Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.6 Tdci Performance

nico long

hi everyone, wondering can anyone help me?

i am planning on doing some upgrades to my 1.6 tdci focus and was looking for some help..

it is only the 90 brake version and 150bhp is the target.. i have 110 injectors from a focus just need coding, stage 2 kevlar clutch, front mount intercooler, decat and stainless steel from turbo back.. any ideas on a turbo? hybrid is very expensive and the 110 focus turbo is different, variable vane or something.. and is a fcd needed for helping with fuel? any help would be great.. thanks..

There is someone on another forum that got 240+Hp out of the Focus PSA 1.6 engine, but it was overbored (bigger than a 1.6) and rebuilt/ almost everything was changed - a lot of mony spent (probably several thousand pounds)

There is a plateo? that is reached with the stock components and to go above that is probably not cost-effective and you may have been better off starting with something else as a base (eg - a 2.2L Mondeo, or the 2.0L Focus)

A simple and easy way to increase power from 88Hp (90PS) to 111Hp would be to Bluefin it -

http://www.mybluefin.co.uk/search?make=9&fueltype=2&model=2&variant=2709

the 110 injectors supply more diesel, (so more power potential) you have no DPF but the turbo is different, some owners have already fitted the 110 injectors to the 90PS, might be useful to track them down for advice

the Bluefinned 110 (141Hp) -

http://www.mybluefin.co.uk/curves/focus16tdci110bhp.pdf

150Hp is do-able, with a bit of work done/ money spent

On a diesel, because of the limited revs, fitting a larger turbo may result in more lag, tat may put a big "hole" in the powerband, and make the car slower out of corners, off the line etc (even though the peak "on paper" power is more ) you may be better sticking with your stock turbo and optimising it with careful intake/ inlet design and adding an electronic boost controller

To give you some ideas ive taken a TDDI 2.0 (Mondeo) from 113Hp to 160+Hp (when last dynoed- its quicker now) with stock injectors and stock turbo - (the sub 5sec 50-70mph in top would not have been possible with a hybrid/ bigger turbo due to the extra lag)

There is a bit more to it than just increasing the power, but reducing the weight, making the power do more (like the AC delete and the electric waterpump etc)

My build thread -

http://www.mybluefin.co.uk/curves/focus16tdci110bhp.pdf

thank you for your reply, yes i understand lag is an issue, dont think i want to go spending crazy money just thought around the 150 mark would be nice.. is there a way of fitting the 110 turbo to the 90?? if so that would suit me, slightly bigger injectors and turbo but still a factory focus part, with a remap should be 140 or so anyway.. thanks again for your help..

thank you for your reply, yes i understand lag is an issue, dont think i want to go spending crazy money just thought around the 150 mark would be nice.. is there a way of fitting the 110 turbo to the 90?? if so that would suit me, slightly bigger injectors and turbo but still a factory focus part, with a remap should be 140 or so anyway.. thanks again for your help..

Well, there are different ways of doing that - it is possible you could bring up the engine up to 110 spec, by replacing many of the components but you may have to replace the injectors, turbo, actuator and possibly other components, like the ECU, if you replaced the ECU you may have to replace the BCU, and the keys and lock (so the injectors, ECU, BCU, key and locks all from a 110/ matched)

Of course you would not add the DPF from the 110, the non-DPF with a bluefin/ demap should be a bit more than the 141Hp of a stock110/ bluefin/ remapped

Alternatively just change the injectors (+ the intercooler/ clutch etc) and get the 110 injectors coded and get a custom remap to optomise the extra capacity of the injectors (retaining the stock turbo)

if its a fixed-vane turbo you could add an electronic boost controller with adjustable boost - this will greatly reduce lag and give you as much boost as you need (or as much as the engine/ turbo can take :lol: ) a fixed vane turbo with electronic digital boost controller can outperform a VNT (+ you have adjustable boost, and no VNT to f....foul up) - the remap can take the extra boost into account

So you would get 140-150Hp but with very little lag and without "breaking the bank"

perfect! i will go ahead and put the front mount and upgraded clutch into the car then..followed by the injectors and a remap and adjustable boost controller.. thanks very much for your comments it was such a help..

