Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Disc And Pads Replacement. Bad Calliper?

richb87

The rear brakes on my 04 cmax started grinding so ive brought rear discs and pads. Upon further inspection the one side is down to metal yet the other isnt bad at all.. on the badly worn side I cant seem to get the piston to move back, in fact it wont move at all. Does anybody know how to get it to move without bleeding the system?

Maybe its the calliper thats faulty unless the previous owner only replaced pads on the one side.

Thanks!

The fact the piston won't move is a good indication as to why the pads gave worn down to metal - it's probably seized up.

Without inspection it sounds to me like a recon caliper job.

Are you turning the piston to rewind it and not just pushing it?

Just read I need to turn it haha I was just trying to push it back.. ill have another look in the morning and hopefully all is good. Thanks

get a large g clamp, and some of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250mm-10-Plumbers-Slim-Jaw-WATERPUMP-Pipe-Wrench-PLIERS-Grips-Water-Pump-NEW-/231184726203?pt=UK_DIY_Materials_Plumbing_MJ&hash=item35d3aef8bb

when your turning it back just be really careful not to catch the piston rubber boot

I sprayed the rubber boot in wd40 before winding back and works a treat.

Sent from my C5303 using Ford OC mobile app

Pop open the bleed nipple before pushing back the piston, fluid going back to the master cylinder can damage it

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

Thanks for all the advice here.. I have done as you guys have said and one side is complete but the other side where there was excessive wear is really jammed up wont even turn im going to shop around for a new calliper or maybe a seal set if I have the time to repair it.

Just another small issue is the dash is saying 'total e hand brake failure' I suspect this is because of the work i am doing and the computer must think something catastrophic has happened lol

Thanks again for the help

Okay it's all back together with a replacement calliper but its saying total epb failure and if you use the handbrake it makes a terrible noise. The handbrake light is also flashing. Does anybody know the cause of this?

Wen you work on the c max with epb. Your supposed to leave the ignition on. Or remove the fuse. If you dont it thinks its got a brake failure. Last one that happened to me i had to plug it into diagnostics to reset it

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Ford OC mobile app

Wen you work on the c max with epb. Your supposed to leave the ignition on. Or remove the fuse. If you dont it thinks its got a brake failure. Last one that happened to me i had to plug it into diagnostics to reset it

Ok cheers. I suppose I could find a local mechanic to do this for me but would this stop the screeching noise? I just read on another forum that your suppose to hold the epb button down when you take the key out before working on it and pump the brake pedal before starting it after. You heard about this? Thanks

It should do as it resets the module. So it registers that it isnt failed cus its within its paramiters. And nope i havnt heard of that. My master tech told me what to do as i had the same problem back wen i was an apprentice

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club