Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sluggish Fiesta

avalon.21

Hi,we have a 59 plate 1.4 automatic fiesta,which has been serviced etc but seems a bit sluggish, would an aftermarket air intake help?does anyone know please or any other ideas??? Thanks

petty or derv?

Petty or derv????

Sent from my C5303 using Ford OC mobile app

Sorry,forgot to put in its petrol......thanks

petrol or diesel karlos lol

tbh i dont think there is much you can do with a 1.4 n/a, except for a good service, maybe upgrade plugs for better spark, and use Shell v power, for a higher octane burn...... ...

if you went down the air filter route, buy a uprated filter the same as yours now.. ie k&n pipercoss and smooth out the air box, thus getting a better induction for the car....

a cat back exhaust wont give you any more ponies, just a louder note.....

there is a map out there, but is approx 10bhp worth the cost of around 250 notes?

• Like 1

petrol or diesel karlos lol

I got that just as I wrote it. Lol. Dumb moment. Lol

Sent from my C5303 using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 1

Hi., thanks for the replies,it's had a service, so we'll think about remap and get filter just to see........THANKS AGAIN!!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi., thanks for the replies,it's had a service, so we'll think about remap and get filter just to see........THANKS AGAIN!!

In my opinion, i feel it would be a waste of you time/ money effort to try and get more power out of an NA 1.4 Auto, you would need to spend £250 on a remap to get an extra not 10hp, but 6Hp -

http://www.superchips.co.uk/curves/FiestaMk61.416v.pdf

you need a minimum of 10% more power to notice any improvement - that is less than 10% so you would not notice any increase (after spending your £250, other tuners/ remappers are unlikely to get any more power than that out of that engine

The airbox / filter will probably not make hardly any difference (1 to 2 Hp, on that engine) it may even reduce power if not done right

The auto 'box will soak up any power increases too

So my best advice is to leave it alone, and get a quicker car when you can afford it/ are ready for it - even a realatively mundane turbodiesel can be made a lot quicker with just a remap (eg- the Focus 1.8 TDCI) or a Fiesta or Focus ST is in a completely different league performance-wise

The only way you can see and feel improved power is to replace the cams. then you will also need to increase the exhaust and need an ecu upgrade to get things moving correctly. In my opinion unless you are prepared to spend big dollars on upgrading you wont get much performance increase. nothing you will really notice anyway. Better off to get a faster car if you want to go faster.

If you start to modify the car yourself, you will find that it never gets any better, just worse. I have just gone through this myself and am left with a half working car. huge power gains, but now worried about how long things will last for?

The only way you can see and feel improved power is to replace the cams. then you will also need to increase the exhaust and need an ecu upgrade to get things moving correctly. In my opinion unless you are prepared to spend big dollars on upgrading you wont get much performance increase. nothing you will really notice anyway. Better off to get a faster car if you want to go faster.

If you start to modify the car yourself, you will find that it never gets any better, just worse. I have just gone through this myself and am left with a half working car. huge power gains, but now worried about how long things will last for?

There are lots of different ways to make cars faster, cars can be made significantly faster without changing the cams

tell us about your experience of modifiying your car, you could do a build thread - do you have dyno printouts?

Whats a half working car?

I would like to do a build thread, but its been 1-2 years to get where i'm at now.

If you have a car that has some sort of potential standard, then with small mods you can get huge power, like i've heard that there was a bolt on supercharger for a Toyota trueno. Turbos you can always get an ecu upgrade to increase performance, as turbos are always fuel efficient from the factory. you need to know what tolerences are available to play with.

Most cars now a days you cant do too much without upsetting something else. Like I mucked around with the air intake and had to modify this 5 times till I got something working properly. I think sometime some people just expect to do a simple change and it causes more headache through lack of knowledge or experience. The issue was that it was not getting enough air, or pipes would fall off etc.

Cars cost money... if you have money to spend then you can get some where but most people don't realise how much to get somewhere....

My car has piper cams, 4-2-1 full exhaust with High-low cat, Unichip Q ECU piggyback, Modified air -intake, and now goes like a bat out of hell. but I have not had the idle fixed, so the car just dies when I'm going to stop, or sometimes when I go around a slow corner, so I loose brakes, steering etc and its scary.

The mechanic played with the intake cam and made the idle better, but I thought caused more issues at top end.

It has to go on a dyno and this will be about $1500.00 AUD to get sorted out. I guess that I did not realise the extra costs when I started on this upgrade.

I would like to do a build thread, but its been 1-2 years to get where i'm at now.

If you have a car that has some sort of potential standard, then with small mods you can get huge power, like i've heard that there was a bolt on supercharger for a Toyota trueno. Turbos you can always get an ecu upgrade to increase performance, as turbos are always fuel efficient from the factory. you need to know what tolerences are available to play with.

Most cars now a days you cant do too much without upsetting something else. Like I mucked around with the air intake and had to modify this 5 times till I got something working properly. I think sometime some people just expect to do a simple change and it causes more headache through lack of knowledge or experience. The issue was that it was not getting enough air, or pipes would fall off etc.

Cars cost money... if you have money to spend then you can get some where but most people don't realise how much to get somewhere....

My car has piper cams, 4-2-1 full exhaust with High-low cat, Unichip Q ECU piggyback, Modified air -intake, and now goes like a bat out of hell. but I have not had the idle fixed, so the car just dies when I'm going to stop, or sometimes when I go around a slow corner, so I loose brakes, steering etc and its scary.

The mechanic played with the intake cam and made the idle better, but I thought caused more issues at top end.

It has to go on a dyno and this will be about $1500.00 AUD to get sorted out. I guess that I did not realise the extra costs when I started on this upgrade.

If you have a race cam profile it may not tickover at low revs, but you can get it ticking over at higher revs, just set the tickover at 1k or 1.5k, it may make it difficult to drive in traffic, but less liable to stall,

Looking forward to reading the build thread

With the new cams, exhaust, ecu, I was told I could keep up with the st-150 (2.0 ltr) with the 1.6 and I believe they are right. Its a much different car to drive now. But have to consider brakes, suspension etc....

I love the fiesta.... its fun, economic, reliable so far... with most people starting to worry about being green, a small car is a good option. I just like having something slightly better than standard :)

I'm glad it was or still is a favourite model in the UK, so people have had good experience to document and discuss any changes they have made.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club