• 1 year later...

maybe my post will help someone.

i suggest that you go for the GT1544V Hybrid Turbo Version, EGR delete, 110 injectors upgrade and 15-25% bigger intercooler FULL aluminium (not RS version), and a remap of course.

on my focus 1.6 tdci 109hp i've put the Hybrid GT1544V (the intake compressor wheel is with 2mm bigger and the exhast compressor whell is like the original, and the shaft the same), full aluminium intercooler with 15% bigger, egr delete and remap.

the car i think has ~150 HP, or maybe more, i'll put it on a dyno in 2-3 weeks.

cheers

L.E. : This configuration does not affect the realiability of the car, but to get ~140HP with the stock turbo will not last very much.

To get more from this engine injectors nozzles should be upgraded from the M57 D30 BMW ENGINE .

• Like 2

don't suppose you have BMW part numbers there?

are they coded in the same manor as the stock 110 injectors on the 1.6 tdci

@Dee_82 the injector nozzles can be upgraded from the ones used on BMW engine, tomorrow i'll share the part number from the Bosch Esitronic

liking this topic coming along nicely

Rather than the fixed map Bluefin, which is detectable by Ford, why not look at the cheaper adjustable Spider Arachnid that you can get a 30% off discount from currently, more power/torque than Bluefin, user selectable modes and completely undetectable. take a look at the spider tuning thread for details and discount code

Stephen 1.6 tdci @ 153 BHP 360nm torque

Nozzle Bosch code: 0433171616 ;

I think 153BHP is too much with the stock turbo( if is not a fake value), you are affecting too much the reliability of the turbo and we all know there are many turbo problems with the GT1544V. And using a powerbox to tune the ecu, will damage in time the electronics parts from the ecu.

Remap from a tunner that doesnt set ecu read off ( some encrypt the first lines of the map )

The Spider is NOT a normal tuning box so you cnat compare it to others, It's basically a computerised remap, it does what a human remap does dynamically and learns your engines optimum setings. it NEVER takes any parameters outside that specified by Ford, It also doesn't increase the ECU's MAP reset count like the bluetooth does. It has a 10 year warranty and guaranteed not to damage your car. It also takes multiple sender feeds and not just the fuel pressure

It has several settings (adjustable from your phone) from ECO that favours fuel economy with some extra torque, through 4 Fast road settings to Race and OFF. You can change on the fly, ie don't take grandma down to the shops in Race setting!, you'll probably want ECO for that

The Bluefin writes a new map to the ECU and hence has the potential to fail half way and brick the chip. The Spider is completely removable at any time. hence the Sider is SAFER, cheaper and potential far more power as it will adjust and allow for your mods, Something the Bluefin doesn't do with its fixed map, Takes me 7 mins to fit it. In fact its coming out tonight as I have a Ford service tomorrow and I'm still under warranty

The Spider is considered the top tuning chip out there, it doesn't just up the fuel pressure like the cheaper ones, also if you later change the injectors etc, you can force it to remap itself to take in account the new abilities

Take a look at www.dieseltuning.co.uk for more details and check the spider tuning thread for the discount code

How does it take multiple sensor feeds when it's only connected to fuel & air delivery sensors ?

That is multiple, most tuning boxes only take the fuel pressure. Spider produce the needed harness for each car, some have up to 4 sensors wired. The focus only needs 2

in my opinion remap is better, because its a custom map developed for the wear of the engine.
when you do remap the next parameters are changed:acceleration pedal potentiometer, injection time, injection, pre-injection, rail pressure, rail pressure limit, turbo pressure, turbo pressure limitator, overboost time control, and many more that i forgot maybe.

(sorry for my bad english)

• Like 1

Yes agreed a full remap is the best solution as it can be perfect for your car and a lot more parameters taken care of, the drawback as it doesn't change as your car wears or is altered and the skill of it all relies on the tuner (there are good and bad). parameters can be changed beyond that of the manufacturers so it should produce the most power. And once in you are fxed and have lost your warranty

The spider does a custom tune on the fly, but can retune at any time (fewer parameters thought) to allow for changes. its removable, its cheaper, its safer and it gets 90% of what a full custom tune can do, and you can change the tune to suit your mood and passengers, its removable and no warranty loss

i looked at the indicated website ( http://www.dieseltuning.co.uk/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=761_768&product_id=1966 ), says 146PS for this engine and this is too much again for this small engine. A maximum of 128-130 PS real without affecting the reliability, and with the price of this box you can easily make a custom remap.

in this topic i think people are intersted in mechanical upgrades, they already know what ecu tune can be done to this small engine.

cheers

• 2 years later...
On 17/7/2015 at 9:16 PM, ELEV said:

maybe my post will help someone.

i suggest that you go for the GT1544V Hybrid Turbo Version, EGR delete, 110 injectors upgrade and 15-25% bigger intercooler FULL aluminium (not RS version), and a remap of course.

on my focus 1.6 tdci 109hp i've put the Hybrid GT1544V (the intake compressor wheel is with 2mm bigger and the exhast compressor whell is like the original, and the shaft the same), full aluminium intercooler with 15% bigger, egr delete and remap.

the car i think has ~150 HP, or maybe more, i'll put it on a dyno in 2-3 weeks.

cheers

L.E. : This configuration does not affect the realiability of the car, but to get ~140HP with the stock turbo will not last very much.

