• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• darren butler

• jeebowhite

• artscot79

• Invisible Man

i had this once the other week, car just stuck at 3000 revs after slowing down, stuck my foot to the floor and it reset....

I believe they have electronic inputs and its nothing mechanical....dodgy sensors perhaps?

Did u stick ur foot to the floor while the car was running? Ya I've replaced the throttle control sensor and the sensor under the engine still the same,it's a head scratcher

Did u stick ur foot to the floor while the car was running? Ya I've replaced the throttle control sensor and the sensor under the engine still the same,it's a head scratcher

I was pulling into a side street off a side street to turn the car round after just setting off. I accelerated quite hard and swung the car in, but the revs stayed up, so I hammered my foot to the floor, whilst the car rolled back slightly of its own momentum, they then dropped quicker than they would do in a normal circumstance. Very strange indeed, first time it has ever happened and it hasn't happened since.

Good luck with it mate

Might try that because I don't know what to change next except maybe the throttle housing,thanks pal

I think your on the right tracks there, your probably looking at either the throttle position sensor, or the throttle body itself. It could be that the throttle blody is sticking open (due to carbon buildup) so a removal and spit polish wont do it any harm at all.

No I changed the sensor so I'm guessing it's the throttle body itself mate at least I'm hoping so,it sounds ridiculous

with no info on the car year etc if its an older focus then the idle control valve if newere the guys above have the nail hit

It's a 01 1.6 ghia I've heard it's a common problem with them it sounds like an automatic choke not working right,I'm prob totally wrong but that's how it sounds

on an 0-1 it will be the idle control valve its a common issue if this fails then the car will struggle to drop the revs as it gets stuck easy to change just 3 10mm bolts youll find it near the right hand side of the engine by the battery area disconnect the connector to it and try the car at idle if the revs drop thats youre problem

if its an 01, then thats a MK1.5 Focus I suspect, and that would be the idle control valve.

One more question has anybody had any problems with lights going bright then dul both outside and inside the car I know it sounds like the alternator but that was changed and still having the problem

more likely to be the battery. Check that its a silver calcium one, and guestimate its age.

If the battery is wearing out, then it will fluctuate on voltage even with the new alternator. Your best bet, is if the battery looks old (definatey if its a lead acid, or any but silver calcium) then you should definately look to get it replaced. Go for something like the Bosch S4 if its compatibile with the battery box size, its a very good battery (been there, had two!)

yeah, but a clean battery doesnt necessarily mean its a new battery.

Also I dont believe that the Halfords batteries are as standard Silver Calcium that they direct Ford owners to.

Best bet, get the model number off the battery and post it up, we can check if its silver calcium or otherwise.

dimming when at idle is normal let me guess it gets brighter as you rev? simply put thats perfectly normal on the mk1 no amount of alternators will change that it is worth checking the battery though

you can expect a small amount of dimming, but if your noticing it that much (almost disco style) you definatey have an issue

Does that battery have a make on there (Bosch, Halfords, Motorcroft etc?)

EDIT: I googled that and it comes up as Halfords, it looks to be a LEAD ACID battery, which as far as I know is not compatible with the Ford Smart Charge system that you probably have in your Focus.. You would need a Silver Calcium battery - you can get these from Euro Car Parts (better supplier I have dealt with).

I would suggest, call your local Ford Dealer and speak to the parts team, ask them for your number plate, should you have a silver calcium battery and ask them for their price. They will confirm that its silver calcium you need (I suspect) but dont let them order it, then take the info to Euro Car Parts and buy yourself the right battery.

I think the 05 is slightly larger, but you probably could get away with it!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club