Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Fuel Pump Help Please!

Little Lee86

Hi I'm new here so hope I'm doing this right!

So I have a ford focus 1999 1.8 petrol! about a month ago I returned home and gave the car to the mrs as she tried to start the car it wudnt! I Called me dad round to have a look he said sounds like ur not gettin any fuel! As the car tried to turn over just wudnt fire up! Did some research leant it cud b the fuel pump! Came home from work the next day the car started!

Bout a week later same thing checked the fuel pump fuse and this time it had blown replaced and after a couple cranks it turned over!

Last Tuesday pickin the mrs up from work car does the same thing refused to start the fuse hadn't blown got car home Thursday and realized the fuel pump wasn't kickin in! I have replaced it yesterday but unfortunately my battery had died I got it bak on car today! Tried to fire up and car won't fire! I have disconnected the fuel line from the engine block and turn the key and I get fuel pumped threw now so I no the pump is workin if i remove the air filter pipe and dribble fuel straight into the ?!?!? Not sure what this is I assume its like a carb ???? The car will turn over but only runs till that fuel runs out we fed it like that for a couple minutes to see if it helps in any way but unfortunately it does not I am scratchin my head as I dnt no what else it cud b ppl on here have had similar problems n ppl blame air filters sensors exhausts but the car runs if we feed it direct so I dnt think it can b any of these issues bc surely the car wudnt start if a sensor was sayin something is rong! And anythin else seemed to b ok prior to the fuel pump dyin! (We did try connectin old pump straight the battery n it gave nothin! I have had a meter on all fuses and all are ok) please help!

Have you checked the fuel pump cut off switch in the drivers footwell?

It's behind the right hand side kick panel and the reset button is accessible via a little square slot found there.

Thankyou for the reply Stoney! I have checked this was one of the first things I did on Tuesday as the mrs old punto had a similar problem were the button kept poppin up had to be replaced! It has me baffled! Inshud have mentioned I got the pump from a scrap yard is this a bad move even tho it seems to be pumpin fuel threw!

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

If the part was guaranteed working then all money saved is good :)

I think a systematic check of wiring, earthing points and relays is in order tbh.

As the pump is working have you checked for damaged fuel lines or clogged filter?

I have been under car this afternoon making sure no leaks as there was a old oil stain under car! The fuel is runnin all the way to the rail(I think it's called that) if there is a blockage it wudnt get that far wud it? We have obviously had it runnin manually for a good few minutes today am a couple of times to so hopefully if there was air in system it has flushed it! We have turned key couple times to

Make sure pump has primed engine properly but :-( We have manually fed engine and had the fuel line in a bottle to see how the flow is and wen I hit accelerated it sped up so I assume it's pumpin properly! I switched the relays around swappd fuel pump with lights and swapped others that matched each other! Thanks for ur time much appreciated!

I have not yet looked at sensors bc in my head it runs wen manually add fuel so thought they wud b ok! But can it run if it is dead wen we had fuel manually?

So I have researched what the fuel pressure sensor looks like as I have no idea and it's comin back as the thing connected to the side of the rail that looks like a tyre valve! I had an older Nieghbour helpin out on this as he is abit of a grease monkey and knows his way around a car he had me yesterday press the valve is when the engine was runnin from the manual feed of fuel just to make sure if there was any air in the pipe work it wud b released! And it was pumpin fuel out of this ! What that indicate an error or does it sound ok! I am gonna shoot out and remove this an give it a clean and replace n see if it helps AT&T all!

Quick update we manage to get the car startin on its own had it runnin for 5-10 mins tried holdin revs a little higher than idle then increase and increase! All seems good but as soon as u try to accelerate away it just stutters and dies! And after a couple more attempts I have ended up bak to square 1 were it won't even start! Any ideas

• 2 weeks later...

Just a little update! Put it in a garage!

Day 1 I hadn't put air filter pipe on properly it's runnin fine! I argued with the fact the air pipe came off bc car wudnt start but ok So we collect pay £20 get in the car altho it started as soon as we drove off it stalled n wudnt start again!

Day 2 when fittin the fuel pump there is 3 o-rings that go in with the fuel pipes I had split 1 he didn't have any I wud have to wait til Monday luckily I had some off the old pump! Took them down was told it wud b ready in an hr so I went shoppin givin 2n half hrs rang them up to b told my fuel rail was fuk3d it wud b Monday before they cud do it!

Day 3 fuel rail gets fitted for £45 some1 will ring u wen it's done! No call

Day 4 I call to pick car up to b told it's an electrical fault witht the injectors there is and electrician comin out to check it at there expense on Mine told to call bak at 12 rang at 2:30 to be told electrician not bin! They wud call me! No call!

Day 5 I rang n was told there no electrical fault all comes bak clear they think it's the fuel pump I put on! Even tho I was get fuel pumped to the engine they cud get it idle under load it died so they put on a new fuel pump n BINGO it's workin ;-)

So my advice is dnt buy a fuel pump from scrap yard but if u do buy 2!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club