Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Egr Blanking...

InKontrol

Evening all,

My car's manufacturer warranty is due to end in the middle of June. I've heard good things regarding blanking off the EGR valve to prevent the intake of burnt exhaust gasses, and was wondering if it's worth doing it on my car? It's a Euro 5 DV6 engine, however I've heard that the Euro 5 engine is sensitive to having the EGR blanked off, so if it's going to cause the engine light to come on every 10 miles then I won't bother.

It has roughly 50,000 miles on it so far, and might be looking at trading it in within a year or two, so maybe blanking it off for that time period might not be worth the hassle.

• Like 1

I have mine blanked off. Took me 30mins to do from start to finish. I noticed immediately that the car worked abit better breathing wise as the burnt gas isn't being recirculated back into the engine. I fitted it with a year's warranty left in it and I even told them about it when it went in for servicing and the guy said he'd do the same thing.

I can only give pros except one con about it....

It's abit of a pain to fit. Bit fiddly and don't drop it otherwise you'll have to take your under tray off to fish it out.

Good things....

More mpg... When I fitted it my car was doing 61.7mpg(1.6tdci euro5) doing exactly the same trip to work which involves motorway, a roads and b roads. Three months passed and 5000 miles later im doing 63.6mpg.

Mine is still fitted today and I haven't had any engine management warnings. Even been through an mot with nothing to say.

Turbo spools up slight better. You may or may notice.

Flats spots are ironed out slightly.

I found the Dpf doesn't regenerate as much as it used too. (being removed very soon)

Since I've had it fitted I have a 57s kn fitted and my current mpg is 67mpg and rising.

I'd definitely recommend fitting egr blank. Just make sure it's a stainless steel and not aluminum as that will eventually weaken and melt and that will spell disaster....... Not what anyone wants.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice. Regarding the gasket did you put yours on the engine block and then fit the blanking plate, or engine block -> blanking plate -> gasket -> egr valve?

How are you getting 67mpg as well? I can only manage about 53 on a good run (and I don't have a steel foot!)

My fingers are quite skinny so working with fiddly items and in tight spaces is one of my plus points.

• Like 1

I have a DV6 Euro 5 engine, no error code ever, ive blabked the egr and gutted the dpf, remapped it and fitted a green cotton induction filter.

Heres the egr blanking guide:

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/42915-guide-fitting-egr-blanking-plate-16tdci-engine/

Heres the filter upgrade guise:

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/36783-green-cotton-performance-induction-filter-fitting-guide/

Fit the plate between the metal gasket and the EGR body.

Even though the EGR is blanked, gasses will still be passing into the corrugated metal pipe so a gas tight seal is needed between the pipe and the plate.

• Like 1

Yeah so the gasket sits on the engine block side and not the EGR side, my understanding is this:

Engine block -> gasket -> plate -> EGR body

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Yeah so the gasket sits on the engine block side and not the EGR side, my understanding is this:

Engine block -> gasket -> plate -> EGR body

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

over time the carbon deposits will block up any imperfections on the seal anyways,

But the way you have described there is 100% the engine block should get the gasket as its most likely not to be perfect.

• 3 weeks later...

I've just blanked my EGR valve off. Car had been 'limping' quite badly.

Much better first run out, no more limping. But there is a pinking sound (sucking noise) now when I listen from under the bonnet

Any ideas anyone?

I've just blanked my EGR valve off. Car had been 'limping' quite badly.

Much better first run out, no more limping. But there is a pinking sound (sucking noise) now when I listen from under the bonnet

Any ideas anyone?

there is more demand on your induction filter flow, now that the egr is blanked.

This is good because its sucking clean air instead of exhaust gases,

I suggest you clean the induction filter,

Ultimatly though id upgrade the induction filter it will also help your mpg,

See guide here for 10% Discount: http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/36783-green-cotton-performance-induction-filter-fitting-guide/%22

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for late reply.... To be honest I don't really know how I get it. It's dripped to 65 but I've been to isle of Wight so you can only imagine stop start ect ect. Every now and then I give a good hard thrashing right up until it won't rev anymore through out the gear range especially when Dpf running. But other than that my car has just hit 38,000 so engine is ran in so I'd imagine it's either just luck or I have a good standard map. That's due to change when funds permit. I also run standard diesel as super stuff my car doesn't agree on and runs like a pensioner. Keep it serviced and flush everything out every 7,000 (does have full history). As for gasket it's engine, gasket, blank then egr. If you don't put the gasket in the right place it's going to leak. Imagine a hydraulic coupling with no seals. It's going to leak.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club