Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best Dash Cam For Mk2 Focus????

sonic113

thanks James for the link. its looks pretty good. I'm going to see if i can get more information about it.

whats your first impressions of it? I think it looks very compact.

thanks James for the link. its looks pretty good. I'm going to see if i can get more information about it.

whats your first impressions of it? I think it looks very compact.

My first impressions... If I'm honest... The cam records in 720p highest, this is a huge bite out of video image detail, and won't be wide angle, in other words the camera might not record your bonnet from left to right, part of it might be chopped off where a 1080p would pick up even the pavements.

+

1. Big screen

2. Dual lens

3. Front and rear assuming cables are long enough

4. Records both at the same time.

-

1. 720 only no wide angle

2. 2x 720p recordings on the same sd card will eat up space fast

3. Lots of wiring with what appears to be special connectors rather than standard usb/micro usb

4. No actual output file type stated? Codec h.264 but compression type?

Side notes: I'm curious if this camera really can record using 2 separate cameras at 720p

Normally your secondary camera records at a lower level

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Ford OC mobile app

I have to be honest, I put my cheapo camera in and it actually doesnt look too bad, I will do a shot on the way into work and upload the footage later!

Kurt fair and good point.

James I will look forward to seeing your footage. Can you post some front can footage as well just to compare quality.

So many cams and its hard to know what to get. 😂

my cheapo was advertised as with rear, but actually was only a front cam, so I will be running a dual cam setup - if this new one is any good, I will have this in front and the GS8000L in the back.

so James are you running the gs8000l as a rear cam at the moment? and if so what model do you have as a front cam? how lomg have you had the gs8000l now and has it been reliable so far?

Hi Sonic,

That is the long term plan, however, the GS is still front cam, and the new one also is, so that if the quality is cack and not worth the time of day, and if something happens, in the short term I still have some good footage (I should know by tonight) but either way, that will be the long term objective!

The GS is a very good cam I cant deny it, it seems to have developed a niggle where it will overwrite its old files for a little while then gets bored and says Card Full and refuses to record. No big deal, just format and get on with it, so its a 20 second fix now and then, but overall - I truely cannot fault the GS8000L

The Front cam is branded as "Check The Logger i1000 - it seems to be a cheap chinese unit, but I will have to see how the quality is, but as I have technically gotten it for free I dont care so much :p

The i1000 - isn't that very, very similar to the F70 too? Bit of a wedge shaped unit?

Sent from my SM-P600 using Ford OC mobile app

I reckon the little SJ1000 is hard to beat as a dash cam. I have the more expensive SJ4000 as well, but the video and audio performance is identical, so go with the SJ1k I say. About 42 quid at amazon these days, and an amazing bargain.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Waterproof-Portable-Sports-Camera-Meters/dp/B00ENF3C5S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404835310&sr=8-1&keywords=sj1000+action+camera

I've fitted mine directly to the rear view mirror's support so the image is rock steady and it's near-on invisible through the screen. Get a black one so as to be as unobtrusive as possible. Had mine a year and it's been totally reliable. The footage on my 55'' TV has to be seen to be believed.

You can read my review here:

http://www.theiac.org.uk/news/Tom-Hardwick-review.pdf

tom.

somewhat, but this one is a cheapo variant :p

been looking at these 2 the last few days I think they are both E-Prance. Is E-Prance a good make or just a badge name for sales and stuff and has anybody used these types before?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/E-PRANCE-Novatek-Dashcamera-Recorder-G-sensor-Black/dp/B00IPDDAME/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1404899452&sr=8-11&keywords=car+dash+cam

James is this gw1 the same as your gs8000l just like a rebadged version?

also been looking at this one, any one else have experience of this one as well?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/E-PRANCE-Original-Ambarella-Recorder-Resolution/dp/B00F5WPB2K/ref=sr_1_86?ie=UTF8&qid=1404899719&sr=8-86&keywords=car+dash+cam

Thanks

similar but not the same so its not a rebadge :)

I think the GS is still the best value dashcam with best quality at a reasonable price!

