Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Intermittent Fault And Limp Mode! Tdci 130 Please Help.

tanksta1

Hi, i have an intermittent fault with my 54 plate mondeo 2.0 tdci 130. One day the coil light will flash yellow once the car is started and it will go into limp mode and the next day the coil light won't flash and the car will run perfectly! There seems to be no pattern to this, it's just random. Anyway I took my car to my brother in law who's company he works for has a snap on diagnostics kit, they ran the diagnostics and it came out with this reading.

ECM/turbocharger (TC) control solenoid A - circuit malfunction. Then says 'possible causes' wiring?

So i Googled this and nothing came up, i looked and the ford fault codes and the nearest code i found was P1692 which is turbo control solenoid circuit malfunction. So again i Googled this fault code and cant find anyone who has had this problem. Is there anyone who could help? Thanks

Hi I am new to this I have a tdci 04 plate 2.0l ford mondeo the car was running all Ok the glow plug started to flash car goes in to limp mode and then cuts out car can be turned off and back on and back to normal

I have plugged car in to code reader and P0251 comes up

I have changed fuel filter

Bought new imv

Done injector leak off test and 10ml in all 4 after 4mins

Cleaned egr valve

Changed pressure sensor on fuel rail

Changed all fuel pipes

Put new turbo and actuator on

Checked all boost pipes for leaks and all Ok

Bought new boost valve

Changed maf sensor

Checked all turbo pipes all Ok

Also made my own fuel tank and made no difference

Also checked fuel pump pressure all Ok

This codes has come up and when plugged in to code reader I clear code and run car and it comes on when I am in 3rd about 3000 revs

Has anyone's else had this problem and fixed it as I am lost at what it could be

only thing i can find is injectors... did u do the leak off test at idle?

Yes done the leak off test at idle for 4mins and had 10ml result in all 4 engine management light is also on constant now unless I clear it then it comes back on

Sent from my C6603 using Ford OC mobile app

Wow someone steals my thread and gets answers and my original question gets ignored! Lol good work there.

Sorry mate didn't realised I pasted it on to ur forum I am new to it don't know how to take off

Sent from my C6603 using Ford OC mobile app

The Turbo issue sounds like it might be best to take the unit off and give it a clean up, I cant recall if it has a wastegate actuator but it sounds like it may be stuck.

Try disconnecting the wiring from the turbo where possible, and then run the engine, rev it up to 2500 and see if it errors or not. Clear the code then do the same thing again and check the error. if its the same error code its more likely to be a wiring issue. Alternatively then reconnect it and it will confirm if its just a loose connection by resetting the light and seeing if it comes back.

Hi, i have an intermittent fault with my 54 plate mondeo 2.0 tdci 130. One day the coil light will flash yellow once the car is started and it will go into limp mode and the next day the coil light won't flash and the car will run perfectly! There seems to be no pattern to this, it's just random. Anyway I took my car to my brother in law who's company he works for has a snap on diagnostics kit, they ran the diagnostics and it came out with this reading.

ECM/turbocharger (TC) control solenoid A - circuit malfunction. Then says 'possible causes' wiring?

So i Googled this and nothing came up, i looked and the ford fault codes and the nearest code i found was P1692 which is turbo control solenoid circuit malfunction. So again i Googled this fault code and cant find anyone who has had this problem. Is there anyone who could help? Thanks

There are 3 basic types of turbo/ actuator on the Mk3 (Mondeo diesel), 2 of these are used on the TDCI 130, Both are VNT (Variable Nozzle Turbo AKA variable vane) One has a pnumatic actuator (no wires to the turbo/ actuator) and the other an electronic actuator (lots of wires to the turbo/actuator)

Post up a pic of the engine (cover off) to see which type

Both are prone to the VNT mech (that is in the flow of the exhaust) being coked up and sticking/ siezing - this can cause too little boost (low power/ a lot of lag) or too much boost - runs ok, then under heavy load (uphill/ in higher gear/ hard acceleration/ high speed) ECU cuts power/ triggers limp home mode

The ECU cannot discriminate between sensor, wiring or actual faults - it only interprets the signals that are fed to it

Hi guys thanks for your replies, im not mechanically minded so as far as taking the unit off goes i dont dare as i will most likely do something wrong! Lol.

As far as I can see the arm on the actuator moves nice and freely when i rev the engine and sits back in its original position when i turn the engine off. However when the fault does happen and the coil light does start to flash again and go into limp mode the actuator will just sit in its home position and not move when i rev the engine but i dont know whether this is just because it's in limp mode or not. I will post the pictures of my engine bay..

Sent from my C6903 using Ford OC mobile app

Here are the pics

Sent from my C6903 using Ford OC mobile app

post-54699-140100931604_thumb.jpg

post-54699-140100932814_thumb.jpg

You have the type of Mk3 Mondeo TDCI with the electronic turbo actuator, it is a Euro4 engine

I also noticed your engine vibration damper is missing off your left-hand engine mount (its not essential but may cause a bit more NVH, also may show the engine has been "meddled" with)