To get more from this engine injectors nozzles should be upgraded from the M57 D30 BMW ENGINE .

I got quoted 140 bhp and an extra 75nm of torque with an egr delete is that right?So if I just get a straight remap done the turbo will blow? Someone help me please car is doing my head in with the lack of power want to upgrade without damaging the engine

153 bhp, 440 torque, everything standard

spider arachnid chip, removable in 3 mins

i’ve done 30k miles on this now with no issues

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/04/2018 at 1:45 PM, madmole said:

153 bhp, 440 torque, everything standard

spider arachnid chip, removable in 3 mins

i’ve done 30k miles on this now with no issues

I'm literally a short email away from booking my car in with Celtic Tuning for a permanent remap.

Posts from yourself on numerous threads are making me think I should go with a Spider! I live an hour away from Celtic Tuning and the £250.00 they're quoting me is very attractive. They are a good firm and have done a few of my previous cars.

I love the idea of the Spider though, removable, controllable via an app on my phone etc, i'm very techy and it sounds awesome with a similar if not exact power increase.

You ain't half thrown a spanner in the works! Mines a 2013 with 13000 miles on the clock! 

Mine had the Spider put on with only 5K on the clock and now has 36K, No issues at all. Its a 2013 just like yours. I also put on a K&N and removed the snorkel at the same time. Only problem is I tended to drive harder round corners so I ended up getting the Whitelines adjustable rear anti roll bar, which improved the handling a lot. I also put a polybush in the rear engine mount to stop the engine twist at hard pull away

Yours is out of warranty so you don't need to worry about a remap showing up, just make sure yourve done all your other mods before its mapped, otherwise the map would be slightly wrong and of course, as the engine wears the fixed map isn't perfect. The spider is always re-tuning  so allows for wear, tear and updgrades.                

• Like 1

On 5/9/2018 at 4:58 PM, SamCappo said:

I'm literally a short email away from booking my car in with Celtic Tuning for a permanent remap.

Posts from yourself on numerous threads are making me think I should go with a Spider! I live an hour away from Celtic Tuning and the £250.00 they're quoting me is very attractive. They are a good firm and have done a few of my previous cars.

I love the idea of the Spider though, removable, controllable via an app on my phone etc, i'm very techy and it sounds awesome with a similar if not exact power increase.

You ain't half thrown a spanner in the works! Mines a 2013 with 13000 miles on the clock! 

I also use a tuning box from DieselTuning.co.uk, mine engine is the 1.8 TDCi so not the same engine as yours so the user experience may vary although the principle is the same.

I've tried all the various performance modes for at least a full tank per setting, my engine has 148K miles on the clock and is still running well.  The (mid) setting Road 3 is what I've settled on, still getting around 55 MPG on a long motorway run doing a solid 70MPH and a bit of "spirited" overtaking.  Overall I'm pleased with the performance and economy with the box fitted (only paid £80 for it....thank you ebay). 🤑

For the increase in performance over "stock" I'd personally say I would have been happy to pay £200, maybe £250 at a push.  Their current price of £450 is a bit of a p1ss take IMHO, also don't expect to be able to contact them if you have any questions.  Back when I looking at buying the box I sent 2 messages through the web site, 2 emails and tried calling the number on the web site about 20 times over a 1 week period.  I didn't get a single response to any of my attempts to contact them, not what I expected from a company that is charging "premium" prices.

I agree that the ability to transfer the box to different cars by just buying a different loom is a definite plus point but at almost double the cost of the Celtic Tuning remap quote I'm not sure I personally see quite that much value in it.  Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to put a downer on you potentially buying a tuning box, I'm happy with mine but wanted to share my experience with the company and box because there aren't that many people on here that have posted about their long term experiences with it.

On 5/11/2018 at 2:29 PM, 1979Damian said:

I also use a tuning box from DieselTuning.co.uk, mine engine is the 1.8 TDCi so not the same engine as yours so the user experience may vary although the principle is the same.