I think you may be spot on James. Can you link me to the same model you have (dont want to pick up any fake ones you hear about lol!) I may get one to run as a trail and if you say its a good job and I like it I will get one for the rear as well at some point. Will a class's 4 or 6 card be ok to use with the gsw8000l?

Have a look at my signature that's the one the wife bought me, it did come from overseas though so you could be better getting one local lol.

I bought a class 10 personally, generally people say class 6 would be fine though

Sent from my MY SAGA C2 using Ford OC mobile app

James I have read through your thread on the dash cam and saw the footage. great read by the way I enjoyed it and the install pics are very good.

Just have a few questions when you get the chance and if you don't mind answering for me.

1) I can understand that the you tube has the video compressed down so is it nice and clear when viewed on a laptop or PC?

2) do you still use the suction mount or is there any other way of mounting up behind the rear view mirror?

3) Is the 120 degree angle wide enough to see pillar to pillar or is it as close as you really need it to see corner impact ect?

4) Is it best to use better USB leads or was your lead failure just a one off do you think? (while on topic do you have any pics of your modded lead or how you have it wired in?)

5) did the "loop" setting finally fix the issue with it not overwriting recording when memory card was full?

6) What do you think of its reliability I mean if you have had it since December 2013 or so until now can you see it lasting a while if looked after?

7) Have you seen any other cams that are close or better than this for the £15 to £30 price tag? if not I would say it safe to say that this Could be the best cam in that price range what you think?

also i came across this version just when I was close to buying one identical to yours

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Foxnovo-GS8000L-2-7-inch-Recorder-G-sensor/dp/B00HQYCJ0M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404941049&sr=8-1&keywords=gs8000l

it looks the same just with a chrome/mirror front so once again a spanner in the works lol! Every time I think I Have narrowed it down to one another one pops up ! lol! :)

Thanks in advanced James your advice and help is greatly appreciated.

just came across this one and i think it may be worth the money. i saw a few videos on you tube reviewing it and looks decent.

any opinions?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/E-PRANCE-Ambarella-A7LA50D-Recorder-Internal-Without-build--8GB-Memory/dp/B00JJI401E/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1405000254&sr=8-4&keywords=mini+0803

Yeah that FoxNova is a clone of the original, and not a great one at that!

In answer to your questions:

1)Much clearer, If you set youtube to display on there as 1080 you can get more of an accurate picture, but yes its generally clearer on PC than youtube.

2) I still use the suction mount. Its just mounted at the top just under the protected area of behind the mirror.

3) Its a very good view and offers the most part offers pillar to pillar visibility

4) I think my failure was a one off, a bad connection in the wire. Even then I replaced it with a 12v - USB adapter and a long USB cable.

5) It does loop for the most part, i.e. it does start to overwrite itself but its not an infinite loop, so once a month or so I just wipe the card and start again. I might do a test one day and see how long it goes from end to end, but I wiped it over a week ago and its estimating many hours of recording joy :p

6) I think its a fairly rugged unit, its built well and aside the odd wipe of the SD card it does the job perfectly, I expect that with the limited trouble I could easily get another year or two. The main "issue" I suspect I will have is the thing is always in pure sunlight, so the black has started to fade to bronze. If I leave it in the car as I do, and dont put the windows down a little on the scorching days, the buildup of heat will affect it over time, but for now, if it lasts me a couple of years from purchase I will be happy!

7) with a screen I have seen none that match the quality or specs with a screen. Alternatively you can (and I am considering) an upgrade to the Mobius over the longer term, as although it doesnt have the screen, it can be hooked up straight away to an android phone and the phone can become the screen. I am extremely satisfied with the quality of it though, but if I get another replacement, I dont tend to use the screen anywhere near as much as I thought I would, so I would get the mobius I suspect.

To be honest that cam looks good, but you can get them with GPS and more for that sorta money if you look in the right place.

thanks for reply James. I have defiantly narrowed it down to the gs8000l or the mini 0803. I know about the gps and all the trimmings on the mini0803 I saw the review by techmoan who seemed impressed with that cam, but would you really need gps and the sorts? I suppose if its around the same money as the same version without it you may as well take it.I want something that will last a few years as well

if it were up to you and long term what would you pic the gs8000l or mini0803?

