly worried as we've agreed on something. :ph34r:

To answer the original question, total waste of money in my opinion.

Let's be honest, if you want your name on your car (again, I don't know why anyone would), do what they did in the 80's and get a green screen sunvisor and print your name on it, then everyone will know whos car it is.

I got K8 VNL kevin L £250.People dont know how old your car is when you hae one.Mine is 06 fiesta ghia

Is that important?