I've tried all the various performance modes for at least a full tank per setting, my engine has 148K miles on the clock and is still running well.  The (mid) setting Road 3 is what I've settled on, still getting around 55 MPG on a long motorway run doing a solid 70MPH and a bit of "spirited" overtaking.  Overall I'm pleased with the performance and economy with the box fitted (only paid £80 for it....thank you ebay). 🤑

For the increase in performance over "stock" I'd personally say I would have been happy to pay £200, maybe £250 at a push.  Their current price of £450 is a bit of a p1ss take IMHO, also don't expect to be able to contact them if you have any questions.  Back when I looking at buying the box I sent 2 messages through the web site, 2 emails and tried calling the number on the web site about 20 times over a 1 week period.  I didn't get a single response to any of my attempts to contact them, not what I expected from a company that is charging "premium" prices.

I agree that the ability to transfer the box to different cars by just buying a different loom is a definite plus point but at almost double the cost of the Celtic Tuning remap quote I'm not sure I personally see quite that much value in it.  Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to put a downer on you potentially buying a tuning box, I'm happy with mine but wanted to share my experience with the company and box because there aren't that many people on here that have posted about their long term experiences with it.

Really appreciate all that info mate. After further thought I'm going to spend the money on cosmetic enhancements and a new fuel filter! I've just come from a newish Type R so I'm never going to get close to the performance so there isn't much point and it's not what I bought the car for.

Black wheels, window tints and wind deflectors will do for now. 

Thanks everyone for your advice, really helps 🙂

Have you checked out HDI tuning. The owner Steve has done testing on these engines to give the optimum power. I'm planning on getting their stage 1+ map done on my 1.6 tdci engine (90hp) adding 30hp and 70nm

Well I was waiting a while until they got back to me to post about this, but I'll put it here, not attempting to hijack btw, but just a follow up for those considering a Spider and worried about communication.

I bought a 2nd hand Spider which was originally for a 2.0d BMW engine.  I got in touch with Spider UK and got a short email back saying that loom SPD131 was what I needed.  When it arrived I found out it only had plugs for the fuel rail and not MAP sensor.

I got back in touch with Spider to query it and got no reply for ages.  I managed to track down one of their resellers in New Zealand would you believe - a guy called Adrian Sole, really really helpful.  He told me that as far as he was aware, I needed SPD232-S for my car (same engine as madmoles btw).

In the meantime I heard back form Amelia at Spider to say that SPD131 was the correct loom - confusing!  Anyway, I ordered the 232-S and when it arrived I hooked it up to the car.

Absolutely no difference.  No lumpiness to start with, not improvement after 50 miles, on any setting.  I corresponded back and forth with Adrian, who was really helpful considering he had nothing to gain from it, and he couldn't think of anything else to try (having tried everything!).  He also mentioned that Spider UK are manically busy at the moment (with what, I don't know) but that's probably the reason communication has been a bit sporadic.

Anyway, I managed to get a hold of someone on live chat on Spider's website who was really helpful, and wanted to go through what I'd done etc, photos of where I'd installed it.

Next day, got a live chat again, this time with Mike Marsden himself - the MD of Spider, DTS Chiptuning, Marsden Technologies and Euroturbo. Again, he was really helpful and keen to get things sorted, in the end offering a brand new box to me half price on sale or return if I couldn't get it working and willing to refund me for the other two looms I'd bought.  He also said that both SPD131 and SPD232-S can be used on the 1.6TDCi engine and that they reverted to online communication as opposed to the phone number.

Anyway, no luck again with the new box - it was just like it wasn't there.

Back in touch with Spider on the online chat, this time with Nick.  Already totally up to speed with my circumstances so no time wasted explaining again.  He made a few suggestions and also consulted with Mike.  In the end, they suggested returning the box so they could analyse it and see what readings they could get.  They reckon the only reason it isn't working is because my car has already been mapped.

Seeing as I'm the second owner after Europcar, it's unlikely, but they said they are keen to find out what's what and will stay in touch.

So my particular story is that, for some reason, two Spider boxes didn't work on my car.  There is obviously a underlying reason for this specific to my situation and is not indicative of the quality of Spider's product as plenty of people have said that they are amazing, @madmole in particular, and I believe them!

I just wanted to make it clear that the best way to get in touch with Spider is through the live chat on their website, but at the moment it's a bit hit and miss as to whether they are online.  When they are, they are absolutely as helpful and responsive as you could wish for.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club