Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Using Second Hand Abs Units?

mjcarter73

Hi all,

I have had a problem in that my ABS light came on. This was due to a blown fuse, changed the fuse and all was well until you brake again- at which point it blew and the ABS light came on again. My garage checked this and there were no error codes stored at all This seemed to be due to a bust ABS unit. Since these cost an arm and a leg I got a good used one from a 2007 Fiesta (my own is 2005) matching numbers of course.

Problem is that my garage said they couldn't fit it because it still contained codes from the previous vehicle and/or they needed information from the donor vehicle's ECU. Luckily my problem seemed to be the pump only so swapping the pump components has solved the problem- but at increased labour charge.

I find it strange that its not possible to use/reuse a complete ABS unit from a donor car- especially as so many of them are on sale, so I thought I'd check on whether this is actually feasible and if so what is the correct procedure?

Mike

Yes it is feasible, a lot of modern vehicles have the abs control module coded to the car. Sometimes the module can be recoded, others first need to be Virginised and then recoded to the car. Companies such as bba reman can Virginise some control modules allowing them to be recoded to the car with a main dealer diagnostic tool. I'm talking generally here as I don't have experience with ford ABS units. But in short, yes what the garage stated is feasible.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Just wondering if anyone on this forum has ever done this? If so how did they do it? The supplier of the unit has stated that in this case (2007 Fiesta) the units are not coded (in contrast to the garage), but does anyone know definitively if this is the case?

Thanks all

Mike

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club