Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Admitted Defeat 2.0 Tdci Breaking

STEADS

Ok I,ve admitted defeat in the quest to get my 2.0 TDCI running correctly so I,m breaking the whole car 2 door in Panther black any one require any parts pm me all parts available .

Bummer about the car pal!! what happend?

If i had the money would have snapped up your alloys in a second :P

If i may ask what front lower grill do you have? im looking for a zetec s one or st style. also are those wind deflectors i see?

I feel terrible asking these questions i'm sure your gutted after it broke :ph34r:

Waz the car you can see on my profile is my 1.8 titanium s lookalike sorry that's not getting broke lol runs great that one I have a 3 door 2.0 16v tdci as well which if I could of got it running correctly my son was going to have just put a new turbo on this weekend and it's still smoking an it's not the engine third engine we,ve tried (unless I'm extremely unlucky) .

It's been a bit of a project over the last two years on and off when time and money have allowed no one can Suss out why its smokes so much. So I,ve decided enougth is enougth and it's getting broke for parts all panels and interior are in good nick that's why I,ve been loathed to come to this decision .was/ is really to good to break .so going try an reap some money back and buy my lad a car with it.

The grill is just a standard one .

Oh i see no worries.

Afraid i'm useless on a mechanical side of things. Could it have been a build of cr*p somewhere along the exhaust?

Always a hard descion when you put time and money into something.

Unfortunately not had a new cat dpf removed and new rear section probably got a naff ecu but I,m not willing to spend any more money on a chance it might be .

that sucks.

I had an astra before that was having problems and the vauxhall dealership fleeced me out of just under £900 for a new ECU and it wasnt even the problem.

Not much you can when it goes down the ECU route as its just soo expensive.

Aye not a happy bunny I,ve enjoyed tinkering around with it an racked me brains for the solution hours of searching for an answer on various sites an forums but to little avail don't usually give up but this one has defeated me .

Mind you look on the bright side of things I now have spare rear fog and reverse lights to canabilise for a dual fog and reverse light mod one was smashed anyhow and the other was the fog which every one converts anyway so will set about doing a dual mod now.

sorry if I've missed this, but what year and mk is the Focus you are breaking?

It's on a 55 plate mk2 climate

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

I think your right breaking it,after 3 engines it has to be something that hasn't been changed like the ecu,when you changed the engines did you use the same egr on every engine?if you used any other egr on it from another vehicle it has to be coded in to ecu?also maf wiring can cause this aswell without throwing up a fault code?also air dozers can stick,the butterflys inside can stick shut causing mixture problems,i had it on my 2.0 and managed to sand butterfly a bit which cured a mixture problem on mine,just trying to help mate?

also if you can wait a couple of days I will have a look at my vacuum pipes and take some pics for you?

Thanks for reply shamus been a bit of a saga this one bought it thinking it would be a cheap fix the guy had just blown the turbo an had it renewed (192000)on the clock full dealer history for every nut bolt an washer any soon after he had new turbo on it was spuing smoke again . I had the injectors cleaned after I bought it still smoking so put another engine in with its own turbo attached still a little smokey but nothing you would worry about or so I thought took it for a test drive just getting on the motorway bang it literally blew the turbo in half .so left it for months on end got another engine and second hand turbo off the bay (mistake) that turns out is seizing up so had a mate send it to Poland and a total rebuild for 200 cleaned all the pipe work out as on previous attempts and intercooler and egr and it's billowing out tried swop ping vacuum pipes around and smoke will decrease and change from white to grey but won't stop .

Egr is working my mate must of coded it when he had it in the garage to programme the injectors I,m about to pull the egr cooler off to see if that is clogged as it's about the only part I did not clean and after having a read on the net last night seems they have a habit of splitting internally on high mileage ones so I,m thinking this has been overlooked .i can but try I will try until some one makes a bid on eBay .

If you can sort a diagram of the vacuum order it would be appreciated .

ok mate feel for you been where you are now when I had a tdci mondeo,I spent good part of £3000 on it and it just couldn't be fixed,will take some pics of pipework when get a chance maybe tomorrow ok mate.