As I haven't seen anything on the other one it would be the gs but if you read good reviews for the other then try it. You don't need gps as that only shows speed as long as you have a clean video date and time that's more than enough

Sent from my MY SAGA C2 using Ford OC mobile app

Get a mobius, honestly I think you are over thinking the screen part of things lol, its illegal to use it once the car is driving anyways and after a while you'll not even look at the screen anymore.

Gps is not worth the extra cost, all too often the way gps data is stored messy, either in some weird format only readable by software for the camera... software that is slow and inaccurate, the ones that can use Google maps etc store gps data along side video files, you'll have about 3 files for every clip of video with or without gps signal locked which takes a long time Btw.

I've had the mobius long enough to know it's a winner. Reliability 100% without any issue, video quality is perfection. Only two requirements that should be noted, compatible sd card either from the seller or the link Ben posted. Next is stable power, once those two are met the mobius is bullet proof

• Like 1

The mini 803 looks good Btw I think it would serve your needs well minus the video quality

Kurt the Möbius does look good and I like the size and quality of it. I just prefer to have a screen as this is what puts me of the Möbius. I also see some people extending the lens on the Möbius and other mods but for me I just would like to have a camera that's one unit and hardwire it into the car and leave it.

Not sure about your Möbius but I have read reviews saying that it overheats in long use due to it's size and the heatsink or something but this may not apply to all of the Möbius. Don't get me wrong it is a good camera and its size is perfect but I'd rather see where it's position is through a small screen also I saw a video showing software to download for the mobius to change on board settings and again its an extra step having to pull out the PC to change settings where as ones with screens I t can all be done in car in a matter of seconds.

Like i say the Möbius looks great but if it had a small screen I would be sold on it. Flashing leds for different modes is just too awkward for me and I would spend 20min at start of journeys wondering is it recording or what's flashing amber mean lol!

I think I may go for the standard version of the mini0803 for the front and the gs8000l for the rear. Will be getting one in the next month so I will let you guys know how things go.

Thanks guys. All advice and help was very useful. When ford start making cars with the dash can built it, it will take all the Hassel out of choosing what one to go for lol!

Kurt the Möbius does look good and I like the size and quality of it. I just prefer to have a screen as this is what puts me of the Möbius. I also see some people extending the lens on the Möbius and other mods but for me I just would like to have a camera that's one unit and hardwire it into the car and leave it.

Not sure about your Möbius but I have read reviews saying that it overheats in long use due to it's size and the heatsink or something but this may not apply to all of the Möbius. Don't get me wrong it is a good camera and its size is perfect but I'd rather see where it's position is through a small screen also I saw a video showing software to download for the mobius to change on board settings and again its an extra step having to pull out the PC to change settings where as ones with screens I t can all be done in car in a matter of seconds.

Like i say the Möbius looks great but if it had a small screen I would be sold on it. Flashing leds for different modes is just too awkward for me and I would spend 20min at start of journeys wondering is it recording or what's flashing amber mean lol!

I think I may go for the standard version of the mini0803 for the front and the gs8000l for the rear. Will be getting one in the next month so I will let you guys know how things go.

Thanks guys. All advice and help was very useful. When ford start making cars with the dash can built it, it will take all the Hassel out of choosing what one to go for lol!

Recently we've seen very hot weather and the mobius still going strong I have heard stories and seen pics of the so called mobius that melted, but I'd say that's nonsense and the mobius forum seems to think so aswell.

Mods are all optional mate you don't need to pull apart the mobius for anything car related, it has a lot of optional bits for use with other things such as remote planes etc it's all to do with personal preferences and purpose to your needs regarding mods but I can assure you none of that is needed, reliability is 100% with the mobius no need to worry if it's recording :- ) I can also respect your personal preference for a screen.

I thought the mini 0803 was a dual cam or am I mixing it up with another? I saw tech moan review one with an additional cam for the rear on a cable with a screen, it looked really good but video quality at best was 720p while recording in 1080p

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club