Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help Please

tezza12

Hi all, new here, in need of help.

I have a 02 plate ford focus 1.8 TDCI, i have had for about 6 months and it has been great, my first diesel also.

Yesterday went out with the family and all was fine, started fine, drove fine, got home, then 1 hour later needed to go out again, got in car, went to start and....nothing.

Not trying to turn over, no clicking, just nothing at all, Lights, windows, radio all work 100%

I had a play with the connections on the battery but with no luck.

It has been pouring down for 24 hours solid and has been suggested that water may have got in to electrics somehwere, is this likely, if so how do i fix. Car is booked in for a MOT tomorrow and i can't even start it, it won't even jump start.

Any ideas or things i can try

thanks in advance

Could be crankshaft sensor the car won't even turn over if that's faulty

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Where is that and is it a easy fix do you know.

Unless ur starter motor has compleatly failed, or hasn't got a feed from the battery

im pretty sure its not starter motor or battery related, i have a feeling its electrics/water related

Unluckily it's not a petrol car there are hardly any electrics on it. I would first make sure u have power going to ur starter motor first. U could even take it off and test that it works it u wanted to. Crankshaft sensor will be in the engine block somewhere

If it was water/electrics related would easy start or damp start be any good, or is it to late for that, I can't believe this poxy weather the last 24 hours

It should start if it's got wet like a set a petrol wouldn't but it's not a petrol

Its just weird how it has been fine, and was fine yesterday, then 1 hour later nothing.

Check the engine bays fuse and relay box,

They have been known to allow water in resulting in various issues.

• Like 1

Check the engine bays fuse and relay box,

They have been known to allow water in resulting in various issues.

All fuses seem intact and area dry

This might sound a silly question but on the battery, attached to the bolt that holds battery down is a cloth type material strap probably about 8 inches long, what is this, is it supposed to be connected to anything.

When you turn the key, do you see the red light in the middle of the instrument cluster flickering around like mad? if so, its likely that the issue is the immobiliser.

If the LED is not blipping like mad, does it even try to start, or do you turn the key to silence? if so, do you see the headlights flickering or a ticking noise from the passenger footwell fusebox? if so you could be looking at a flat battery.

If the car otherwise behaves ok, do the dashboard trick (press and hold reset button in with the keys at 0, then start the engine holding the button) when the word test appears, let go of the button. Then press the Reset button to cycle through the screens, when you see DTC, tell us if there are any codes or if it shows None. This will tell you if there is an error code associated with the error.

If you have fuel in the tank, and a good battery, you will get something there I suspect telling you what sensor has failed, this can limit the region you need to search.

Where in Kent are you? if you want I can see if I can read the error codes and give you more of a helping hand (or was it Orpington you were at?) if your local to Ashford, or Medway then I can certainly pop by.

When you turn the key, do you see the red light in the middle of the instrument cluster flickering around like mad? if so, its likely that the issue is the immobiliser.

If the LED is not blipping like mad, does it even try to start, or do you turn the key to silence? if so, do you see the headlights flickering or a ticking noise from the passenger footwell fusebox? if so you could be looking at a flat battery.

If the car otherwise behaves ok, do the dashboard trick (press and hold reset button in with the keys at 0, then start the engine holding the button) when the word test appears, let go of the button. Then press the Reset button to cycle through the screens, when you see DTC, tell us if there are any codes or if it shows None. This will tell you if there is an error code associated with the error.

If you have fuel in the tank, and a good battery, you will get something there I suspect telling you what sensor has failed, this can limit the region you need to search.

Where in Kent are you? if you want I can see if I can read the error codes and give you more of a helping hand (or was it Orpington you were at?) if your local to Ashford, or Medway then I can certainly pop by.

Hey, Ok i will try these things one at a time, I am in Swanley, kent, BR8.

Ok done as above and no error codes (i don't think) Just had a mobile mechanic out and said i need a new starter motor, he got it going, says it may last 1 start or 500 starts before going again, told me where to tap on to hopefully get going again short term.

I just thought it would at least tick if it was that but was getting nothing, So next question, how much are starter motors and can i fit myself, i know where it is, does not look that hard lol

Starters depends if your buying new or used, but you dont necessarily need Ford quality branded.

The intention was to buy used, new ones are quite dear, What new ones can you recomend that are not ford but decent for a 1.8 TDCI

The only other none Ford I have heard of is RTX, but I dont know much more than that I am afraid.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club