• Like 1

Thanks Shane

just another thing injectors in the 2.0 litre don't have to be programmed in like the 1.6 tdci and like the mondeo tdci, there are no injector codes written on the injectors if you look at your injectors.are you sure egr has been coded values relearned in every engine you have put in?when I bought mine it was smoking and had a stutter so I thought I will clean egr out.when I looked I see previous owner had put a new one on it so I phoned him and he said they don't need coding in but I took it to ford and they did need coding,also a software update was needed?

if I was you to be certain its not egr make a blanking plate and put it in at the connection where the silver pipe comes out the top of the egr,also try disconnecting the maf and see if the smoke stops.

Shane defo code codes on the injectors my mate who owns a garage coded them in for me I have heard differing stories on wether the egr needs to be coded in though just in case I swopped the egr for another one I have (as I don't know which is the original one) and still the problem exists .will try the maf later but that is a new unit as well.

put a blanking plate on the egr to rule out egr as sounds like it could be that as your symtoms sound like a unprogrammed egr?also my 2.0 tdci 2005 does not have coded injectors seems strange yours has,as you have a new maf in it wont be that,does sound egr related thou?

It's got me totally baffled as it smoke straight from cold on first start like I say if I have a bit of a play I can get it to decrease and chage from white to grey but still in excess no way would it pass an mot

it does sound egr related,when its programmed in it is told when to shut and when to open,if not programmed it might not be fully shut when starting from cold,best test blank it off and try it nothing to lose mate?

just another thing injectors in the 2.0 litre don't have to be programmed in like the 1.6 tdci and like the mondeo tdci, there are no injector codes written on the injectors if you look at your injectors.are you sure egr has been coded values relearned in every engine you have put in?when I bought mine it was smoking and had a stutter so I thought I will clean egr out.when I looked I see previous owner had put a new one on it so I phoned him and he said they don't need coding in but I took it to ford and they did need coding,also a software update was needed?

if I was you to be certain its not egr make a blanking plate and put it in at the connection where the silver pipe comes out the top of the egr,also try disconnecting the maf and see if the smoke stops.

As far as i am aware all TDCI engines have to have their injectors coded to the ECU, only the TDDI ones don't

the PSA 2.0 TDCI Focus engine is similar in design to the 1.6 TDCI (PSA Focus engine)

I agree that fitting a solid EGR blanking plate may/ help fix the problem and is worth doing especially as it is easy to do and costs next to nothing

It's got me totally baffled as it smoke straight from cold on first start like I say if I have a bit of a play I can get it to decrease and chage from white to grey but still in excess no way would it pass an mot

If the injectors are leaking it may produce a lot of smoke when you start it up, especially after a lay up (eg, overnight)

This smoke may be reduced enough after running the engine for a few minites that may be enough to pass an MOT, (especially if it was "tweaked" a bit)

I spoke to my ford dealer mechanic who is a friend and he said my psa 2.0 tdci does not have coced injectors have a look on website autodiagnosis.look under support/manufacturers specific diagnosis,

I could use the bonnet and front bumper if you got a price on those mate?

Sent from my HTC One using Ford OC mobile app

talking about injectors, do the 1.8 TDCI 06 plate ones need to be coded? i know the pre-mk2 tdci ones do, but i just spoke to the parts guy at ford and he says my car doesnt need coding. i don't have any code stickers on the side of the engine either like the mk1 tdci engines do

Forscan also has the ability to code pre-mk2 tdci engines but not mine.

talking about injectors, do the 1.8 TDCI 06 plate ones need to be coded? i know the pre-mk2 tdci ones do, but i just spoke to the parts guy at ford and he says my car doesnt need coding. i don't have any code stickers on the side of the engine either like the mk1 tdci engines do

Forscan also has the ability to code pre-mk2 tdci engines but not mine.

The 1.8 Focus TDCI is a Ford engine (Lynx) and not a PSA, so is different from the 1.6/ 2.0l TDCI (PSA) to add to the confusion, the 2.0L / 2.2Lmk3 Mondeo is a Ford engine ("Puma") and the Focus 2.0 and mk4 Mondeo 2.0/2.2 is a PSA engine - they are all called "TDCI" when fitted in a Ford (the PSA engines are used in countless other cars, Volvos. Pugeots, Citroens etc, often named "hdi", but the same engine )

All the mk3 Mondeo TDCIs needed coding, and the pre 2005 TDCIs, the later TDCIs, i would need to check

coding injectors - pre 2006 TDCIs -

http://www.autodiagnos.com/sites/default/files/ford_injector_programming_tdci_ad.pdf

Ford TDCI engines -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Duratorq_engine